Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 9,971 times

Advertisements

Things are moving along here. If everything goes as planned our closing date here in Tennessee will be May 29th! We are visiting next week and I can't wait to see the different areas that I have zeroed in on. I need honest opinions about commute times, quality of life, family activities, and schools. I'd love to find something in the 400-500k range, 2500 sq ft. and up, with a pool, preferably already updated inside. I want a neighborhood with LOTS of kiddos that ride bikes, near top notch schools (my biggest priority), parks, hiking, a community pool would be excellent where you can meet up with fellow neighbors, community events such as: BBQ's, movies in the park, easter egg hunts, mom's clubs and various community clubs etc. Does this exist in any of these places, or am I living in fantasy land??

Also, I am looking for a commute time of 20-35 minutes to North Central Ave in Phoenix right near Brophy. That's where my husband's offices are.

1. Desert Ridge (love the schools, commute seems good, community seems active, expensive and lots seem small)
2. Ocotillo (love the schools, commute seems BAD, not sure about community, prices are more doable)
3. 85254 zip code (commute seems good, neighborhoods seem older and not sure how many kiddos are around, schools are hit or miss, expensive)
4. My realtor is really pushing for Awhatukee but I am skeptical (schools aren't my favorite, commute seems bad, don't have a good feel for this area at all )
5. McCormick Ranch and Scottsdale Ranch (commute seems okay, not sure about families or community feel in McCormick Ranch, Scottsdale Ranch has a great community feel but really expensive)
6. ANy other places I should be looking? I'm visiting next week, yay!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 PM

518 posts, read 871,844 times
#5. And I'd use Lincoln rd as your primary east/west commuting street. The speed is moderate and it's an easy drive passing through nice scenery.

The shopping center off McCormick pkwy and Hayden is truly about as beautiful as a shopping center can get. Yeah it has a Starbucks/Walgreens but it feels tucked away and pleasant. Safe and cozy feel.

But shopping centers aside, the area is just great. You see a lot of older happy-looking retirees walking and riding bicycles. And there is a younger crowd to be seen at the gym. The area has it all.... the quality of life is great and you can really sense it. I sensed it immediately it's a special place.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
I'd stay away from Awatukhee especially now that they're completing the 202 through the area.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
2) Ocotillo: Commute on a normal day, leaving at 0700 is about 45 minutes. Not that bad really. If you throw in a few accidents then it gets horrendous.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
You are not going to find many children in McCormick Ranch. Ahwatukee has an awful commute, probably works timewise, just stressful. The schools in Ahwatukee are among the best though, no idea what makes you think otherwise. 85254 schools are also good, same district as the ones you "love" in Desert Ridge.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:02 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
For people with children I always advise south Tempe or Chandler because they're family-friendly, and located in one of the best school districts which is Kyrene.

The commute may be a bit of an issue, it's going to be heavy traffic into central Phoenix but there is good freeway access and the drivetime won't be as horrific as someplace like Desert Ridge.

Ahwatukee would be okay but the commute can be a headache.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
For people with children I always advise south Tempe or Chandler because they're family-friendly, and located in one of the best school districts which is Kyrene.

The commute may be a bit of an issue, it's going to be heavy traffic into central Phoenix but there is good freeway access and the drivetime won't be as horrific as someplace like Desert Ridge.

Ahwatukee would be okay but the commute can be a headache.
Isn't the commute from Ahwatukee more or less the same as the commute from south Tempe or Chandler?

Old 04-18-2015, 02:43 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
But shopping centers aside, the area is just great. You see a lot of older happy-looking retirees walking and riding bicycles. And there is a younger crowd to be seen at the gym. The area has it all.... the quality of life is great and you can really sense it. I sensed it immediately it's a special place.
I agree about the McCormick area: great area to live, but it may not be a prime location for those with kids. It's probably a bit too upscale for most families on a budget. It's also a somewhat older area that was developed and kept up nicely. The main benefit is how much of a lush greenbelt it is ... and I'm pretty sure that's why so many happy looking people are out & about walking, biking, or visiting one of the many parks. Sure beats all the monotonous tile roofs & rock lawns in typical suburbia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Isn't the commute from Ahwatukee more or less the same as the commute from south Tempe or Chandler?
It might be about the same distance wise, but it tends to be longer as far as time because traffic is worse. Ahwatukee is affectionately known as the world's largest cul de sac, and it's a pain in the butt trying to get on I10 from one of the main streets. Then, once you're on the 10, it's pretty much stop & crawl all the way to downtown & beyond. This of course is during morning rush hour. I'm pretty sure the commute isn't as bad during non peak drive times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area