Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times

Advertisements

What are you all considering small? Just a quick search for 'large lot homes Phoenix' turned up 500+ on zillow for sale. Wide range in prices too. It looked like they all were 10,000 sq ft lots and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
There are still plenty of older neighborhoods with larger lots though all over the valley, some nicer than others but they are out there.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Agreed, it's getting very irritating. I've lived in small no-yard apartments for 90% of my life. I'm 34 and finally in a position to start looking to buy in the next few years and I'll be damned if when I finally do after all these years, the only things out there are lots so small you can touch your house and your neighbors house at the same time with arms out-stretched.

I really don't care what a builder thinks is best or cheapest - they are there to build it, not live in it. HUGE difference. I guess it's probably related to the busy-body cartels and trying to save costs with tiny lots, tiny streets and - one of my biggest peeves - having to walk 3 blocks to my mailbox (It's not an apartment FFS!!).

I don't expect those privileged enough to have grown up in houses all their life to understand the rest of us that haven't.
The mailbox thing being so far away is also on my list...I was just thinking that today as I took the walk over there. I really miss mailboxes at each individual house.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM

82 posts, read 173,579 times
Yeah it's pretty awful in the HOA/developments...Lots of 7000 SqFt. are commonplace...We're looking in Cave Creek and for what we can afford (with a pool/4bd) you can literally jump from roof to roof...On the plus side, they're basically zero maintenance and not having to water/cut grass is a plus? There are plenty of great homes with bigger lots in older parts of the valley though...Just have to decide what type of neighborhood you're willing to put up with as a concession...

Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM

157 posts, read 356,636 times
We moved out to Queen Creek for this very reason. I drive all over the East Valley for my job, so it didn't really matter that I am out this far. I actually prefer it. Love the open farmland and (somewhat) small town feel. The house we bought is on a 21k sqft lot and fully landscaped with an incredible pool. 1 story custom home. The only concession we had to make is that it had no basement. Being on such as big lot, our neighbors are adequately spaced for my liking and HOA stipulates no 2 story homes in neighborhood which translates into no nosy neighbors peeking in your backyard from their 2nd level. Mailboxes out front of the homes here. We paid dearly at just shy of 500k, but wouldn't have it any other way. We came from East Mesa and a home situated on a 7500 sqft lot. Needless to say, we are loving the change.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
The mailbox thing being so far away is also on my list...I was just thinking that today as I took the walk over there. I really miss mailboxes at each individual house.
One of the benefits of having an old house. The mail lady puts the mail into a slot in the wall next to my front door.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
People complain about urban sprawl in one breath than want a suburban/urban acreages to live on. What do you need a large backyard for in this climate? Grass uses too much water and requires too much upkeep.. A custom pool and/or a patio is all you need when the communities or HOAs provide rec facilities and areas for you. Another thing I noticed about Phoenix is that it's one of the few cities where you can still find bungalows being built, they take up a lot of lot space.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 PM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post

I prefer having a mailbox with a lock on it. I'll take the community box any day.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Mine is just over 16,000 sf. I always wanted a big yard and got one last time. It was fun for a while but the upkeep has gotten to be a good deal more than I like.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM

53 posts, read 129,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
There are still plenty of older neighborhoods with larger lots though all over the valley, some nicer than others but they are out there.
Yep, neighborhoods that were built in the 1970's or before usually have good size yards.

My house was built in 1971 and has a big backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area