Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 AM

107 posts, read 201,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSvenska View Post
Check on insurance.
We are from MN and spend winters here. We can insure 3 bikes back home for the price of one, here.
The motorcycle license tabs are $17 back in MN, no matter what the valuation of your bike. But you pay the full valuation of your bike here. Just sayin.....
Interesting... the one bike I brought out with me from Michigan cost about 1/3 as much out here to insure. I think I pay $26 every 6 months for liability insurance.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that motorcycles can be registered for five years in AZ. I renewed two of mine last year for $65/ea, and they don't expire until 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
The biggest difference is that the riding here is all year long. Not having to put the bike away for winter is a wonderful thing.
I had an air cooled bike for a while. The bike itself was fine as long as you don't sit idling for too long. Unfortunately the heat coming off the engine was almost unbearable when your sitting at even a short stop light. I got a 1300 water cooled and life is good.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSvenska View Post
Check on insurance.
We are from MN and spend winters here. We can insure 3 bikes back home for the price of one, here.
The motorcycle license tabs are $17 back in MN, no matter what the valuation of your bike. But you pay the full valuation of your bike here. Just sayin.....
Really? For me it cost next to nothing to insure a bike here. Maybe it depends on the city in which you live? I found the insurance rates to be dirt cheap. I'd have to double check but I think I pay around $300 for the year.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM

129 posts, read 187,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Interesting... the one bike I brought out with me from Michigan cost about 1/3 as much out here to insure. I think I pay $26 every 6 months for liability insurance.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that motorcycles can be registered for five years in AZ. I renewed two of mine last year for $65/ea, and they don't expire until 2019.
Wow! What kind of bike & where do you insure?
We have 2 trikes, here, right now. A Harley & a Suzuki.
We live in Sun City.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Air cooled bikes work fine here. I've ridden several smaller bikes from 90-500cc around the valley in the summer heat. Stop and go traffic is hard on them because there is no cooling at 0mph.

The heat is something you just have to get used to. It literally feels like an oven on a 115°F plus day. The dry air sucks the moisture out of you. Hydration is very important.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:10 PM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
I ride all year. Without a doubt, some of the best conditions on the continent. Sure, there are some days it's less desirable-I avoid rain whenever possible, which is easy here. Only on the very hottest days usually in June do I worry about it by staying out of the sun during primetime 11-6pm, though I have ridden on the hottest days just to see. The main issue on hot days is waits at stop lights. I just wear a T-shirt and shorts and a lot of sunscreen. An iced or wet vest is a good idea for some.

It's no worse to me than riding a mountain bike through Manhattan, which I did, in fact I'd say it's safer if you're a defensive, aware driver. In the colder months Dec-Jan, sometimes Feb., you dress accordingly, and don't drive too far at night if possible. Another thing is that I wouldn't advise lots of night freeway riding on weekends, here or anywhere else, given the driving at those times, coupled with reduced rear visibility on a bike. I got some smaller mirrors that attach to the rear views, that help in eliminating blind spots.

Otherwise and overall, smooth sailing.

Last edited by sunluv; 03-24-2015 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
One thing to remember: When it has been several days since the last rainfall when it does rain for the first few minutes the highway will be even slicker than riding on ICE. Get off the road until all the built up oil and grime has been washed off.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 20,373 times
Do they calculate the motorcycle registration tax the same way they calculate it for cars? IIRC its 60% of the base price, them subtract 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered, then its $2.80 for every $100 of value.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
One thing to remember: When it has been several days since the last rainfall when it does rain for the first few minutes the highway will be even slicker than riding on ICE. Get off the road until all the built up oil and grime has been washed off.
Good advice if you can do it. For me I didn't ride in the center of the lane during the rain. Watch for oil slicks, especially at intersections where cars sit for longer periods. It's a good idea to watch for oil slicks during dry weather too. Never had any problems with it, tho I did avoid a few.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:34 AM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
We have at least a dozen if not more motorcycle clubs in the Phoenix Metro area. There are some amazing 2-300 mile rides with mountain scenery that include curvy roads as well as straights to open that bad boy up. There is a huge Harley culture in the valley and pretty much there is a bike event every weekend including charity rides and concerts. As far as safety... if you rode enough you know that cars cause 90% of the accidents and unfortunately there is a fatal crash every week on the news. Registration is a PITA however insurance is not that bad. My full coverage premium for a '13 Ducati is $144.27 and includes road side assistance with gas and so on...

As other have mentioned, Arizona is Bike heaven and we welcome you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area