Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:47 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

I have some friends coming to visit from Romania for 3 weeks and I'm putting together a list of places to eat while they are here. The thing is, they like (are impressed) by fancy/grand places but also good food...so both are requirements. I know there are a lot of hole in the wall places with great food but that's not what I'm looking for.

What do you guys recommend for a Mexican restaurant that looks good and also has good food?

Here are the other restaurants I have on the list to get a gist of things...

Sapporo Teppanyahi (for teppanyaki)
Cheesecake Factory (general stuff, but nice place and lots of variety)
Flemings (for steak)
Maggianos (for Italian)
PF Changs (for Chinese)
Red Lobster (for sea food)
Pizzaria Bianco (for pizza)

And for a more casual lunch/dinner...Sakana Sushi and Chili's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Please don't take them to chains such as Red Lobster, Chilis, PF Changs, etc. These are the WalMarts of the food industry. In fact they might have run into some of these places overseas. And I'm not being holier than thou - I had taco bell for lunch! But honestly, there are so many good, local places that deserve support.

You hit the ball out of the park with Biancos for Pizza. It really is unique to AZ. Keep going with that line of thought. Sapporo is also cool.

Mexican? Tradiciones at the Ranch Market on 16th st. & Roosevelt. Mariachis, si!
For Sushi - Hana
Steak - Durants - a local legend. Old school Sinatra swank.
Italian? Best scene would be Postino. It might not be the best example of italian food, but visitors will love the people watching.
Chinese? Take them to the Ranch 99 market and Golden Buddah in E. PHX or Lee Lee's Market & C-FU Gourmet in Chandler.

It's hard to make more suggestions as I don't know the demographics or your budgets. Elements on Camelback is jet set great, as is the Valley Ho or Mondrain, but so is the chile burger with beer at Greasewood Flats - depending on the entourage.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,638 times
It looks like you have a good mix of big chain restaurants as well as some local restaurants on your list. Given this, then maybe Garduno's, Old Town Tortilla Factory, El Encanto, or Cantina Laredo would fit your need.

Given that they like fancy/grand places, I think you should add a Sunday brunch at a nice resort to your list of places. Maybe Lon's at the Hermosa or T. Cook's at Royal Palms. The Scottsdale Conference Resort also does a very nice Sunday brunch.

Red Lobster? Really? I don't think they are good or grand/fancy, but this is just my opinion. If you want fancy/grand or good seafood, then I recommend Ocean Club or The Salt Cellar. I think you should also add a Thai place to your list and go to Malee's up at Desert Ridge and maybe add a Spanish night and go to Barcelona's (they actually have pretty decent food, and the place is very fancy/grand).

Also, I would recommend The White Chocolate Grill over Cheesecake Factory, but that is just a personal preference.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Joninaz: I'm with you on the places you recommend, but trust me, they wouldn't be. Durant's is too run down for what I'm trying to go with. I know places like Cheesecake Factory are a chain, but you can't deny they look very nice inside...same with most of the other places on the list.

Red Lobster, I don't know...I like their king crab legs and the decor is nice, the whole boat dock/fisherman house type of settings. I know Ocean Club is fancy but I kind of want something along the lines of how Red Lobster looks, something with a theme.

We're hitting up Barcelona's for New Years Eve, the whole 4 course dinner thing they do, because I agree, the place is very fancy/grand...I havn't had their food but I hear it's good.

I haven't heard of The White Chocolate Grill, where is it at? Also, does anyone know if Cafe Lux at Scottsdale Fashion Square has opened yet?

A few of the other places I mentioned, such as Cheesecake Factory are fairly close to my house, which is nice, I don't want to drive 30+ minutes for everything. Other places, like PF Changs, are on Mill Ave so I was trying to figure out a way to fit in a place that's nice but also on Mill. I think they will like Mill Ave at night with the bridge and the Ficus all lit up.
I am planning on going by the Mondrian but for the ultra lounge there, not to eat.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
It looks like you have a good mix of big chain restaurants as well as some local restaurants on your list. Given this, then maybe Garduno's, Old Town Tortilla Factory, El Encanto, or Cantina Laredo would fit your need.
I like some of your ideas. I haven't been to any of these places, haven't even heard of most, but I'm looking them up online and they look nice.

The El Encanto looks especially nice...

http://www.elencantorestaurant.com/images/gallery1.jpg (broken link)

Thanks for the other suggestions but I don't know if we'll even have time for it all. They are coming for 24 days, but will be in Phoenix only 10...the rest of the time we're going to San Francisco and Vegas!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM

84 posts, read 364,010 times
Default Mexican

Los Dos Molinos -- 8646 South Central Avenue. Not glamorous, but certainly not a hole-in-the-wall. Authentic Sonoran/Chihuahuan, Hatch chilis, and some of the best salsa fresca you'll ever know.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 AM

25 posts, read 62,556 times
Abuelos is probably ideal for what you are seeking. It's a very nice chain that has a wonderful ambience and good food. It's a chain as well. I wouldn't eat there but I understand that when you are entertaining foreign guests, it's more impressive to take them to a physically appealing place than a hole in the wall with great food.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 AM

25 posts, read 62,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
Los Dos Molinos -- 8646 South Central Avenue. Not glamorous, but certainly not a hole-in-the-wall. Authentic Sonoran/Chihuahuan, Hatch chilis, and some of the best salsa fresca you'll ever know.
It's relatively a hole in the wall. I know there are far worse places but LoS Dos looks a lot worse on the interior than even On the Border.

I love Los Dos Molinos and I think the restaurant has a lot of charm but I think foreign guests would consider it a run down place especially when you compare their interior to a place like Abuelos

Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Here's a few spots that have decent Mexican food.
Abuelo's...good food and great ambience. Near Arrowhead Mall.
Monty's La Casa Vieja...good food and ambience. Tempe
Manuel's...great food, some ambience. Family owned chain through out the valley.
Jordans...great food, little ambience. No Central Phoenix on 7th St.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 AM

I'm familiar with the Abuelo's at Arrowhead, I've never been but it does look like a nice place and it's close to home. I had never heard any reviews on their food but it sounds like it should be ok, thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area