Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 PM

755 posts, read 675,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
See, you're wrong. The ACTUAL cost on a $400,000 mortgage PITI is around $2,300, not $2000. The OP was talking about 5% down, not 20%, so that may be part of the confusion. And Detroit was not putting money into 401K and healthcare to prove a point, he did so because it is the smart and responsible thing to do. You think having $2,700/month left after simply paying the mortgage with ALL the other expenses I mentioned is easy and you can live well, I showed you that is incorrect. A person taking home $5,000/month should pay no more than $1,500/month on a mortgage IMO and even then could not afford a lot of extravagant trips without carefully budgeting elsewhere.

As to calling my Legoland and Disneyland vacations extravagant? Pinch me I must be dreaming

I agree with this. I am not suggesting someone go out and buy a 400k house on a household income of 100k. I am just saying that you could do it and still afford it or live comfortable or whatever, because those terms are relative. Some people I know are very frugal and happy being that way. Most are wasteful spenders though.

Would I do it? no. I need to save more. My wife and I live off of one income, we have been for the past 15 years....always have and always will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 PM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Well we are staying in suites in hotels located at the park. Then again we don't make $100K as a family, but 3.5+ times that much. I suppose I could have saved $700 total staying at the HoJo but it's still a big expense regardless. I think we pre-paid for 1 meal in those totals too

Bragging about your income

Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Read your own link, brother. They have housing expense at 34%, your example was at 46% . If someone taking home $5000/month spent 34% on housing, that would be $1,700. That is an average, and as we know people on average do not save very much and are typically poor with money management. But still MUCH less than what you say people can easily afford.

Looks like I win
Lol!! no you don't! 6k..

Btw, my 4 year old loved the GIF.. Thanks

Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well we are staying in suites in hotels located at the park. Then again we don't make $100K as a family, but 3.5+ times that much. I suppose I could have saved $700 total staying at the HoJo but it's still a big expense regardless. I think we pre-paid for 1 meal in those totals too

So because you make good money, you should over pay? Staying at the park is the biggest rippoff and waste of money. How do you make so much money with that mentally? You aren't keeping as much as you should. There are great hotels and deals out there all of the time.

You make 350k but you are in debt

Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post

Btw, 350k is not impressive enough to brag about.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Some people are OK with strict budgeting, waiting for the next check to come in and working until they are tired and wrinkled and others want to enjoy life. I'd rather be spending time with friends and family than cleaning a pool or pulling weeds. $100K in income for an average family is certainly livable but very modest. I have to travel and take vacations and do things that I enjoy which require funding. I work very hard to do so. That income wouldn't cut it for me.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:57 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Don't get your adult diapers in a bunch

Old 06-13-2015, 04:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
My sister lives in Scottsdale and while some parts of Scottsdale are for the rich and famous like pro athletes its a huge town with some middle class parts as well that are affordable. Paradise Valley is more for the super rich. Scottsdale has every type of race, age, religious affiliation, every socio economic resident except for the lower middle class to broke extreme poverty type, you can live in Scottsdale on a middle class salary 40-60 k a year. Its a myth that all of Scottsdale is for the rich.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
So because you make good money, you should over pay? Staying at the park is the biggest rippoff and waste of money. How do you make so much money with that mentally? You aren't keeping as much as you should. There are great hotels and deals out there all of the time.

You make 350k but you are in debt

Here's the thinking:

1. We have 2 kids, staying in a suite is preferred because they go to sleep earlier, staying in one room with everyone is not what I want to do, been there, done that.

2. We want to stay at a Disneyland Hotel because you get into the park earlier and can get a lot done in that hour with no crowds, plus they are much more convenient to the parks, restaurants, monorail and the Grand Californian where we are staying has it's own entrance.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so. Still nowhere near as expensive as a trip to Europe for example but we paid more for a little convenience and luxury. If you look at rooms in that hotel, you'll see we could have spent much, much more. Not an extravagant trip, but I could have definitely done it on more of a budget, still probably would come close to $3K

3. I am in debt on purpose because the cost of money is so cheap now. I do not have a negative net worth, I have the cash to pay off my primary residence and rentals if I wanted to, but at 3.5%, why??

Old 06-13-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Some people are OK with strict budgeting, waiting for the next check to come in and working until they are tired and wrinkled and others want to enjoy life. I'd rather be spending time with friends and family than cleaning a pool or pulling weeds. $100K in income for an average family is certainly livable but very modest. I have to travel and take vacations and do things that I enjoy which require funding. I work very hard to do so. That income wouldn't cut it for me.
Well said. I agree with you, except I enjoy cleaning things when I have time.

Now time for me to go wash my dog...myself (Red Dobbie), pick up his poop....myself...and let him in the house.

I think this thread has ran it's course for me. It has been fun fellas...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area