Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 20,674 times

Advertisements

I own a home in Avondale, and havn't had a problem in the 6 years we have lived here... other than the one time someone took our edger from the shed .. while houses were still being built. The scenery of the mountains are great. Freeway access is easy and convient. Staduims close by along with the PIR (Phoenix International Raceway). It is pretty quiet here. Good amount of amenities around. I have less crime here at my residence in Avondle than I did when I lived in Scottsdale (there was a shooting, car break ins, and rapist on the bike trails). Felt most unsafe in Scottsdale which is considered much "higher classs" than other suburbs. False sense of security.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM

20 posts, read 77,902 times
I'm from the metro detroit area and would really be inclined to agree with the above posters. As far as major cities go, Phoenix is pretty great in terms of crime. There are definitely areas I wouldn't stroll through alone at night (including my own, ha ha - Tempe around Arizona Mills Mall) but I can't think of an area of phoenix I wouldn't drive through confidently.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Again people!!!! Why when people ask about Phx it becomes a "who has the worst hood"
contest? What, are you starting your own "forum gang" or something?
Im telling!
OFF TOPIC MODERATOR<
lol

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Be careful around Sun City, too. They have gangs there that dress up like sheriff's deputies and roam the streets.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM

229 posts, read 170,552 times
When I first came here, I asked someone the same question. I was told that 'most of the bad stuff happens on the Avenues'. That's been proven to be mostly true.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Be careful around Sun City, too. They have gangs there that dress up like sheriff's deputies and roam the streets.
ha ha Ponderosa

Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 AM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
I have to agree with the posters saying Phoenix isn't as dangerous as some other cities around the country.

I hear people saying South Phoenix is terrible, but honestly it is no worse than some of the "middle class" areas of Los Angeles. (Culver City, parts of West L.A., etc). I live in West Los Angeles right now and South Phoenix, crime-wise and safety-wise feels about the same to me. The difference is, I'm living in a 1 bedroom apartment here in L.A. paying $1300 a month with a view of one of the most congested freeways in the country. They just put up a new wall on the freeway and it's already covered in graffiti. My husbands car got keyed while parked on the street. Two cars in our security parking lot in our building got broke into a few months ago. Yet 50 year old homes in this area are selling for around a million dollars. On the other hand you have South Phoenix, which has some of the same problems I mentioned, being called "ghetto" and dangerous. I consider dangerous to be a place like Compton or South Los Angeles. South Phoenix to me seems, well, normal. Sure, parts of it look a little run down and it has a few more problems than other parts of the valley, but all-in-all even the worst parts of the valley cannot compare to the bad areas of other cities in the country.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 AM

Location: Portland, OR - Truly nice place to live and raise kids
5 posts, read 13,474 times
Phoenix is straight up ghetto. I am in heaven ever since I left Mexico, I mean Phoenix. :-)

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 24,216 times
I think that all in all, Phoenix is safe. I would check out the baseline road area as posted earlier!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM

12 posts, read 33,714 times
I was at Cactus and 19th, a coin car wash one evening, and a car with two guys, a gal, and a baby circled mine once and offered me to fix the scratches in my car for $20. They look desperate and kept insisting me to come down with them to their repair shop down the road. I kept refusing and they left. I got into my car and left. No big deal but I wouldn't go there unless I drive through the area.
I am new to Phoenix and agree with most posters that it is not that bad here, especially compared to St.Louis where I was for seven years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area