Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM

342 posts, read 799,036 times

Advertisements

I will be interviewing for an elementary teaching job in the Peoria unified school district for next year. We would be moving from PA. Looking for opinions and thoughts on best places to live with a family of four (me, wife, 2 elementary aged boys). Housing price range up to 250K, accessible to a lot of golf and parks. We are an outdoor family to say the least and 6 months of crap weather in PA is not cutting it. ( I know it gets hot, we've been to the phoenix metro area before in all seasons and it fits us). Also, what elementary schools feed into the best middle and high schools in your opinions ( not a necessary for us to live in the same district where I teach either, would be willing to commute up to 20 minutes or so)
Thanks for any advice and information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
The Official Website of the Arizona Department of Education |

https://www.azreportcards.com/

"Best" is gong to be subjective to what is going to work for you and your family. School districts here are hit and miss...there are a number of websites that we can't mention on this site that can assist with research...there are a couple good districts out there on the West side...Surprise comes to mind...

20 minute commute pretty much rules out the East Valley.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Great sites, thank you Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
The Official Website of the Arizona Department of Education |

https://www.azreportcards.com/

"Best" is gong to be subjective to what is going to work for you and your family. School districts here are hit and miss...there are a number of websites that we can't mention on this site that can assist with research...there are a couple good districts out there on the West side...Surprise comes to mind...

20 minute commute pretty much rules out the East Valley.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:01 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Why not Peoria? You certainly should be able to find a home within your price range. Peoria school district is highly rated. There are neighborhoods that should easily support your lifestyle.

Other options could include Glendale and N. Phoenix, I like the areas served by the Deer Valley School District. You could even look in Sun City (not the retirement community) and Surprise depending on where your job location is within the district.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM

94 posts, read 119,736 times
copperwood is probably PUSD's best elementary school- it feeds into Ironwood High School which has an IB program.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
I guess it depends a lot on where in Peoria you will be teaching. Peoria is pretty large in land area. Big difference between downtown "old" Peoria and north Peoria up near Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant. That said, for schools look at areas of Peoria north of Thunderbird Rd or if Surprise is an option look at areas along the 303 north of Olive Ave up to around Bell Rd. Elementary schools there are pretty good, too. The Surprise option will entail a longer commute for you but you will get more house for the money.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM

Thank you. After 2 straight days of research we've realized just how big peoria is. We will be visiting in early July and hope to get a good feel of the area then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I guess it depends a lot on where in Peoria you will be teaching. Peoria is pretty large in land area. Big difference between downtown "old" Peoria and north Peoria up near Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant. That said, for schools look at areas of Peoria north of Thunderbird Rd or if Surprise is an option look at areas along the 303 north of Olive Ave up to around Bell Rd. Elementary schools there are pretty good, too. The Surprise option will entail a longer commute for you but you will get more house for the money.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Why not Peoria? You certainly should be able to find a home within your price range. Peoria school district is highly rated. There are neighborhoods that should easily support your lifestyle.

Other options could include Glendale and N. Phoenix, I like the areas served by the Deer Valley School District. You could even look in Sun City (not the retirement community) and Surprise depending on where your job location is within the district.
I don't know about Peoria. I have been researching homes in Peoria for awhile now and I seen very few that are under $300k let alone $250k and they seem to be in poor school areas.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 PM

14 posts, read 27,564 times
North Peoria. You can find some in your price range although it may be difficult. I would recommend north of Beardsley. Peoria has k-8 schools and high schools. North Peoria school boundaries are in the process of being realigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area