Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times

Advertisements

Long story short, apparently my wife had worked at Danny Family Carwash for 3 years, unfortunately neither of us was aware she was working there. Even better, the termination date of the identity thief was the day it got raided by ICE.

We owe the IRS thousands in taxes for unreported income now and they want a police report to prove it wasn't ours. Problem is we don't know what city she was working in, so I don't know where to file a police report. I talked to an MCSO dispatcher who took my name and number, but I have not got a call back.

What valley LE agency can do a report for identity theft, DPS, MCSO? Does ICE have a filed office or any place I can call?

Kind of spinning in circles here and just hoping someone who has dealt with a mess like this can give me some advice.

On a side note, I am fully boycotting that car wash. Apparently management and ownership were setting there employees up with false documents. These jerks have caused me hours of anguish on hold with the IRS, SSA etc....

KEep that in mind if you ever need your car washed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Long story short, apparently my wife had worked at Danny Family Carwash for 3 years, unfortunately neither of us was aware she was working there. Even better, the termination date of the identity thief was the day it got raided by ICE.

We owe the IRS thousands in taxes for unreported income now and they want a police report to prove it wasn't ours. Problem is we don't know what city she was working in, so I don't know where to file a police report. I talked to an MCSO dispatcher who took my name and number, but I have not got a call back.

What valley LE agency can do a report for identity theft, DPS, MCSO? Does ICE have a filed office or any place I can call?

Kind of spinning in circles here and just hoping someone who has dealt with a mess like this can give me some advice.

On a side note, I am fully boycotting that car wash. Apparently management and ownership were setting there employees up with false documents. These jerks have caused me hours of anguish on hold with the IRS, SSA etc....

I'd contact DPS and ask them about whether you can file with them since you don't know which location she was at. ICE really isn't involved in this part of it. Too bad Danny's can't just tell you where she was. Perhaps the FBI field office here could help you. What a mess, I'm so sorry for your trouble.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
That is a hectic mess. I am sorry your family has been the victim of identity theft.

The FBI advises that you contact the local field office.

FBI — Identity Theft

Given that the IRS is knocking it may be prudent to lawyer up. Guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of the IRS.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Too bad Danny's can't just tell you where she was. .
Once I mentioned identity theft, they hung up on me.

I will try DPS this afternoon!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Some advice from the FDIC: https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/priva...over/call.html

It's hard to find a venue when you don't know where it happened. The Secret Service is tasked with investigating identity theft, but its unlikely you will meet the prosecutive minimum loss necessary for them to open a case (and their agents will become increasingly busy with protective details as the campaign season heats up). About all you can do is damage control. This is the Secret Service's guide to what to do if you are a victim, and/or how to prevent further financial damage: http://www.secretservice.gov/press/Take_Charge.pdf

The FBI can do identity theft investigations but will usually only become involved in identity theft if it can be shown to have been stolen over the Internet (doubtful in your case), and there is the same problem with meeting the prosecutive loss minimum. Still worth trying, though. FBI field offices rarely open such cases and suggest you submit them through their Internet Fraud Reporting website, www.ic3.gov. As you might expect, there are millions of such complaints.

If BICE was the investigating agency on Danny's (can't remember), you should definitely try calling and asking to speak to their criminal investigations section or the agent who was assigned the case, they may be able to use it for add-on charges.

You can (and should) do a free credit report on yourself - all the 3 major credit reporting services are required by law to do so 1x a year, so if you rotate and alternate checks with each one every 4 months you can see if any accounts, etc. were opened in your name. Here's the information from the Federal Trade Commission on how to do it: https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-pro...-credit-report.

Quite a few people have had their social security number used by illegal aliens (whether through theft of your number, or they made up a phony SSAN that happened to be yours) without them ever being aware until something happens like what happened to you. I've reviewed a lot of people's credit reports and often when I've looked at "other names associated with this social security number" I found a name associated with a different ethnic background than the person who had the social security number assigned , probably about 5 - 10% of the time. (Commonly with a hyphenated surname, which is more common among Mexican nationals who will include the mother's surname, than among American-born citizens of Hispanic ancestry) The people whose credit I was checking were almost always unaware of someone having appropriated the number until I told them. Always worth checking your credit report regularly.

Sorry this happened to you.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 05-28-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
That is a hectic mess. I am sorry your family has been the victim of identity theft.

The FBI advises that you contact the local field office.

FBI — Identity Theft

Given that the IRS is knocking it may be prudent to lawyer up. Guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of the IRS.
Quote:
Once I mentioned identity theft, they hung up on me.

I will try DPS this afternoon!
In light of Bondurant's post above, I would call the FBI. They may be somewhat familiar with the whole "Danny's" thing, and I'll bet your wife is not the only one in this mess.

I don't think it's necessary to "lawyer up" just yet. Get the police report filed, and then see what happens with the IRS. Your wife better pull her credit report, too. Can get it free once a quarter.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
In light of Bondurant's post above, I would call the FBI. They may be somewhat familiar with the whole "Danny's" thing, and I'll bet your wife is not the only one in this mess.

I don't think it's necessary to "lawyer up" just yet. Get the police report filed, and then see what happens with the IRS. Your wife better pull her credit report, too. Can get it free once a quarter.

Pull all three credit reports - many lenders only report to one agency.

Annualcreditreport.com

I wouldn't lose a lot of hair over the irs - it's frustrating that its so hard to get to a real person, but they've seen this before, so get a report to them & they'll figure it out.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:46 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
Call gilbert PD. Easier to call the jurisdiction where you live. It's a 5 minute report for the officer. Just keep it cut and dry for him.

My wife lives in gilbert. We received an IRS notice about a tax discrepancy. There is a no follow up that we know of. She never worked ad danny's and here is her social #. In some cities you can even do it online.

He'll scratch out a report and give you the #. Your beef is with the IRS, and all they want is the Police report number. If you think anyone is going to follow up on this or go to jail you are crazy. Same with calling the FBI, DPS, MCSO, etc etc. waste of time.

You can thank either republican big business or democrat open borders crowd for your wife's hassle. Noone cares about americans now, and so you get to deal with this.

Sorry, and good luck.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:

That is horrible that it happened to you. The chain of car washes is under new ownership (and name) since the raids, so I can understand why they might not want to talk to you. It's really not their issue since it was the Danny's people involved.

Hopefully you can get a resolution. It seems you have gotten good info in this thread.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
I'm never going to that car wash again. But now I'm thinking about Life Lock. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area