Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times

Advertisements

Per a new Gallup Poll, we are...equally conservative and moderate . The same # of conservatives (36.1%) as moderates (36.1%) with liberals at 22.3%. So, a 13.8% advantage to conservatives over liberals.

"Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana are the most right-leaning states in the union, with between 46% and 49% of residents in each identifying as politically conservative. Massachusetts, Vermont and Hawaii are the most left-leaning, with 30% of residents in each of those states identifying as liberal.

"Delaware has the highest percentage of moderates of any state in the union, at 44%. The higher percentage of moderates in a given state does not necessarily mean that the state is a swing state politically. Despite the high percentages of residents choosing the moderate label, in many of these states, the remainder of the residents skew significantly conservative or liberal. For example, Rhode Island, Vermont, Massachusetts and New Jersey are all high on both the moderate and the liberal list, meaning that residents in these states eschew the conservative label while being more likely than average to identify with the other two categories. The same phenomenon occurs with states such as North Dakota and Wyoming, where residents are well above average in choosing either the moderate or conservative label, while avoiding the liberal label."

Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana Most Conservative States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Day to day living is more libertarian, I'm my opinion.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:08 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
I'd rather that they had identified a set of political questions and placed people on a spectrum based on their answers. Asking people to self-describe as "liberal," "conservative," or "moderate" creates a lot of confounding factors.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Day to day living is more libertarian, I'm my opinion.
That's how I always describe it. Our biggest issue here is our apathetic voter base.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM

416 posts, read 587,944 times
My husband always says that Maricopa County is "so red." Ha! He didn't live in the heyday when it - especially the east valley - was bright scarlet. I'd say it's more maroon - and somewhat red-violet in places - and darkening every year.

I think voter apathy is tied to how transitional the population is, and it's a chronic problem. I was the rare one who'd lived in the valley all my life and I - and those like me who stayed to raise their families there - always voted, usually the youngest person at the time at the polls.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:59 PM

72 posts, read 133,230 times
I am sure if there was an option for "Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative," the response would exceed 50% in AZ. The terms themselves are so skewed by interpretation, comparisons to the views in one's social network, and biased media.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMan500 View Post
I am sure if there was an option for "Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative," the response would exceed 50% in AZ. The terms themselves are so skewed by interpretation, comparisons to the views in one's social network, and biased media.
Great point. Imagine if the survey was built with real questions and real metrics. Although there's always a question with what things mean.

For example, most libertarians would say that regulations and abuses of power mean government has too much influence on people's lives, and that's a bad thing. (The solution is to reduce government influence.)

Most progressives would say that inequalities and social justice issues indicate that government doesn't have enough influence on people's lives, and that's a bad thing. (The solution is to increase government influence to address those issues.)

So both parties might say that government needs to change, but that change would take very different forms.

Gross generalizations are seldom completely accurate. Plus, in Arizona, you can change your political landscape quite a lot just by driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff. :-)

Old 02-09-2015, 03:44 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Not just Arizona! I think that would be good for our country!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Quote:
That sounds fine and dandy but on the opposite side of the coin does anyone really call themselves "fiscally liberal?"

Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM

241 posts, read 386,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
That sounds fine and dandy but on the opposite side of the coin does anyone really call themselves "fiscally liberal?"
I am....I can't seem to stop spending money! Too many toys out there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area