Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times

Advertisements

I went out for an hour-long jog yesterday around 4pm and while it was hot, it wasn't that bad. I had my CamelBak with me and drank a good amount of water before leaving. The treadmill doesn't do it for me. Am I nuts?

Other than staying hydrated and using sun protection are there other factors that I should be considering? Anyone else still getting out to run/walk/bike in this heat? In my quest to get healthier, I don't want to inadvertently turn into a pile of bones on the side of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I went out for an hour-long jog yesterday around 4pm and while it was hot, it wasn't that bad. I had my CamelBak with me and drank a good amount of water before leaving. The treadmill doesn't do it for me. Am I nuts?

Other than staying hydrated and using sun protection are there other factors that I should be considering? Anyone else still getting out to run/walk/bike in this heat? In my quest to get healthier, I don't want to inadvertently turn into a pile of bones on the side of the road.
I saw someone running on a trail in Estrella Mountain Park yesterday while I was driving by. Around the same time.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
I keep up the bicycling portion of my daily commute even in the summer heat. The morning portion is easy; the afternoon return trip requires more planning. I change into shorts for the ride home; apply plenty of sunblock; and drink lots of water before, during, and after the ride. Besides the steps you mention, I'd add that it's a good idea to wear light-colored clothing and a hat.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
I wondered this too. Between heating up my body via the excercise and the air temperature itself, is drinking water while exercising outside enough to prevent heat stroke? I'm not sure I understand how heat stroke works--in my mind your body temperature just gets too high. (Not a doctor, lol)

Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Doesn't seem like it would be good for the body to heat up that much with exercise and 110 heat. I do mine in the early morning or at night after the sun goes down.

Heck, we've tried going on a walk during the day with lots of water, sunblock, wide brim hats, etc. and about died half way through. Can't imagine running in that heat.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
I wondered this too. Between heating up my body via the excercise and the air temperature itself, is drinking water while exercising outside enough to prevent heat stroke? I'm not sure I understand how heat stroke works--in my mind your body temperature just gets too high. (Not a doctor, lol)
Exactly what I was wondering. If well enough hydrated, is heat-stroke completely preventable regardless of the air temperature?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
I run in the heat as well but I don't usually carry water. I have a specific route along the CAP canal system in South Phoenix that allows me access to drinking fountains at various parks along the way. The longest distance between water stops is about 3/4 of a mile. Just know your limits, listen to your body, and you'll be fine. Last summer I logged about 25 miles per week without incident and the vast majority of my runs were after work in the evening.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:00 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Took the kids to the park both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, ran around and hit baseballs and threw the football. Got flag football practice for my son tonight at 5:30 and a game from 6:30-7:30 and we will all be fine I'm sure. We hydrate before we go out and while we are out, and wear sunscreen. It's not really that bad. Side note: There's hundreds of kids out playing football and soccer and I haven't seen anyone pass out. Just need to be smart and I think everyone here knows about hydrating. These kids are as young as 4-5 too. Better than rotting and playing video games IMO and we can take a dip in the pool afterwards.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:07 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Besides my own year-round bike commuting, I should have added something I see outside my window in the summer: There's a group of trail runners who convene on Wednesday evenings at the trailhead down the street -- but only when the temperature is 105 or higher. These runners seem to embrace the heat, maybe because they genuinely like it or maybe to prove they can withstand it.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Besides my own year-round bike commuting, I should have added something I see outside my window in the summer: There's a group of trail runners who convene on Wednesday evenings at the trailhead down the street -- but only when the temperature is 105 or higher. These runners seem to embrace the heat, maybe because they genuinely like it or maybe to prove they can withstand it.
That's funny. The reason I was beginning to question my sanity is that the trailhead near my house is usually full with cars, but I haven't seen anyone there for several days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area