Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times

Advertisements

What I find interesting is the neighbor purchased the home knowing full well that the bushes were there, how tall they were and then decided they irritate him.

It's not like there was nothing there and AFTER he'd lived there these magically sprouted up.
I'd probably pay a lawyer a small fee to write this neighbor a letter suggesting that he cease and desist before something happens that will cost him $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,023 times
Jimj, that's exactly what I've been thinking since they moved in. The first complaint was the trees in the alley, which have been there for 30 years. When they looked at and bought the house, everything was at full growth, so they knew exactly what they were moving into.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:52 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,725,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztech View Post
Jimj, that's exactly what I've been thinking since they moved in. The first complaint was the trees in the alley, which have been there for 30 years. When they looked at and bought the house, everything was at full growth, so they knew exactly what they were moving into.

Yeah, but from the other side of things - I've bought properties with "known" neighbor issues with the express intent of using the legal process to kick the neighbors back in line. Other buyers might shy away from a "hillbilly" neighbor with a couple junk RV's out back - even if they've "been there 30 years", a few calls to the city & the junk has to go away. I bought land from the state knowing full well that neighbors on three sides had "adopted" nearly the entire parcel - apparently they didn't know that "adverse possession" doesn't work on state-owned lands..

Just because someone has been infringing on another's property rights for a long time, doesn't mean they get to do it forever - in fact, continued tolerance of an infringement may actually create an interest (or a right) where none previously existed. I'll chop/slash/burn or poison anything that crosses my property line for that very reason. None of my stuff sticks over the line, none of your's should either.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Yeah, but from the other side of things - I've bought properties with "known" neighbor issues with the express intent of using the legal process to kick the neighbors back in line. Other buyers might shy away from a "hillbilly" neighbor with a couple junk RV's out back - even if they've "been there 30 years", a few calls to the city & the junk has to go away. I bought land from the state knowing full well that neighbors on three sides had "adopted" nearly the entire parcel - apparently they didn't know that "adverse possession" doesn't work on state-owned lands..

Just because someone has been infringing on another's property rights for a long time, doesn't mean they get to do it forever - in fact, continued tolerance of an infringement may actually create an interest (or a right) where none previously existed. I'll chop/slash/burn or poison anything that crosses my property line for that very reason. None of my stuff sticks over the line, none of your's should either.
Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. TRIM all you want but slash,burn or poison and you may just be breaking the very laws you say you seem to heartily support.

Almost sounds like you're saying the laws are great if it fits "your" purpose?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. TRIM all you want but slash,burn or poison and you may just be breaking the very laws you say you seem to heartily support.

Almost sounds like you're saying the laws are great if it fits "your" purpose?
Not saying that at all - keep in mind *who* is encroaching or affecting someone else's property. When you buy land, you own the dirt, the minerals below it and the airspace above it. If you want to plant a super-awesome "bloodthirsty hedge" that matures to a width of four-feet, just dig the hole five feet from the property line, so you can trim & maintain both sides without trespassing. You can't snuggle-up your plants to the property line to preserve "your" land, then call your neighbor "petty" for grumbling about the "bloodthirsty hedge" encroaching on their land.

It's kinda like if your neighbor backed their pickup truck *right* on the property line, then dropped the tailgate over your side.. in this case, the "tailgate" might be organic, and it may have been planted years ago.. that said, it still isn't where it belongs, and the new neighbor doesn't like it. That isn't "petty", it's fair.

Your stuff, your yard, my stuff, my yard.

If it were me, I'd pull the hedge & make peace - replant it if you must on your own dirt. There's no such thing as an irreplaceable hedge, and nothing quite as nice to have as a good neighbor.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,490,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It's kinda like if your neighbor backed their pickup truck *right* on the property line, then dropped the tailgate over your side.. in this case, the "tailgate" might be organic, and it may have been planted years ago.. that said, it still isn't where it belongs, and the new neighbor doesn't like it. That isn't "petty", it's fair.
If that's the case, and comparing apples to apples, the neighbor(doesn't own the pickup) should legally be able to "trim" the tailgate off, just like the OP's neighbor in this case can legally trim the hedge on his side.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 PM

563 posts, read 1,791,367 times
sounds like your neighbor is being a real pain the the you know what. Screw him! If I were you, id start planting more of those same bushes all along the property line. Because it sounds like no matter what you say or do, he won't compromise. So, might as well plant more bushes and just enjoy them at his misery.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
If that's the case, and comparing apples to apples, the neighbor(doesn't own the pickup) should legally be able to "trim" the tailgate off, just like the OP's neighbor in this case can legally trim the hedge on his side.
I'd have no problem with that solution.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,062,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
These posts are making me so glad I left the desert!
Heidi, in your opinion, are these neighbor/tree problems specific to neighborhoods in desert cities like Phx ?

I think part of the problem is that the builders make the lots so small in order to make more profits. If the lots were 2x the size, there would be fewer neighbor/tree conflicts. However, making lots 2x larger would make Phoenix's sprawl even worse than it is now and gobble up more virgin desert land.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 PM

13,425 posts, read 7,427,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztech View Post
To better describe the situation - this is in the front yard, and there is a brick edging between the 2 yards. About 6 years ago, my former neighbor and I decided that looked kind of plain, and we both liked the idea of pretty plants around the border. Since my side is grass and hers was rock, the plants were put in on my side of the brick edging. The plants do not shed, so they didn't make a mess in her rocks, and they also solved the problem of my grass growing into her rock and her rocks ending up in my grass. I did all of the maintenance, and trimmed both sides back about 4 times a year. The reason we chose these plants was they can be trimmed back, then they will fill back out, if you do it correctly. I always trim them back before they sprout the fuzzy flowers, so they will not be a problem for allergies or produce seed pods.
You said you trim them 4 times a year on both sides to deal with the flowers, but it still seems that you are admitting these bushes hang over into his property still think your wrong. He should have spoken to you about it sooner then just blowing a gasket when you talked to him. I can understand how he throws stuff over into your yard. My old neighbor was like you let his trees hang over into my yard. I had to drive truck loads of branches to the dump and pay to dispose of them after monsoon wind cracked a big limb into my yard. He would not answer his door I knew someone was home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area