Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family will be relocating in August due to my husband's job. It's in Tempe Town Lake. We are leaning towards Chandler, but haven't settled on it. I have a child that will be in 5th grade and is currently in the gifted program where we live now. I have heard really negative things about the school system in AZ. I have heard good things about Basis (I know we may not be able to get her in) but I don't want her to be completely overwhelmed. She's a sensitive kid, and I don't know how pressured she'd feel there. I don't want her to be bored though either. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to keep my husbands commute in mind too and try to keep it at 40 min or under.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 03:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking1018 View Post
Hi,

My family will be relocating in August due to my husband's job. It's in Tempe Town Lake. We are leaning towards Chandler, but haven't settled on it. I have a child that will be in 5th grade and is currently in the gifted program where we live now. I have heard really negative things about the school system in AZ. I have heard good things about Basis (I know we may not be able to get her in) but I don't want her to be completely overwhelmed. She's a sensitive kid, and I don't know how pressured she'd feel there. I don't want her to be bored though either. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to keep my husbands commute in mind too and try to keep it at 40 min or under.

Thanks!!!
There was an interesting article on Basis recently where they mentioned that they really have a high attrition rate, which is how they do so well on the tests (kids that aren't excelling at the highest standards are essentially shown the door). I have a son in Chandler schools and his school is rated 10/10, he has about an hour of homework every night and then is active in sports year round. There are options if my kids turn out "gifted" such as the CATS program http://www.mychandlerschools.org/sit...px?PageID=1752 , Knox Gifted Academy http://www.mychandlerschools.org/knox , etc.

There's no chance in hell I would ever consider sending my son to a Basis school, what I have read about them goes against so much about how I think a kid should be raised, which is well rounded. If my kids are the cream of the crop, they will rise regardless where they are and I want a good mix of extracurricular activities as they grow up. That's just me though, they have a waiting list so obviously in many peoples minds they are great. I would personally sign up for a normal elementary with the cats program and go from there.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:16 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
The Kyrene School District in Tempe gets good ratings. www.kyrene.org As noted above, Chandler also has some excellent options. You can't speak generally about "the school system in AZ" because there are hundreds of districts, some better than others. AZ is at the bottom in terms of state funding of schools, but low state funding does not mean that there are not dedicated, talented teachers here who can challenge your child.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:34 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
My daughter was in Hamilton High School in Chandler and hated it, so I switched her an online school Primavera which was better and then an online hybrid school Blueprint which was a great fit for her. She just graduated a year early and she was valedictorian.

They actually had courses about getting a good mortgage rate and how to balance your checkbook which are far more useful than many politically correct or some of the more useless HS courses.

There are many charter and online schools you may want to consider. They can get your child an early start on college.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:41 PM

Online school for a fifth grader? Sorry, I don't like that idea, though I know there are such things. For high school age, that's one thing. Fifth grade? No. Especially here, moving into a new neighborhood... the kids you go to school with are the same ones that live in your area, getting to know them in both places is a good thing. Way better than spending the day with a computer.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,366 times
Basis doesn't sound like an option I want to look at for her. I am sure that there are good schools to be found. Since I'm not familiar with the area I am trying to figure out where to start. I do want her in a classroom so that she's able to make friends. She's very unhappy about leaving her friends here.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking1018 View Post
Basis doesn't sound like an option I want to look at for her. I am sure that there are good schools to be found. Since I'm not familiar with the area I am trying to figure out where to start. I do want her in a classroom so that she's able to make friends. She's very unhappy about leaving her friends here.
I would start with south Tempe (Kyrene School District) and Chandler.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Online school for a fifth grader? Sorry, I don't like that idea, though I know there are such things. For high school age, that's one thing. Fifth grade? No. Especially here, moving into a new neighborhood... the kids you go to school with are the same ones that live in your area, getting to know them in both places is a good thing. Way better than spending the day with a computer.
Home schooled children outperform public school children all day long.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Home schooled children outperform public school children all day long.
Except when it comes to socializing which IMO is one of the most important aspects. A great degree may not mean much if one is socially awkward and can't perform in an interview or does not have a strong network of friends.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
My daughter was in Hamilton High School in Chandler and hated it, so I switched her an online school Primavera which was better and then an online hybrid school Blueprint which was a great fit for her. She just graduated a year early and she was valedictorian.

They actually had courses about getting a good mortgage rate and how to balance your checkbook which are far more useful than many politically correct or some of the more useless HS courses.

There are many charter and online schools you may want to consider. They can get your child an early start on college.
Hamilton High School is one of the best schools in the state! If the OP is moving to Chandler, getting within the boundaries of Hamilton would be a goof thing!

And I don't mean to be a jerk, but no matter how much my kid begged, I would not let them go to an online school. Social skills are very valuable in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area