Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times

Advertisements

On that TV show, Sunday Morning, they did a whole story on Sun City. Not SC Grand, or West, but the original one where I live. They said the neighborhood is showing it's age, as evident in the classic ranch home styling I assume. There are kids of the original owners who live here now, even grandchildren who are of age now. That will be the story with me too. Even though I'm not 55 yet, my mom is. I pay the mortgage payment so it's a win win for both of us. I never had kids and don't plan to either. So even though sometimes I feel out of place here, it actually suits me good.

​Sun City comes of age - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Good ol' Del Webb! What a guy!

Built those 55 & Glad to be Alive retirement communities -- full of ranch-style, tract-type homes -- for the "young at heart"! Golf, swimming, & pickle ball! What a great place for all of us to go and _ _ _!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 AM

143 posts, read 300,816 times
I honestly don't understand the allure of Sun City. My parents have lived there for 12 years now so I have spent some time in the area. I don't find the area appealing aesthetically at all. They have cut down so many mature trees over the last 10 years and it looks horrible. Not only individual property owner's but the Association as well. We live in Arizona and if you have mature trees you should be doing everything you can to keep them.

The people are rude and entitled as well. I stayed with my parents for 3 weeks after my dad had a quadruple bypass. I was stationed overseas at the time and I flew home to help my mom. I got stopped 3 or 4 times out walking their dog by people telling me I was too young to stay there. Forgive me for helping my family temporarily.

I moved back to Arizona 2 years ago to be closer to family and help my parents so I have spent even more time up there and my opinion hasn't changed.

My parents supposedly "love" it up there but they are constantly griping about all their neighbors. Susie at the rec center is doing something wrong and John that lives 2 doors down has a dog that barks. Dave across the street takes too many parking spots for his 3 cars.

I am glad that people have found places they "love" living. I just know I won't be moving up there. Just my perspective.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
We lived for 8 years in a master planned community in north Peoria and believe me, most of my neighbors were rude, entitled and talked about everyone there doing this or doing that, calling the HOA.
We happen to like the 60's style homes here...just our thing. Got tired of the fake European faux stone exteriors that were so popular 8 years ago. All developments age and the odd thing is, the development we left now sports Mid Century exteriors on some of their new builds lol.
People age, houses age but if you peel back the layers, most are the same.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:26 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az_Mitch View Post
I honestly don't understand the allure of Sun City. My parents have lived there for 12 years now so I have spent some time in the area. I don't find the area appealing aesthetically at all. They have cut down so many mature trees over the last 10 years and it looks horrible. Not only individual property owner's but the Association as well. We live in Arizona and if you have mature trees you should be doing everything you can to keep them.

The people are rude and entitled as well. I stayed with my parents for 3 weeks after my dad had a quadruple bypass. I was stationed overseas at the time and I flew home to help my mom. I got stopped 3 or 4 times out walking their dog by people telling me I was too young to stay there. Forgive me for helping my family temporarily.

I moved back to Arizona 2 years ago to be closer to family and help my parents so I have spent even more time up there and my opinion hasn't changed.

My parents supposedly "love" it up there but they are constantly griping about all their neighbors. Susie at the rec center is doing something wrong and John that lives 2 doors down has a dog that barks. Dave across the street takes too many parking spots for his 3 cars.

I am glad that people have found places they "love" living. I just know I won't be moving up there. Just my perspective.

So in other areas people never complain about the neighbors?

Old 06-20-2015, 03:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:

We sell RE in a Sun City. Maybe 150 sales over the years. We don't live there though close by.

Sun City neighborhoods vary like everywhere. Some blocks are in a state of war. Others throw regular block parties on holidays or just for the hell of it. Dogs and cats are almost universal and the source of immense amounts of bickering. There is always one person without an animal who drives the neighborhood crazy over barking.. Ought to be a rule everyone gets a puppy on moving in. Dogs and dog walking is also a heavy social scene. they meet to walk or gossip while the dogs play.

Younger people are generally welcome. We encounter people down into their thirty's. There is no rule against young people. Anyone over 18 can live there as long as one member is over 55. The Sun Cities appear to tolerate children but they are really not welcome.

We do sometimes find rude people but no more than anywhere and well less than say on LI NY... Your mileage may vary but OFs are generally pretty reasonable. Our Sun City is self managed and they actually do an exceptional job. Rational and thoughtful management.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 PM

143 posts, read 300,816 times
You are absolutely right that people complain everywhere. I currently live in a master planned community in the west valley and I hear people complain all the time. It just seems to me that intolerance increases with age and it also seems to be even more focused and prevalent in Sun City. It was simply an observation.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:00 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP...Mature trees, what mature trees. SC never had mature trees to begin with.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM

604 posts, read 934,752 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand the allure of Sun City. My parents have lived there for 12 years now so I have spent some time in the area. I don't find the area appealing aesthetically at all.

The people are rude and entitled as well. I stayed with my parents for 3 weeks after my dad had a quadruple bypass. I was stationed overseas at the time and I flew home to help my mom. I got stopped 3 or 4 times out walking their dog by people telling me I was too young to stay there.

I'm surprised at this negative experience. We've been investigating various AZ 55+ communities and found Sun City to be perhaps one of the very best. The community is extremely well run and financially sound thanks to its volunteers. During our tours and visits the residents were very friendly.

Most of all it is probably the most affordable 55+ community in the U.S. This is what draws many residents. It appears the next generation is discovering that and moving into Sun City.

We still have not made a final selection on our future home but I will say Sun City deserves serious consideration. AZ_Mitch, go away from your parents circle and see if you can find a better experience in this community. Your opinion is valuable to those also taking a good look at SC.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM

129 posts, read 187,176 times
We bought a 1400 sq ft block ranch house, 60s vintage, in Sun City. We love the low prices, easy upkeep and lots of close rec centers, to have fun at. We even like our neighbors/neighborhood. You can easily get by with just a bicycle or golf car as transportation. We love our retirement here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area