Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM

140 posts, read 174,296 times

Advertisements

So, I've been seeing a few yellow jackets hovering around one half of the pool lately. Yesterday morning, I noticed a clump of them in the corner of the pool, on the wall, just above the water line. There were about 20 yellow jackets walking around and flying on and off of this 4inchX4inch section. I figured that maybe there was a nest under the lip of the pool or they had found a crack and had a nest inside the cement or something.

So I waited until dark last night and went out there with some wasp spray, intent on killing them and destroying any nest I found. However, there was nothing. No yellow jackets, no nest, no cracks that would lead them into the concrete. No sign of them at all.

This morning, they are back at it. Any idea what is going on? What are they putting on the wall? What are they getting from the wall?

I went ahead and sprayed them. They didn't like it but didn't get as aggressive as if they were protecting a nest. They are still out there though, and I think they'll be back on the wall as soon as the spray dries off.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
They are attracted to water, there is probably a nest nearby on your property or one of your neighbors. I've been killing a whole bunch by my pool, I squirt them with the hose to stun them or knock them in the pool and then crush them.

I've been searching around how to get rid of them and there isn't much you can do short of finding the nest, killing or the foragers or putting an alternate more attractive water source in for them.

Honey Bees
Honey Bee Research : Bee Stings / Safety
Keeping Bees Away From Your Pool | Arizona-Beeremoval

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I saw a suggestion the other day. You take a dish or pan of water and add sugar to it, placing it near the pool. This should attract them and if so you start moving the dish farther and farther from the pool over a few days time. The claim is that, while you don't get rid of them, you can keep the away from the pool. I haven't tried it. I hate the damn things and they usually bother us at the pool but for some reason we haven't seen them this year.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
They are just thirsty!

You could try to follow them back to the nest. If you find it, you might want to get an exterminator to get rid of it. I accidentally disturbed a nest once and got chased all the way in the house, with a few coming inside. I was fortunate to only get stung once.

Another option is to use traps, placed well away from the pool or play areas.

Amazon.com : Rescue YJTR-DT12 Reusable Yellow Jacket Trap : Home Pest Control Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Thanks. I was just outside watching them as there is only a couple there right now. I got very close and saw one of them head down, right at the water line. I was wondering if they just wanted water and then saw your replies.

I don't think the nest is on my property so I'm not sure I'll have much luck tracking them back to it. I'll keep an eye out though. I wonder if I can just harass them enough that they'll leave? There are enough that I would not be able to swim in the pool and no way would I let my kids out there. I have to do something.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
A note to people back east: what is usually referred to in Arizona as a yellow jacket is probably not the same creature that you are thinking of that looks like this

What we have in Arizona is properly called a Yellow Paper Wasp and looks like this:

Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
My suggestion, FromEastCoast . . . LEAVE THEM ALONE.

They are probably just there for a drink of water. If you ignore them (read: no sprays, etc) they will drink and move on.

Generally speaking, Yellow Jackets only get violent when responding to an attack and/or protecting their nest.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Thanks again. I'll get one of the dead ones out of the pool and make sure I know what I'm dealing with. I certainly don't want to harm them if not necessary.

Bummer- I hear you and if I am sure they won't sting then I'll live and let live. But do you have any idea how ling it takes them to drink and move on? I'd rather not be scared away from my yard and pool. I can't have my 5 year old two feet away from 30 wasps if that is what I'm dealing with. And they have been clustered in the same spot going on two days now.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 AM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
They are non-agressive and generally won't harm you even if you swat at them. They drive me nuts and annoy me though so I try and kill them. I killed over 20 in one day, I don't see that many anymore, just an occasional one. Just turn the hose on them to stun them and knock them into the pool to drown or get a spray bottle with soapy water which will kill them. If you want to deter them go get a fake wasp nest and hang it up by the pool, they are territorial and will avoid that area.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
They are non-agressive and generally won't harm you even if you swat at them. They drive me nuts and annoy me though so I try and kill them. I killed over 20 in one day, I don't see that many anymore, just an occasional one. Just turn the hose on them to stun them and knock them into the pool to drown or get a spray bottle with soapy water which will kill them. If you want to deter them go get a fake wasp nest and hang it up by the pool, they are territorial and will avoid that area.
Interesting. Sorry if I am skeptical. When you say "they" what do you mean? The paper wasps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area