Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:17 PM

30 posts, read 249,893 times

Advertisements

I have hired from out of state without giving it a second thought. I guess it just depends on how desperate you are for that employee. There have been many cut backs and so on, it may be that your field is saturated with resumes now. Try jobbing.com they are regional and its who many of the locals advertise with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 AM

501 posts, read 1,193,610 times
Rick Lee, just a suggestion....be sure to send a follow up letter in the mail to Amex HR. Their address is 20022 N. 31st Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85027. Not only will it show your interest, but they can perhaps pull your app faster. You and/or your wife may also want to apply at AIG Insurance or Discover Card, both of which are located off of the I-17 not too far from Amex. If Scottsdale is an option for commuting, check out Scottsdale Insurance Company. They are a division of Nationwide Insurance and their hdq is located on Gainey Blvd, off of Scottsdale Rd & Loop 101. Scottsdale has a lot of employers, but you don't have to fight the downtown traffic. Again, good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,640 times
Thanks from nv. I'm set to move on March 20th for my current employer. But the wifey is looking hard for a job there. We'll be there later this week, house hunting and business meetings for me. I really hope she can get an interview or two lined up.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 AM

300 posts, read 953,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyRD76 View Post
Hi everyone! Finally registered after reading many of the posts here. My wife and I want to move there from NJ as it is just to expensive for a young family to survive. We have a 3 yr old by the way, I have sent out tons of resumes in all the industries I have experience in and for every 10 I send out, I maybe get one response, usually saying they want someone local. I have even tried using a headhunter, but they never get back to me either.

I know there are jobs out there as I know the IT and Hospitality industries are popular there. Am I approaching the job hunt wrong, do I need to call directly to companies, Its really frustrating. If anyone hsa insight on this it would greatly be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
There are tons of people moving out and in of Phoenix from all over the country with tons of different job experience. Therefore a company won't be looking to hire someone out of state unless they can't find that person here.

My advice, work a 2nd job to save up some money then move here and then find work.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,631,385 times
i had the same problem when i was moving out here. i had enough money saved to get me through a month. i moved into the cheapest apartment i could find since i couldn't get a job without a face to face interview. So, about 2 weeks before i left Pa i contacted a head hunter and told him to schedule as many interviews as he could fit on the monday after i got into town. I started work tuesday. after 3 job offers.

Its a big risk moving cross country, be ready to work at a lower paying job, or even fast food until you can land a paying job. Just be sure your position is in demand before you take the leap.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 88,380 times
Nothing's changed since I moved here from NY 35 years ago. You pretty much have to live here to get a job here. More so now than ever before. I would caution against using local addresses and local phone numbers. Employers can see through that pretty quickly and don't like prospective employees who misrepresent themselves. I suggest you save up enough to support yourself and your family for at least 3 months before you make the move.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,631,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uponthestair View Post
Nothing's changed since I moved here from NY 35 years ago. You pretty much have to live here to get a job here. More so now than ever before. I would caution against using local addresses and local phone numbers. Employers can see through that pretty quickly and don't like prospective employees who misrepresent themselves. I suggest you save up enough to support yourself and your family for at least 3 months before you make the move.
yup, how would you answer the question "when can you come in for an interview?"

buying a plane ticket late could cost as much as a months rent in a low cost apartment!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,526,410 times
With the help of a Phoenix headhunter, my wife applied to several places while we were still in Chicago. The people who interviewed here were from Chicago, so that helped. But they set up a video conference that she attended at a local Kinko's, and got the job pretty quickly. She had to move with our baby 2 weeks before I could come. Just show your commitment, let them know you'll be moving regardless of their response, and I think you'll get some cooperation.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,193,610 times
Rick Lee, be sure to post again once you and your wife get settled. I'd be interested to hear how things went for you guys. Once again, good luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,361,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Rick Lee, be sure to post again once you and your wife get settled. I'd be interested to hear how things went for you guys. Once again, good luck!
A little has happened. She had a phone interview with Coventry in Scottsdale. Silly, since we were staying in a hotel in Scottsdale that day, but they wanted some guy in PA to talk with her by phone. They said they'd get back to her in a few weeks. Monday they called her to set up another phone interview for Wed. We were back home by then. After the second phone interview, they let her know the next day that she didn't get it. She has another lined up with some other place now and I think she'll land just fine eventually. We have a signed lease and so we put our new address on her resume. I think the recruiters will be all over her now. The only issue is when she should quit her job in DC to come to Phoenix. She makes pretty good money now and we need the paycheck. But she also needs to be in Phoenix for interviews. It'd be kinda lame for her to get interviews and then have to tell people she's not physically there yet, but can be as soon as she gives her two weeks notice at her current gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area