Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:44 PM

300 posts, read 441,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're talking about driving impaired. I'm not at all condoning impaired driving. I'm talking about going to dinner and having two glasses of wine over the course of a meal. I would be well under the legal limit but could still get a DUI in AZ based on the cop's opinion. It's not like that in other states. It is here and it's a garbage law.
I think this thread is going to be full of people that support 0 tolerance, especially older people with anecdotes. In the midwest you can get away with having a drink or 2(legally over the course of 1 hour I could drink 6 beers and still not be illegal Blood Alcohol Calculator Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself), but in AZ I stop at 1, even if that means that by the time I leave the restaurant I'd blow a .0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I think this thread is going to be full of people that support 0 tolerance, especially older people with anecdotes. In the midwest you can get away with having a drink or 2(legally over the course of 1 hour I could drink 6 beers and still not be illegal Blood Alcohol Calculator Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself), but in AZ I stop at 1, even if that means that by the time I leave the restaurant I'd blow a .0.
Exactly. Glad to see there is at least SOME common sense around here.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Set the legal limit and take the subjective nature out of it. If you want to reduce it to 0.05, then so be it. But then at 0.04, you are legal. But not in AZ. It's up to the police. Some police have no tolerance at 0.02. My neighbor is a police. He confirmed there are police in the department who personally have zero tolerance policies (just like some of the posters).

Never mind that in AZ, you can text and drive. Arizona Cell Phone & Texting and Driving Laws | DrivingLaws.org . Well o.k., not a school bus driver. WTF? I see people hitting the "texting strips" all the time (those bumps on the road warning you that you are swerving). Cops cannot give you a ticket while you are texting like mad. But hey, run into a cop with anti alcohol hard-on after a wine and your life has changed for the worse. I'm all for tossing the book at a reckless drunk. Let's do the same for the reckless texter. Shall we?

Old 01-10-2015, 12:22 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
There are a lot of people who visit this state and even people who live here that don't realize that police have a right to give you a DUI ticket even if you are under the legal limit. So complaining and sharing on a forum has its value. That's why I am complaining and sharing.

Your statement in bold can be said about all controversial laws in life including the idiotic AZ rule that allows people to text and drive. But the reality is getting something changed isn't exactly easy nor will most people have the energy to take on the burden of trying to get something changed. It's more cost effective for me to drive at 0.03 and run the risk that I might run into a police who is on a power trip than to spend my resources to have a law changed.

In that spirit of educating, texting is more dangerous than drunk driving. See Texting is more dangerous than drugs, alcohol while driving: Study : FUTURE TECH : Tech Times Smart people tried getting the texting laws change in AZ without any luck.

I wonder how many Phoenix forum members who have zero tolerance for having a couple of beers at dinner and are texting while driving a 3000 pound car at 50 MPH? Give me a paranoid "drunk" at 0.05 who is focused on not getting pulled over versus a weaving texters. I was also told by my police neighbor that he cannot give a ticket for someone not using their signal during a lane change nor give them a ticket with a light out (you only need one break light or headlight). Just some examples of strange laws.

But I'm all for tossing the book at drunks above the leagal limit. For that matter, 0.08 is too darn high to drink and drive. I've tested myself and I don't feel comfortable to get behind the wheel.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-10-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 AM

518 posts, read 872,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Set the legal limit and take the subjective nature out of it. If you want to reduce it to 0.05, then so be it. But then at 0.04, you are legal. But not in AZ. It's up to the police. Some police have no tolerance at 0.02. My neighbor is a police. He confirmed there are police in the department who personally have zero tolerance policies (just like some of the posters).

Never mind that in AZ, you can text and drive. Arizona Cell Phone & Texting and Driving Laws | DrivingLaws.org . Well o.k., not a school bus driver. WTF? I see people hitting the "texting strips" all the time (those bumps on the road warning you that you are swerving). Cops cannot give you a ticket while you are texting like mad. But hey, run into a cop with anti alcohol hard-on after a wine and your life has changed for the worse. I'm all for tossing the book at a reckless drunk. Let's do the same for the reckless texter. Shall we?
I think the texting and driving thing is more about enforcement. It's hard to enforce so they don't bother to put it on the books. But I do think it should be made illegal in hopes of some drivers changing their ways. But almost all of them will continue to text anyways.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:57 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
You're talking about driving impaired. I'm not at all condoning impaired driving. I'm talking about going to dinner and having two glasses of wine over the course of a meal. I would be well under the legal limit but could still get a DUI in AZ based on the cop's opinion. It's not like that in other states. It is here and it's a garbage law.
Yooper checking in....

MI laws are pretty tough, but not like here.

I'm 203 lbs...6' on the nose. Not a real big guy but I can consume 1 drink per hour and not worry about a thing.

I still worry though. Out to dinner...have a beer before at the bar....have a beer during.....and a beer after......that means I'm going to be at the restaurant for three hours?

More like 1 1/2 - 2 hours max.

We'll see breathalyzers as optional equipment in new vehicles soon.

And yes, it's a money grab.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
It is in Colorado and New Mexico, too. Probably several others, and the trend is to that standard.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:29 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Please pay close attention to the Original Post. If you have anything to contribute on-topic to answer then please reply. If not, please kindly move along. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There are a lot of people who visit this state and even people who live here that don't realize that police have a right to give you a DUI ticket even if you are under the legal limit. So complaining and sharing on a forum has its value. That's why I am complaining and sharing.

Your statement in bold can be said about all controversial laws in life including the idiotic AZ rule that allows people to text and drive. But the reality is getting something changed isn't exactly easy nor will most people have the energy to take on the burden of trying to get something changed. It's more cost effective for me to drive at 0.03 and run the risk that I might run into a police who is on a power trip than to spend my resources to have a law changed.

In that spirit of educating, texting is more dangerous than drunk driving. See Texting is more dangerous than drugs, alcohol while driving: Study : FUTURE TECH : Tech Times Smart people tried getting the texting laws change in AZ without any luck.

I wonder how many Phoenix forum members who have zero tolerance for having a couple of beers at dinner and are texting while driving a 3000 pound car at 50 MPH? Give me a paranoid "drunk" at 0.05 who is focused on not getting pulled over versus a weaving texters. I was also told by my police neighbor that he cannot give a ticket for someone not using their signal during a lane change nor give them a ticket with a light out (you only need one break light or headlight). Just some examples of strange laws.

But I'm all for tossing the book at drunks above the leagal limit. For that matter, 0.08 is too darn high to drink and drive. I've tested myself and I don't feel comfortable to get behind the wheel.
According to Scottsdale PD's last public information release, SPD alone handed out 43 "Impaired to the slightest degree" misdemeanors in the last week reported by the PIO. Texting, however, is not considered an impairment to any degree--even the slightest.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
I know that as of 1998-99, California DUI penalties were much stricter than Michigan's. Not sure about Arizona's.

Maricopa County's law enforcement is run by a gratuitous sadist; that much is obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area