Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:54 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,877,200 times

Advertisements

I know they provide the metro Phoenix area with a much needed economic boost but the traffic lately has been horrendous and the number of license plates that I've seen from Alberta, Quebec and the the northern midwest states had been absurd. This past Friday I was heading east on Glendale at 3pm and the traffic heading the other way was backed up at the 7th street stoplight almost all the way to 12th street. I expect this at 4:30pm but not at 3:00 and the only reason I can think of is the additional people trying to escape the blizzards back east. It's just been absolutely ridiculous lately!!! Movie theaters, grocery stores, all very very crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Not me, I think the economic impact is worth the "hassle" I wish they were year round residents.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 AM

770 posts, read 838,238 times
I can't wait they are annoying but should be gone once spring training is over.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I know they provide the metro Phoenix area with a much needed economic boost but the traffic lately has been horrendous and the number of license plates that I've seen from Alberta, Quebec and the the northern midwest states had been absurd. This past Friday I was heading east on Glendale at 3pm and the traffic heading the other way was backed up at the 7th street stoplight almost all the way to 12th street. I expect this at 4:30pm but not at 3:00 and the only reason I can think of is the additional people trying to escape the blizzards back east. It's just been absolutely ridiculous lately!!! Movie theaters, grocery stores, all very very crowded.
Don't you see that you are part of the problem? I have a common sense solution for ya! Find a job where you can work out of your home. If you are in the rush hour traffic, you are part of the problem smogging up the air in standstill traffic. Get off the roads and be part of the solution. Personally, I dodge the traffic. I shop when the stores are empty, go to restaurants early and pick up the deals, and go to the grocery stores during work hours. Working for yourself adds flexibility. Therefore start your own business, get off the roads and help out all of those vacationers who are trying to have some fun in the sun. You will like life so much better.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
The end of spring training and Easter come at about the same time this year, so that should be when the major outflow occurs. Remember, friends, don't wish them away too soon. Their departure just means summer's coming.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
There's a big RV rally & convention coming to PIR this week. Probably 3-4,000 RV's clogging up the freeways on their way over to the rally. Then there is the NASCAR race after that with even more RV's showing up. But like other people have said, it won't get better until Spring Training is done.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Ah, a kindred soul! I have never seen so many snowbirds as this year. It is a sign of the economic good times, I guess. Yes. Go home already! Leave us a few weeks to enjoy our own spaces before the misery of summer returns. The weather is lovely back east.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,730,458 times
Traffic has been pretty thick, but I don't mind them being here. Aside from the economic boost I find most to be pretty friendly people. Love to chat with them about where they are from and hear what they like about Arizona.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:45 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Geeze, I've been here since the mid 60's when the population in the area was under 300,000. Today it's over 4 million, wonder where all these people came from, are you part of the problem, do you have a solution. And what brought you here to put the burden on the infrastructure.
Oh I see, blame it on your parents.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ah, a kindred soul! I have never seen so many snowbirds as this year. It is a sign of the economic good times, I guess. Yes. Go home already! Leave us a few weeks to enjoy our own spaces before the misery of summer returns. The weather is lovely back east.
Then Phoenix should stop hosting the Superbowl, Pro-bowl, the Waste Management Golf Open, Barrett Jackson, and other high traffic/visible venues. After all, those events made everything even more crowded. People come down for these events and think this might be a fantastic spot to hangout for several months.

It's going to get busier as busier as the years go on. Fleets of 401K millionaires are retiring and they are going to mandate that you share your space and stomping grounds because they have thicker wallets and they love to PHX sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area