Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 AM

27 posts, read 36,659 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at 45+ and 55+ communities on the west side and would be interested in your insights/opinions. We're still in our 50's and would plan on doing the snowbird thing for a while yet. A visit is planned for May. We have been in touch with a realtor. At this point, we're looking in the 250-400K range. So far (and from afar) we've been looking at Sun City - Grand and West, Anthem, Westbrook, PebbleCreek, Trilogy at Vistancia and CantaMia at Estrella. We've also not ruled out Victory at Verrado or Trilogy Wickenburg. Are we missing any options? We would be grateful for any insights or comparisons you may have. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
My in-laws come down yearly and stay for a month and they much prefer Pebble Creek to the others they have investigated. I've visited CantaMia, Trilogy, Sun City Grand and West, Verrado and Pebble Creek. If I were choosing it would be pebble creek for location and amenities.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My in-laws come down yearly and stay for a month and they much prefer Pebble Creek to the others they have investigated. I've visited CantaMia, Trilogy, Sun City Grand and West, Verrado and Pebble Creek. If I were choosing it would be pebble creek for location and amenities.
Thanks for the reply. PebbleCreek certainly seems to have the advantage when it comes to proximity to the airport and downtown Phoenix. In your opinion, what would its advantage be regarding amenities?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I live in Estrella and while it is among the best places in the valley to live in my opinion, Canta Mia is at the far south end of things. It adds a few more miles to what already is a bit of a drive to the commercial areas of Goodyear. Of course, there is more and more of that in Estrella proper each month , but you will not find all you need here and will have to be going down the hill for things. On the other side of the coin, Canta Mia is an attractive place and its own little world within the private little world of Estrella. So its a balancing act.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 AM

In addition to my original questions, I meant to inquire about aircraft noise - both military and commercial - at these developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I live in Estrella and while it is among the best places in the valley to live in my opinion, Canta Mia is at the far south end of things. It adds a few more miles to what already is a bit of a drive to the commercial areas of Goodyear. Of course, there is more and more of that in Estrella proper each month , but you will not find all you need here and will have to be going down the hill for things. On the other side of the coin, Canta Mia is an attractive place and its own little world within the private little world of Estrella. So its a balancing act.
I appreciate the reply. If you'd care to, I'd be grateful if you'd elaborate on this. I understand people may have a different basis for their opinions but living there, your's would be of particular interest. I find CantaMia's home designs and the beauty of the location intriguing. I understand the remoteness may be a tradeoff.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealleyplace View Post
In addition to my original questions, I meant to inquire about aircraft noise - both military and commercial - at these developments.

I appreciate the reply. If you'd care to, I'd be grateful if you'd elaborate on this. I understand people may have a different basis for their opinions but living there, your's would be of particular interest. I find CantaMia's home designs and the beauty of the location intriguing. I understand the remoteness may be a tradeoff.
The natural setting in Estrella is outstanding with the hills all around, the mountains nearby, a huge county park, miles of trails, two lakes big enough to actually use for something, an active community with respect to events, and an HOA that manages to keep order without being overbearing. But, to me, the very best thing is that Estrella feels different. It feels like a community of its own. We have our own schools, our own church, our own parks, our own shopping and McDonalds too, for the most part. We are not on the way to somewhere else. There are not highways leading to the next down down the road. There is no rush hour. It's a pretty unique situation. Running into friends, the kids' teachers, neighbors and so on every time you go to Safeway is just not a thing that happens in the big city. It does here. They used to advertise as a "town in the country". That may be taking it a bit far, but it's the general idea.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Aircraft at Estrella. We hear the jets from Luke. They are pretty high by the time they get over us and they don't fly over every day either. But you hear them if you are outside. I can't say I really notice them though. There is an airport down the hill that lands big aircraft like 747s for maintenance work. Every once in a while one will fly over enroute to there. They honestly look like they are going to fall out of the sky. They seem so low and big. But as a noise factor, it is seldom and minimal. Down in Canta Mia it is going to be so quiet at night you won't believe it. Nothing but coyotes yipping - yes, we have them - and starlit skies.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Ponderosa. I appreciate the thoughtful posts. We live in a very remote location now so Estrella may make for a nice transition to the city. We'll have to keep it on our list as one to check out when there. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM

586 posts, read 541,507 times
I think Ponderosa has been spot on with his assessment of Both Estrella and Canta Mia But I will warn you that you better be a full time resident of he will not like or welcome you!!! JK'ing

Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 PM

I guess we'd better leave the lights on in the summer if we end up in CantaMia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area