Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East valley or West Valley
East Valley 63 64.95%
West Valley 14 14.43%
forget the suburbs, Phoenix proper all the way 20 20.62%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,970,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
You think the investigate one of the oldest gangs in Arizona? You know they call Tempe home

Too bad that stolen bikes is not the extent of Tempe crime. There is some serious crime happening in that city. Crimes that are tied to the Cartels

Gang Linked to Mexico's Sinaloa Cartel Busted in Arizona | Fox News Latino

Fox has a Latino site? That seems sorta mean. Okay there's 1 gang but here's an overview of 300, Google isn't all that hard to use.

Gang Influence Runs Deep in Phoenix's Roots | Phoenix New Times

There's an overarching theme in here and I'm sure you'll figure it out. I went to school in Alhambra and Maryvale growing up. It extends to Glendale, Tolleson and old Avondale too but per the article the majority of Ganges are in South and West Phoenix with pockets in Chandler and Tempe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Fox has a Latino site? That seems sorta mean. Okay there's 1 gang but here's an overview of 300, Google isn't all that hard to use.

Gang Influence Runs Deep in Phoenix's Roots | Phoenix New Times

There's an overarching theme in here and I'm sure you'll figure it out. I went to school in Alhambra and Maryvale growing up. It extends to Glendale, Tolleson and old Avondale too but per the article the majority of Ganges are in South and West Phoenix with pockets in Chandler and Tempe.
A few posts ago you tried to downplay Tempe's crime to stolen bikes. Simply not true. You don't become one of the most dangerous suburbs in the US from stolen bikes.

Here is some more reading for you.

Richardson: Tempe must step up fight on

Quote:
Tempe has historically blamed ASU and others for its crime problems.
Quote:
Tempe’s crime rate, according to the FBI, is 21 points higher than Mesa’s, 10 points higher than Phoenix’s, the two cities Tempe is “in-between.” Phoenix and Mesa also have freeways, malls, college campuses, and a wealth of visitors within their jurisdictions.
Quote:
According to the Arizona Republic’s City Comparison Guide, Tempe has nearly the same number of police officers per 10,000 residents as Phoenix, more officers than Mesa and spends more on policing than both cities.

Even with plenty of officers and funding, Tempe headlines are about the Sinaloa Drug Cartel, violence between warring street gangs, downtown crime, sex crimes and murders.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:36 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Precisely. I don't think most people are into an intense rivalry or are "passionate" about this issue. East side vs west side comments have come up VERY frequently in various discussions here over the years, but it's not the hot button issue the OP seems to think it is.

Every city forum doesn't have this poll. I'm not saying there have been polls in the past, but I am saying that it is hardly a new subject, and comes up here frequently in relocation discussions. So far, there's been nothing new in this thread, as I predicted. What's "in good fun" for you others (mostly older than you) take as a serious discussion.

To you, and some others, but it's hardly a term in general use. I've only heard it here at C-D, interestingly enough.
LOL yeah didn't realize how serious some people would take this.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Overall, east west north south, it is all about the same outside the 101. There may have been a time when one could point to one direction of the compass and declare that better or worse. Old timers like me and some of the older natives may remember that and it shapes our biases even to this day. People who follow my posts will see me bash downtown as a tumbleweed strewn deserted wasteland, for example. It once was that. But the reality is, metro Phoenix is nothing like it was 40 years ago and you just can't use the old cliches and preconceptions about it anymore.
VERY well said, from another "old timer". Thank you.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LOL yeah didn't realize how serious some people would take this.
Well, if you had started your post with the "all in good fun" that you say you meant this poll, instead of coming across as asking a serious question, perhaps the tone of the answers would have been different. East vs west posts pop up in many threads here, whether that's the specific topic or not. Other than the fact that you made it a poll (which goes against the "all in good fun" idea just a bit ) this thread is not any different than dozens of short and long discussions many of us here have had before.

Hope college is going well.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, if you had started your post with the "all in good fun" that you say you meant this poll, instead of coming across as asking a serious question, perhaps the tone of the answers would have been different. East vs west posts pop up in many threads here, whether that's the specific topic or not. Other than the fact that you made it a poll (which goes against the "all in good fun" idea just a bit ) this thread is not any different than dozens of short and long discussions many of us here have had before.

