Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,915 times

Advertisements

Another thing about Austin and the TX Hill County that could be a good or bad thing for some people is it gets rain. So that can make it very green, wild flowers in spring and it has a lot of very nice rivers. Arizona can get very dry and very brown at times with the low amounts of annual precipitation it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:04 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Another thing about Austin and the TX Hill County that could be a good or bad thing for some people is it gets rain. So that can make it very green, wild flowers in spring and it has a lot of very nice rivers. Arizona can get very dry and very brown at times with the low amounts of annual precipitation it gets.
Your right, I was thinking more like Dallas temps. For several reasons, I do think that Austin is the crown jewel of TX. They also have the lake which is a big plus in my book.

I've never spent much time in Austin other than flying in and out for work. But it looks like they get a couple inches of rain per month. The forecast in Phoenix from late October till early May: Sunny 98% of the day.

I'd pick Austin by a nose if I was going to live their year round. Hands down I'd pick Phoenix if I was looking for a sunny winter warm spot. But your mileage may vary.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM

What could I expect to pay monthly for a furnished SFR short term rental from Nov-April in PHX metro area? I'm sure it would vary by location considerably. But curious if anyone has done this and what they paid. I like the zero hassle factor of just checking into a furnished rental in Nov and then checking out in April, with no worries on my mind and no maintenance & repairs costs.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
What could I expect to pay monthly for a furnished SFR short term rental from Nov-April in PHX metro area? I'm sure it would vary by location considerably. But curious if anyone has done this and what they paid. I like the zero hassle factor of just checking into a furnished rental in Nov and then checking out in April, with no worries on my mind and no maintenance & repairs costs.
You would be cherry picking the best months for a nice home. More in spots like Fountain Hills (as an example). $2K a month for November and Dec min for something decent. $500 more for January. $500-$800 more for Feb and March.

When I rented, I charged $3K a month minimum. But I strongly prefered by the week during because I got $1500-$2000 a week during peak. You would need to find someone who prefered renting my the month and they are out their. But the pickings get tough. That's because even when I rented, I wanted x amount of weeks myself. A rare person will let you use their spot for the entire time.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Will have to check Airbnb, Craigslist and VRBO.com come this late fall. I'll have to do a trial run down there this late fall/winter. I know I will like the outdoor stuff in Arizona (Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, local PHX stuff, Saguaro NP in Tucson, etc...) and the sunny warm weather...but I have to see if I like living in the PHX area Nov-April. I haven't really explored the PHX area in detail yet, but I know it's made up of a lot of suburban sprawl, tract homes and chain oriented strip centers. Not a lot of character or charm. That might be OK, I've just never lived in heavy new suburban cookie cutter tract areas, I will have to see how I like that.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Also having owned a lot of primary residence and rental property in my life, sometimes when you look at the total cost of ownership of houses, even paying a premium for a rental can be a better deal. Especially when you factor in the time and stress involved in keeping up two houses at a distance. Whether you pay cash or mortgage it would also come into play. I think the IRS took away the interest deduction on 2nd home vacation property right? How long do you have to live in a house for it to be considered your primary (to write off the interest and property taxes)? I'm guessing more then 6 mos.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:28 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times
Quote:
Will have to check Airbnb, Craigslist and VRBO.com come this late fall. I'll have to do a trial run down there this late fall/winter. I know I will like the outdoor stuff in Arizona (Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, local PHX stuff, Saguaro NP in Tucson, etc...) and the sunny warm weather...but I have to see if I like living in the PHX area Nov-April. I haven't really explored the PHX area in detail yet, but I know it's made up of a lot of suburban sprawl, tract homes and chain oriented strip centers. Not a lot of character or charm. That might be OK, I've just never lived in heavy new suburban cookie cutter tract areas, I will have to see how I like that.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to find a monthly rental FOR this late fall through the winter, correct? If this is your intention, you will need to get on VRBO, Airbnb, etc. more like now, not shortly before you intend to be in Phoenix, & get your space reserved, or take what's left come this fall, if anything. Especially if you're looking to lease by the month throughout the peak season, you will have less to choose from on those sites from the get-go.

As noted above, the by-the-month for the entire peak season rentals are out there, but they do not predominate.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
I haven't really explored the PHX area in detail yet, but I know it's made up of a lot of suburban sprawl, tract homes and chain oriented strip centers. Not a lot of character or charm. That might be OK
Agree that you should check things out before you judge and make conclusions.

Phoenix metro/surrounding suburbs is a big area with just about any housing option/style you want including historic districts and mid-century homes and earlier if that's what you want/desire that might fit your definition of "character" or "charm".

Old 06-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks Montanama for the suggestion. This year I may just do an Extended Stay hotel for a month or so just to see if the PHX area is where I want to spend winters. But that is good advice to reserve early for a 5 month furnished rental. And stevek64 you are right I have to check it out before making judgments.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
My in-laws always have to book a year in advance (or earlier) to get a house during snowbird season and even then things are picked over and hard to get for the entire time. They often have to switch places mid stay because they can't find anything for the whole period even a year in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area