Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this should go in here or the education forum... but anyway, does anyone have any experience with taking undergrad classes at ASU without actually pursuing a degree? They have a non-degree page on their site, but it looks like that's geared toward HS graduates who haven't gone to college. I already have a B.S. (from a different school, never been to ASU), just trying to take a couple upper level Computer Science courses (I'd have the pre-reqs done at other schools). Maybe 1 in the summer and 2 in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
I'd recommend contacting ASU and asking this question. I'm sure they'd be happy to take your money and let you take classes as a non-degree seeking student. But if seats are limited for the courses you want, maybe. But you should speak with someone from the University and go from there.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:47 PM

Yeah I'm going to do a little more digging and try to find someone to email, but I didn't see any conveniently placed email addresses on their non-degree webpage. Just figured I'd ask here since people on these forums have a lot of useful info on so many things.

From what I saw on their course listings page, they tend to have plenty of open seats for most, if not all, of the upper level CS classes.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM

518 posts, read 872,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Yeah I'm going to do a little more digging and try to find someone to email, but I didn't see any conveniently placed email addresses on their non-degree webpage. Just figured I'd ask here since people on these forums have a lot of useful info on so many things.

From what I saw on their course listings page, they tend to have plenty of open seats for most, if not all, of the upper level CS classes.
As a non degree seeking student, if there is seat availability, I don't see why they wouldn't let you pay to take the course. Not only do they get your money, but it is a form of serving the community I suppose you could say. And ASU is a public state supported university after all. You shouldn't have a problem but you'll know for sure when you can get more details from the university.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM

Just thought I would update this in case someone searches these forums for the same question at some point.

What I was looking at before was ASU nondegree students (which seems to be geared toward HS graduates), but there's also ASU nondegree graduate student, which has a $70 application fee and just requires a B.S. (or B.A. I guess). They actually don't require you to upload transcripts, not sure what kind of verification they do. But I got accepted in just a few days. You do have to register for a particular term... not sure if you'd have to pay the $70 to apply for each semester you want to study, but even if you do, that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

I saw the grad nondegree student idea on one of the CS pages that recommended applying as a nondegree grad student to fill in some background courses if you didn't major in CS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area