Hope college is going well.
Well it was all in good fun, but I DID wanted to see which side was more favorited, didn't realize it had been done before. I DID want to hear West Siders opinion on the valley and their neck of the woods out of curiosity and I usually just get the opinions of my fellow scottsdalers so obviously their opinions are going to be biased. College is great thx asaide from being in a city full of smog and traffic and incredibly high priced food.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,478,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Well, for me, it's the east valley. I live in east Mesa near the lakes.
That one simple phrase, "I live near the lakes" can't be said anywhere in the west valley.
I had four years to research where in the valley that I wanted to live. Honestly, I would have been happy anywhere I the valley but being close to the lakes was very important to me. I'm 20 minutes from Saguaro Lake and about 30 from Canyon Lake. When it's sizzling outside, you'll find me in the pool, in my boat or zooming around on Canyon lake on jet skis. My favorite time of year here is the summers because I use the heat to my advantage. It's not the heat that I enjoy, it's the water.
There is nothing finer than a blazing hot day on one of our beautiful desert lakes. Just heavenly to me.
Yes sir, we can.

Estrella | Lakes

And I and many other residents are a quick walk from the lakes, no 20-30 minute drive necessary.

No motor boat/jet skis, but residents here can use sail boats, canoes, kayaks. Plus we have tennis courts, basketball courts, picnic/grill areas, etc. right by/on the lake with miles of paved sidewalks around it to jog, walk, and bike.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,631,830 times
East side for me. The area east of the 17 carries Maricopa County. Most business, most people, and most attractions in the Phoenix area are east of the 17. The west side of Phoenix is a huge slum. The area from 19th Avenue all the way until at least 83rd Avenue between Van Buren and Bethany Home is off limits. That is a huge chunk of the city. Add in Tolleson, parts of Laveen, parts of Avondale and Goodyear, parts of Buckeye, El Mirage, and all of the meth communities between Surprise and Wickenburg and it's easy to see why the east comes out on top. Aside from parts of AJ, Mesa, Guadalupe, and Chandler, the east side just feels safer. EV also lucked out in that it was largely developed before the recession. The west side is full of vacant lands for development plans that never materialized and still sit empty despite this supposed "growth."

Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
2015 version: This is a rivalry for many Phoenicians and people are VERY passionate about this topic, who wins this old rivalry and why?

WEST VALLEY: Avondale, Buckeye, El Mirage, Glendale, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Peoria, Surprise, Tolleson
Youngtown, sun city, ect.

EAST VALLEY:Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Paradise Valley, Queen Creek, Scottsdale, ect.

I grew up in Scottsdale so i'm going with east valley (except for the fact that East siders can be a bit snobbish when it comes to the west side, which is a turn off).
If I had to choose between east & west, I'd say the east Valley would my pick ... however, ALL parts of the metro area have desirable areas, and some areas that don't appeal to me at all. In all honesty, I really prefer Phoenix proper, and that's how I voted. Since I live in Phoenix, I like things to be more centralized to where I don't have to commute to the east side or west side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
East side for me. The area east of the 17 carries Maricopa County. Most business, most people, and most attractions in the Phoenix area are east of the 17. The west side of Phoenix is a huge slum. The area from 19th Avenue all the way until at least 83rd Avenue between Van Buren and Bethany Home is off limits. That is a huge chunk of the city. Add in Tolleson, parts of Laveen, parts of Avondale and Goodyear, parts of Buckeye, El Mirage, and all of the meth communities between Surprise and Wickenburg and it's easy to see why the east comes out on top. Aside from parts of AJ, Mesa, Guadalupe, and Chandler, the east side just feels safer. EV also lucked out in that it was largely developed before the recession. The west side is full of vacant lands for development plans that never materialized and still sit empty despite this supposed "growth."
I'll agree to a point, but you have to admit that Arrowhead and the Sun Cities are very nice established areas which don't exactly fit the description of "huge slum" or "meth communities".

Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,478,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You apparently didn't view/skipped over the crime maps I posted up a few posts, showing all sorts of crime all around the valley pretty much distributed evenly throughout the valley, though it appears to me there's actually more crime "dots" appearing on the east side/central areas. Here they are again for you to view, just for you.

This one will get you most of the valley:

RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

This one will get you Mesa:

RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

btw...."west side is full of vacant lands" doesn't cause much crime that I'm aware of. That occurs where the most people live which the data above shows.

Aside from your obvious bias, I'd be more interested in discussing the actual crime data as outlined in the sites above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area