Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I checked out the Hawthorne for a new employee who was moving from TN. The place looked pretty nice. The new employee liked her apt. Pass by it every once in a while. On the outside it still looks the same. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,115 times
If you are working in the Christown Mall area then have you considered commuting by light rail? It literally runs right to it. Then you could just find any apt that looks good on the light rail line...Downtown or Midtown would take you 15-25 min. I really wouldn't want to live close to the Christown Mall area but I know everyone's comfort levels are different.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 AM

77 posts, read 74,321 times
Thanks for all the advice! I've heard good things about the Arcadia area. Any thoughts? I'm looking into the following apartments: The Dakota at Camelback, Monterra, Indigo Palms, and Arcadia Cove (from closest to furthest). I'm leaning towards The Dakota as it's the closest and close the great shopping and eateries. Arcadia Cove looks nice and modern. They're all gated, which is nice. Any thoughts? Is the driving reasonable? Google estimates driving ranges from 14 to 17 minutes.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexethan View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I've heard good things about the Arcadia area. Any thoughts? I'm looking into the following apartments: The Dakota at Camelback, Monterra, Indigo Palms, and Arcadia Cove (from closest to furthest). I'm leaning towards The Dakota as it's the closest and close the great shopping and eateries. Arcadia Cove looks nice and modern. They're all gated, which is nice. Any thoughts? Is the driving reasonable?

Thanks.
It's at least partially a reverse commute from Arcadia, you have to go out of your way to get on a freeway, so you would be looking at surface streets. I wouldn't go that far just to live in an apt in Arcadia vs Central Phoenix, and I'd rather be near the light rail than setting myself up to drive everywhere, but that's up to you. I don't have any personal knowledge of the apartment complexes, but EDIT: looking up the Dakota, that's not Arcadia, that's Biltmore. That makes it a better drive. I would not go further east than that, it's an easy drive to any restaurant in Arcadia when you want to go there.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's at least partially a reverse commute from Arcadia, you have to go out of your way to get on a freeway, so you would be looking at surface streets. I wouldn't go that far just to live in an apt in Arcadia vs Central Phoenix, and I'd rather be near the light rail than setting myself up to drive everywhere, but that's up to you. I don't have any personal knowledge of the apartment complexes, but EDIT: looking up the Dakota, that's not Arcadia, that's Biltmore. That makes it a better drive. I would not go further east than that, it's an easy drive to any restaurant in Arcadia when you want to go there.
You're right, the Dakota is in Biltmore. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out The Hawthorne and The Dakota. I'm not familiar with public transit and unless it pull up in front of my place I don't think it's feasible and safe at the odd hours I work.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
You're right, the Dakota is in Biltmore. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out The Hawthorne and The Dakota. I'm not familiar with public transit and unless it pull up in front of my place I don't think it's feasible and safe at the odd hours I work.
The area around the Dakota is more appealing than the Central Phoenix area where the Hawthorne is. if you are working odd hours, driving can be a better option (and I'm a big public transit fan).

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
As I am sure you know, staying near Indian School Road is your best bet. XD Even if the commute is not 15 minutes I would say you'll find plenty of decent areas and housing from about 44th to Central, and from Camelback to Thomas rd.

I grew up in Old Town Scottsdale and moved to Phoenix (Arcadia area) as an adult. Central/Old Town Scottsdale can be nice and in your price point depending on how upscale you're trying to be (around 85251). There is plenty of reasonable Scottsdale housing near Camelback and Hayden. South Scottsdale is more affordable but also has fewer amenities than Old Town. On the upside South Scottsdale is closer to Tempe. Where the cheaper drinks are. lol

But, bless my city's heart, Scottsdale has been gentrified to Upscale Basic *****. I would suggest looking in the Arcadia area if you want more spice. The area I lived in was 85015. Which was close to more independent shops like La Grande Orange (LGO), Poor Little Rich Girl, Post, Over Easy, and other independent and non-chain stores. Phoenix is also more liberal than reserved Scottsdale.

On the other hand Scottsdale Rd from about Osborn to Camelback is SUPER hard to beat with convenience. I've walked from Osborn Hospital, to CVS for my prescription, and then walked home. It' also eating row with almost every type of cuisine, art walks, and other things in window-shopping distance to each other. So it can be a toss-up of how much you love being able to go to a game, and then cross the street to the hospital, then do a leap to the Civic center library (Which is kitty-corner to the Cop-Shop and Justice buildings).

Old 07-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmikoNiwa View Post
As I am sure you know, staying near Indian School Road is your best bet. XD Even if the commute is not 15 minutes I would say you'll find plenty of decent areas and housing from about 44th to Central, and from Camelback to Thomas rd.

I grew up in Old Town Scottsdale and moved to Phoenix (Arcadia area) as an adult. Central/Old Town Scottsdale can be nice and in your price point depending on how upscale you're trying to be (around 85251). There is plenty of reasonable Scottsdale housing near Camelback and Hayden. South Scottsdale is more affordable but also has fewer amenities than Old Town. On the upside South Scottsdale is closer to Tempe. Where the cheaper drinks are. lol

But, bless my city's heart, Scottsdale has been gentrified to Upscale Basic *****. I would suggest looking in the Arcadia area if you want more spice. The area I lived in was 85015. Which was close to more independent shops like La Grande Orange (LGO), Poor Little Rich Girl, Post, Over Easy, and other independent and non-chain stores. Phoenix is also more liberal than reserved Scottsdale.

On the other hand Scottsdale Rd from about Osborn to Camelback is SUPER hard to beat with convenience. I've walked from Osborn Hospital, to CVS for my prescription, and then walked home. It' also eating row with almost every type of cuisine, art walks, and other things in window-shopping distance to each other. So it can be a toss-up of how much you love being able to go to a game, and then cross the street to the hospital, then do a leap to the Civic center library (Which is kitty-corner to the Cop-Shop and Justice buildings).
Very helpful. Thanks! What do you think about the Dakota apartments? Is within walkable distance to any popular shops/hang out area?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 PM

640 posts, read 956,920 times
Quote:
Very helpful. Thanks! What do you think about the Dakota apartments? Is within walkable distance to any popular shops/hang out area?
I don't have any specific knowledge of the Dakota apartments, but that is a great location. From there you can actually walk to the Town and Country shops (LA Fitness, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and some restaurants). And you are only 2 miles down Campbell from Postinos and the other restaurants on 40th St to ride your bike or drive to.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,043 times
PHX traffic is a bear. Traveling 5 miles on surface streets can take up to 25 minutes during peak times. I would suggest living in the same zip as your job. The light rail would definitely be ideal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area