Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved here from California and I've been living in North Scottsdale because that's where I work. However I'm noticing it's an older crowd and/or mostly couples. Not exactly the spot I want to be at as a single 25 year old new to the city.

So I'm looking to move. I really love West 6th apartments in Tempe but it's all college students and it would be too far of a commute. I think South Scottsdale is the perfect compromise.

I'm very successful for my age and could afford a place like Optima Camelview, but from my experience the more expensive the place, the older the crowd. I'm looking for a NICE 2 bedroom apartment($1,400-$2,200) near old town that also has a younger business professional crowd. Any advice?

[not permitted]

Last edited by observer53; 10-27-2014 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Have you looked in Old Town Scottsdale? I'm not too familiar with the rentals there, but I would think that there would be some younger folks living there to be close to the night life.

In Tempe area, look at places like the Lofts at Rio Salado. Some students there, I'm sure, but I know that the young professional crowd lives there too. Right by the light rail. With the whole State Farm complex coming in there by the lake, there are going to be a lot more folks in your demographic in both north and central Tempe, and probably south Scottsdale as well.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post I am looking in Old Town, just need some advice. Tempe is too far of a commute for me.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I missed that you mentioned Old Town. I mentioned Tempe because you said you "loved West 6th", then I missed that it was too long a commute. My apologies.

Another option might be Desert Ridge, to the west of you. There's a mix of ages in the condos and apartments up in that area. Old Town is your best bet, though, I think. I just can't name any specific places.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM

103 posts, read 124,604 times
It depends on your personality.

Old Town Scottsdale is where a lot of older people (like in their late 30s-40s) go to show off, try to date much younger people, and punish their wallets. It's a lot of pretentiousness and snobbiness, so if you're concerned about status and attracting ultra materialistic people, that would be the place. The younger people in the mid-20s who aren't status/material driven tend to be scattered closer to Roosevelt area that's near Downtown.

At least, that's what I've noticed. But I've only moved here 6 months ago and that's been my observation since I live near the Downtown area and I go to school.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 AM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittykatt View Post

Old Town Scottsdale is where a lot of older people (like in their late 30s-40s) go to show off, try to date much younger people, and punish their wallets. It's a lot of pretentiousness and snobbiness, so if you're concerned about status and attracting ultra materialistic people, that would be the place. The younger people in the mid-20s who aren't status/material driven tend to be scattered closer to Roosevelt area that's near Downtown.

At least, that's what I've noticed. But I've only moved here 6 months ago and that's been my observation since I live near the Downtown area and I go to school.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about with your 6 month experience living here. You live in old town? Do you leave your house and actually go out and talk to people and dine in restaurants/go to bars etc around here...or do you just go by generalizations you read about on the internet?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokittykatt View Post

Great post! I particularly like the "older people (like in their late 30s-40s)" part. College students aren't material driven, they have no money. They are mostly beer & party driven.

This other comment I like is that the "old people go to Old Town to try and date younger people", who should not be there because they are not material driven, (they should be near one of the colleges).

To the OP: Being only 25 and mature is a bit of a problem because most of the people in your age group are not successful and professional (or mature). But I still think Old Town is a good option for you because there is enough nightlife to keep you from getting bored and still not be too bad a commute to work. Go there on a Fri or Sat night and you will find quite a few younger people. Just look for the "old" 30 year old guys, they will be trying to pick up a younger women.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Paradise Valley is where its at if you can afford it and not Old Town Scottsdale.. PV is probably the nicest town I been to Arizona that place is amazing, makes sense that 1000's of pro athletes live in that town.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Paradise Valley is where its at if you can afford it and not Old Town Scottsdale.. PV is probably the nicest town I been to Arizona that place is amazing, makes sense that 1000's of pro athletes live in that town.
The o/p is very successful, but maybe not enough so to afford Paradise Valley. Also, I don't think there are any apartments or condos there. It's a gorgeous community, but is entirely residential, so not exactly a where its (sic) at.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 PM

268 posts, read 430,643 times
Paradise Valley is not a place for a young professional. Stick to South Scottsdale, that's your best bet. Lots of new condos/apts up there near Old Town. There's one under construction right on the Waterfront by Olive and Ivy and all those restaurants Broadstone Waterfront

Tons of others. Just go down there and drive around.

Also, have you considered just buying a house? You could get a nice one in 85251 and it would be a better investment than paying rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area