Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some insight on what you guys think is the hands down BEST Mexican food that Phoenix has to offer. We will be there for our yearly visit for 10 days and I wanted to make sure I got the locals opinions.

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations that would be much appreciated as well. We stay in North Scottsdale when we come out and usually hit the same spots every year like Houstons, Grimaldis etc...but any other recommendations would be great. Thanks and God Bless!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Well, it's been awhile, but I'd go to TeePee down on Indian School Road in Phoenix. That's been about the best place. Or, if you like it super hot, Los Dos Molinos is a sure bet. None are in N. Scottsdale but then I don't know of a good Mexican restaurant in N. Scottsdale except for one a friend likes but the name escapes me right now. Maybe check out Yelp or google on it although I'm sure you'll get many ideas here. One restaurant I will recommend that is in N. Scottsdale would be Flo's if you like Chinese. I'd also recommend Maggiano's even though it is a large chain. Both are up in The Promenade at Scottsdale Rd. and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 06-04-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Traditional Mexican food doesn't settle too well with me. I prefer the healthier choices like Baja Fresh and Rubio's. They are chain restaurants, but at least you can get a reasonably priced meal there with a reduced amount of the fat & cholesterol which the standard Mexican restaurants tend to serve. Only thing to watch & avoid as much as possible is the high sodium levels, which even the food at the healthier places has more than enough of.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I like Las Compadres on 7th Avenue, off of Indian School. It' s been there for a long time. Just ate there the other day--prices very reasonable and food excellent. It's family owned/operated and inside is kinda cute/quaint with wooden tables in a few different rooms.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I'd say N Scotts. and excellent Mexican food go together like....well.....you know what I mean.......

and stay away from those chains!.....local independents are, usually, the friendliest and best....

here are some of the numerous city-data threads on Mexican food in the valley.....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ican-food.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...d-phoenix.html

be careful....this is a very subjective topic....

Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
In N Scottsdale I like Ajo Al's near Shea and Scottsdale. Not sure how authentic Mexican it is, but it is good. There is Los Olivos at Hayden and FLW. And for just a few minute drive, a really cool place up where Scottsdale Rd becomes Tom Darling. Back in a sec omce I figure out the name.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
The name I was trying to find was Carefree Station. Also La Hacienda at the Fairmont Princess if you want muy pricey Mexican.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
Handy Map. Mexican Food Guide map - Phoenix Magazine

My favorite is Los Reyes De La Torta - Home. If you are looking for more of a fine dining experience, the chef at Barrio Cafe by chef Silvana Salcido Esparza has been in the running for a James Beard Award the past 2 years. My parents come to town tomorrow and we will be hitting both of those along with some other non-Mexican places

Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Handy Map. Mexican Food Guide map - Phoenix Magazine

My favorite is Los Reyes De La Torta - Home. If you are looking for more of a fine dining experience, the chef at Barrio Cafe by chef Silvana Salcido Esparza has been in the running for a James Beard Award the past 2 years. My parents come to town tomorrow and we will be hitting both of those along with some other non-Mexican places
These are some good ones. Mexicans and Chicanos eat at these places. Somebody mentioned Los Compadres and it's always a good spot. It's not fancy or unique but it's an old bright star in the Phoenix Mexican food heavens.

I'm a big fan of El Nopalito at 24th St. and Thomas, just south of Thomas. It's a hole in the wall, inexpensive place, and a very good neighborhood place. It's clean not Filiberto's shady, and the ladies that run it give great customer service. I first went there when I read New Times chose it for best street style tacos, which pretty much sealed the deal for me once I tried them.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
To be honest, I think Mexican food here is pretty disappointing when compared to Texas, New Mexico and California. I'm still trying to find a really good Mexican restaurant. Carolinas is glorified fast food. Los Dos Molinos has great salsa and makes some dishes well but their other dishes are mediocre. Bario Cafe is good but is too fusion and not authentic. Ticos is good but again, very fusion-like. Tia BullBoxer31 is decent but is also lackluster.

Serranos=Macayos=Manuels=Garcias=Los Olivos=Aunt Chiladas=Tee Pee=Ajo Als pretty much taste the same, they are essentially the same Mexican restaurant. It's better than chains like On the Border and Abuelos but it's still lacking in flavor.

If anyone has been to San Antonio and can give me the Phoenix equivalent of La Margarita and Mi Tierra in the market in down town SA, I'm all ears because I have yet to find anything remotely close to that here; that is real Mexican food! Heck, if you can get me something similar to Old Mexico Cafe on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, I would be happy with that too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area