Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,336 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I am a 28 year old single male with no kids and I am moving to the Phoenix area in late August/early September for work. I am looking to buy a house but I wanted some input and advice on some good locations to start looking at.

I have a budget of about 200k and I would like a 2 br/1.5 bath preferably with a pool (townhouses are fine). I would also like to be located somewhere with a good population of young professionals. Also I would like to be close to restaurants, bars, etc. I

I have heard that Scottsdale is a great place to live, but I was wondering where specifically I should look. I appreciate any input and advice, it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 AM

143 posts, read 300,683 times
Where will you be working? The Phoenix area is huge.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,336 times
I will be traveling to southern cal and Las Vegas for my job so I have flexibility to live wherever I want within the city. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:36 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrking23 View Post
I will be traveling to southern cal and Las Vegas for my job so I have flexibility to live wherever I want within the city. Thanks in advance for the help.
Traveling by car or airplane?

and what do you enjoy during your leisure hours?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 PM

23 posts, read 39,553 times
I would look at North Scottsdale or North Phoenix near Desert Ridge.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Jkgourmet's question is key. Do you need to be near the airport? I-10? For newcomers, it often bears repeating that Metro Phoenix is the same size as the entire STATE of New Jersey. So one can live in "Phoenix" and be nowhere near either Sky Harbor Airport or an interstate highway.

Where are you moving from? Where else have you lived? Have you spent any amount of time in Phoenix so you know what downtown or uptown look like?

There is huge variety in the look and feel of Phoenix's neighborhoods. Most people will advise you to rent here for awhile before deciding to buy, which is good advice given the differences from one area to another. Also, your budget isn't very big for a single family home with a pool. Townhouse with a community pool is possible at the top of your budget unless you can work with one bed/one bath. Not to say you can't get one, but it's not likely to be in an upscale areas full of single professionals unless you are prepared for a place that needs a lot of updating.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 07-05-2015 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
If you are driving I would suggest the West side of the valley just to save time mainly. If you want to be near bars I would check out the Westgate area near the Cardinals stadium. Glendale is pretty well-priced depending where you look. I live near downtown Glendale and my house is 150k and is a 4 bedroom 2 bath in a safe neighborhood. With Glendale, Peoria, and Surprise you are near Grand Ave. which puts you at almost a direct shot to driving to Las Vegas.

If West valley doesn't win your heart I would take a guess that the biggest cluster of young professionals in Phoenix will be in the south Scottsdale area near Old Town (Scottsdale Fashion Square area). Old Town has the most bars and clubs and it's near Mill Avenue. If you are flying for your work it'll probably be better to live on the East side to be closer to Sky Harbor. But housing is more expensive over there especially because it's near Paradise Valley but has better nightlife. I don't know if you can find what you are looking for at that price in Scottsdale.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I'm old and live in Sun City but if I was young I think I would like to live in the Westgate area. I go there to eat and shop but I hear the night life is good. I see a lot of different things scheduled there.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
For newcomers, it often bears repeating that Metro Phoenix is the same size as the entire STATE of New Jersey.
While I agree with what you are getting at, equating the metropolitan area with an area the size of New Jersey is a bit misleading. The county is that size, and there are some government folks who may make the entire county part of the metropolitan area, but the practical reality is that the populated area is a little less than half that size. You won't find prospective newcomers looking at homes in Gila Bend, or at least I hope not.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
I would live off of Chandler BLVD...west of 1-10. Distance wise it is not too far from Sky Harbor and the traffic won't be an issue if you leave at off peak hours. Scottsdale is good but not sure about your budget...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area