Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times

Advertisements

I've had to drive a family member into downtown for work the last month during rush hour. Have noticed quite a few vehicles with one driver (and not with the alternative fuel plate) driving in the HOV lane. Do they ever do HOV lane enforcement around here? In other states I've heard they really crack down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've had to drive a family member into downtown for work the last month during rush hour. Have noticed quite a few vehicles with one driver (and not with the alternative fuel plate) driving in the HOV lane. Do they ever do HOV lane enforcement around here? In other states I've heard they really crack down.
Yes, but I've seen less of it during the really peak traffic hours, too. I['m guessing it is a manpower issue. I've also had the thought that one stop causes a significant traffic issue (and perhaps more accidents) during those peak hours (of course, that's the time there's most likely to be a violation).

Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 AM

397 posts, read 659,895 times
In heavy traffic its hard to enforce as cops are mostly stuck in one position and its hard for them to pass many cars to see more of the HOV lane. I usually don't see many cops but I was going S on I-17 the other day and I had 2 cops pass next to me in the HOV lane within 10 min. time. One of them did end up pulling someone over a bit ahead of me which I assume was for a HOV violation. Also as noted its hard for them to get someone pulled ober all the way to the right I lane. I watched the cop follow the guy with lights on for over a mile before they finally got over and onto an exit. The fine for it is almost $400.

http://www.abc15.com/traffic/hov-lane-cheaters-beware

Also its only a HOV lane from 6am-9am and 3pm-7pm I believe. Motorcycles can ride in the HOV lane anytime as well as vehicles with alternate fuel license plates,

http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news...rtain-vehicles
http://www.azcentral.com/story/joann...late/13595945/

Last edited by esiebert7625; 09-23-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I know about the HOV lane hours, use the HOV lane all of the time when it's not rush hour. Just frustrating when I do have another person in my car and can use the HOV lane in rush hour only to see half the cars ahead of me with only one driver. The person that I was driving told me that in Virginia the cops would find a wide spot in the median, stick a cop about a half mile ahead and have that cop just wave people over to the median where another cop is writing tickets.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Its a problem that I see everyday. I cant tell you how many dozens of single-passenger cars I see using the HOV lane during rush hour. I even see jerks in front of me with one rider jump into the HOV lane and take off if the traffic comes to a standstill. Yesterday I saw some idiot jump into the HOV lane, and at the same time about 50 yards up a PHX cop pulled into the HOV lane as well. The moron saw that and ducked back into the regular lane.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
It is tempting but I surely wouldn't chance it unless I had a passenger! I am told its a huge fine

Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
An ex-coworker of mine was nailed twice in one week. First time was a warning...second time $400+ fine. DPS does actively patrol for this but resources are certainly limited compared to the number of vehicles traveling during rush hour times.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
What I don't understand are the cars that DO have 2+ passangers and are not in the HOV lane! What the heck...why wouldn't you use it? You'd get there faster and it would free up the regular lanes a little bit. (I know sometimes they are going to exit soon etc but if they are in the lane right next to the HOV...might as well be in the HOV).

Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
I see what appears to be single passenger cars in the HOV lane all the time during HOV hours...sure you want to have DPS pull them all over but that is just going to tie up traffic more. A simple 4 car rear-ending on the 101 backed up traffic for 10+ miles this morning...a traffic stop is usually good for a mile or so...what do you think HOV enforcement pulling over multiple cars at a time would do? Karma is good...and it does catch up.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
We could go back to cameras again, this time in the HOV lane that sense face(s). Could also make sure they are heat/thermal sensing so they know if someone propped up a dummy in their car passenger seat. Most everything else is monitored today, so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area