Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
the lawsuits filed against Joe aren't "dumb" - the most current one in the news is about his targeting of Americans (not "illegals"), based on their skin color. <-------- you might want to read that sentence twice. American citizens, getting their civil rights violated under Joe's direct orders. One doesn't have to look very deeply into his press releases to find some deeply disturbing things if you use a little critical thinking.

The one that put me over the edge personally, was his "bust" at a McDonalds a while back. Cameras everywhere - a "perp walk" full of brown Americans, allegations of "identity theft".. Juicy stuff for the news, but one of those people who got "perp walked" was an American, with a valid I.D. She got to spend a whole day zip-tied in the sun, getting her face plastered on the news, getting "interrogated" by thugs with guns and badges who "thought" her valid I.D. might be "fake". She didn't sue, to my knowledge - but she did get harassed, humiliated and intimidated without any just cause or suspicion.

here's a linky:

Joe Arpaio on False McDonald's Arrest: Take All Brown People into Custody, Release Citizens Later | Phoenix New Times

That is inexcusable in a "free" country, imho.

Anyone who thinks that is "ok" hasn't read our constitution.
Events like at the McDonalds would indicate that he and his were still out there profiling.

It was interesting to hear from his testimony that he is not hands-on in the day to day operation of the department. (which testimony was certainly part of his effort to avoid blame (and referral for criminal contempt) for not following the court orders) All those out of staters who love the self described "toughest Sheriff in America" but don't have to pay his bills would be surprised to hear that, I think.

So much has been left UNDONE while his priorities have been so skewed. The child abuse/sexual assault cases that went uninvestigated, real criminals with warrants out still freely wandering around, while he focuses on things that are really not a local sheriff's priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:08 PM

784 posts, read 923,436 times
I get to pay his bills and love what he is doing....as I've said before...anyone willing to take on a lawless AG is a hero in my book...that is not easy to do...takes a lot of back bone and resolve.

You can keep throwing out comments about lawsuits but it is meaningless.....there isn't one major metro sheriff who hasn't been sued countless times and paid out millions in lawsuits....but for some reason you Joe haters can't seem to grasp that.

The biggest stat that Joe's efforts show is that of his very good recidivism rate, it is with the best in the country....when he finally leaves office you will struggle to find someone that can come close to Joes numbers...its not easy.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM

784 posts, read 923,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
well, normally I would refrain from calling bull**** about anyone's family members - but you introduced "your son" to the thread, not me - and you also gave marijuana a number of powers that it simply does not possess. Marijuana isn't addictive. Marijuana doesn't cause hallucinations. Marijuana doesn't cause alcoholism. Marijuana doesn't cause people to be institutionalized & need therapy.

Other than having "wild jazz parties" , the story about "your son" sounds strikingly similar to the plot from "reefer madness", which was btw, a fictional story from 50+ years ago.

Back on point - there *are* drugs in the valley that are addictive, cause hallucinations & all manner of awful (real) health problems & if you want to be a real anti-drug crusader, they're much more worthy targets.
I think you need to re-take your reading comprehension class again...I never stated that marijuana caused his hallucinations or caused his alcoholism....what my comments showed is that once he started using marijuana he became incapable of making good decisions.....it affected his very good grades in school (scored a 29 on first ACT test his junior year) and led to his life spiraling out of control.....as a basketball and football coach in the school I have seen this many times and if you talk to teachers they will have many similar examples.....straight A students that can no longer function after starting to use marijuana...this is a fact and very common side affect to using....I would not be surprised if you can't comprehend that since you clearly are a fan of the weed.

I noticed you left alone the facts I showed you about marijuana drug crimes.....maybe we can stop the lies about marijuana being a victimless crime.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
I get to pay his bills and love what he is doing....as I've said before...anyone willing to take on a lawless AG is a hero in my book...that is not easy to do...takes a lot of back bone and resolve.

You can keep throwing out comments about lawsuits but it is meaningless.....there isn't one major metro sheriff who hasn't been sued countless times and paid out millions in lawsuits....but for some reason you Joe haters can't seem to grasp that.

The biggest stat that Joe's efforts show is that of his very good recidivism rate, it is with the best in the country....when he finally leaves office you will struggle to find someone that can come close to Joes numbers...its not easy.

Have some hard numbers on that recidivism rate? And compare them to the crime numbers? If someone leaves town and can't get picked up again here, and gets replaced by some one else looking for fun in the sunshine who gets picked up, does it matter? Besides, he is only primarily charged with law enforcement in unincorporated areas. His main job is to run the jail, move prisoners around, other statutory tasks, not everyday law enforcement, everywhere in the county. Or checking the President's birth certificate, or paying a "private investigator" who duped him and his minions how much money?

I'd like to compare his wrongful death suit numbers to other large metro sheriffs. Time for some research when I get a chance.

I'm sure he will appreciate your contribution to his legal fees. If he'd followed the court orders in the first place, think how much he'd have saved. But then of course, he's not really hands on running the sheriff's office, according to him. What IS he doing, then?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,703 times
Quote:

Do you really think the lawsuits are similar to other sheriffs in the country? The wrongful deaths, the Justice Dept. investigations, etc., think these are all business as usual? I would not have such a big problem with this sheriff if he would follow the law himself. He skirts the law, abuses powers, abuses prisoners and just does whatever he pleases.
I voted for this guy at one time. I think he has been bad for our county and state. He is an embarrassment. He needs to be held accountable and I think he will be.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:

you like the recidivism rate?

How about the crime rate, you like that?

Here's a handy chart you might want to review :

http://amvoice.3cdn.net/65e853e50925..._qnm6br8rn.JPG

the part that's *up* 58% while the rest of the state goes down? -

That's Arpaio's turf.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Actually you would be wrong...the top drug that leads to more prison incarceration than any other is marijuana. A minority of those incarcerated is for casual use, most of them involve another crime tied to the drug be it robbery, theft, assault or murder.

Maybe you should give your "I hate Joe" rant a break and start paying attention to the facts.

Even in a case where a middle class or rich kid is using drugs buying it with their own money doesn't make for a victimless crime...I know because we lived it with our youngest son....even though he was never arrested we watched him go from an honor student athlete to not being able to graduated from high school in less than a year of starting to smoke marijuana.

He was an accomplished athlete in basketball and football....was drug tested continually by the school and always passed, started as an outside linebacker as a sophomore on his varsity team rated 1# in the state of Illinois...was all area when a junior. His life feel apart after his senior football season, we know today from talking with his closest friends that it was mostly due to his daily marijuana use.....from there he became an alcoholic at the age of 20 and was found near death and was institutionalized for 2 months....he had to be restrained to a bed due to hallucinations.

Having moved to Phoenix and getting almost daily support he has been clean for 12 months...but it has not been easy......a lot of pain and suffering has happened because of this.....so for anyone to try and tell me that marijuana is a victimless crime can go and try selling it to someone else...I'm not buying it.
I've known kids like you describe. They all had extremely messed up home lives/parents. Every time you point a finger you have three more pointing back at you.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I think you need to re-take your reading comprehension class again...I never stated that marijuana caused his hallucinations or caused his alcoholism....what my comments showed is that once he started using marijuana he became incapable of making good decisions.....it affected his very good grades in school (scored a 29 on first ACT test his junior year) and led to his life spiraling out of control.....as a basketball and football coach in the school I have seen this many times and if you talk to teachers they will have many similar examples.....straight A students that can no longer function after starting to use marijuana...this is a fact and very common side affect to using....I would not be surprised if you can't comprehend that since you clearly are a fan of the weed.

I noticed you left alone the facts I showed you about marijuana drug crimes.....maybe we can stop the lies about marijuana being a victimless crime.
Making more sense now...

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 PM

I'm from a small town where everyone knew everyone. The kids that went as batsh*t as you describe your son going, on regular old pot and alcohol all had incest/sexual abuse in their households. There, I said it.

Pot and alcohol don't make someone go as crazy as what you described. Underlying issues do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area