Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I believe there is still an upfront MIP of 1.5% on FHA loans, but it's rolled into the loan amount. The monthly is .5%, IIRC. AFAIK, the only reason anyone would care about selling to an FHA borrower is that the seller has to pay the underwriting or doc. prep. fee or something like that. It's been a while since I was in that business. I think any motivated seller would be fine with an FHA.
Correct on the 1.5% upfront and the 0.5% monthly. But, the seller no longer has to pay any of the costs. They can all be paid by the borrower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
I have thought that FHA was a good way to go because the home gets inspected by an FHA inspector before a loan is made. There can't be too many inspections on a home, in my opinion.

However, many sellers and new home builders won't sell to a FHA buyer. Also, there used to be a mandatory 1/2% MIP on FHA loans. I don't know if this is still the % because I haven't checked out FHA loans in years.

altus2006
Actually, the appraisal is done by a FHA approved appraiser. While they do check more things than a regular appraiser it is far from an inspection.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,909 times
I realize that the FHA inspector is not doing a thorough job of home inspection, but they frequently find something that had been missed by the buyers.

It used to be that a new home was inspected by a FHA inspector during every stage of completion. That would be helpful to a buyer. I don't know how many builders are selling VA or FHA now days.

I watched a Channel 12 news report on the workload for housing inspectors during the height of the building frenzy and they were sometimes in and out of their vehicles within minutes, basically doing drive-by inspections. This is why I said that adding another inspection done by the FHA could not hurt.

altus2006

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
You need to talk to your real estate agent. This 10% requirement is coming from that lender -it is not a regulatory requirement Your real estate agent should know a good mortgage broker that can help you w/o this 10% nonesense. Keep in mind your closing costs will add another 4 to 5% to the money you will be putting down.

If your real estate doesn't know any mortgage brokers then that is a sign you are dealing with someone not well connected. If that happens - get a new real estate agent.

In short you don't have to put 10% down. You are not talking to the right people.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM

59 posts, read 241,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Hootie, who did you get this letter from? I suggest that you speak with a couple of lenders. Ask your agent to give you some names of lenders that s/he is familiar with.
It's Bank of America.

I felt like they had BY FAR the best to offer of anyone. Near zero closing costs and zero PMI.

Also I don't qualify as a first time buyer because I owned a 70k house out in the midwest.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootie View Post
It's Bank of America.

I felt like they had BY FAR the best to offer of anyone. Near zero closing costs and zero PMI.

Also I don't qualify as a first time buyer because I owned a 70k house out in the midwest.
Charles is right. This is just ONE of MANY mortgage lenders. There are a million more. I have a good lender I can suggest through DM, if you're interested.

Basically, you didn't qualify for THAT loan. That DOES NOT mean you can't qualify for another one.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
I'm pretty sure the legal definition of first time buyer is someone who has not been on title for at least two years. So you could have owned a home a while back and still qualify as a first timer. I believe BoA's first time buyer program is called ACORN, or it used to be. A lot of banks that do FHA loans have what's called CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) loans, which are basically FHA loans with income limits but below market interest rates. Back in my day it was something like 80% of the area's median income. Around here in the DC area, that's a lot more than in most places. So a lot of people earn way, way too much to get a CRA loan. But AFAIK, FHA does not have such limits. And you don't have to go with a local bank for a mortgage.

The only catch I know about FHA-approved appraisers is that they have to register the appraisal when they do it. And that dollar amount becomes etched in stone for six mos. So if an appraisal comes in low, no one can get an FHA loan for more than that amount for six mos. It can be a real deal killer. Also, home inspectors are often in cahoots with realtors to make a deal close without problems. Ask me how I know. I learned the very hard way and it cost me thousands and headaches in water damage from burst polybutalene pipes. It was a very well known problem in my area and it's now the very first thing I look at when I see pipes in a utility room. But I didn't know about it when I got my first house. I paid for a home inspection and he made no mention of it, though he really knew his $hit. So he was covering for the realtor to make it happen fast. Anyone in the real estate business in an area that had those pipes knows all about this and no one mentioned it to me. Very expensive lesson learned. Find your own inspector and don't take referrals from a realtor. Make sure everyone you write a check to is working FOR YOU and no one else involved in the deal.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
You need to talk to your real estate agent. This 10% requirement is coming from that lender -it is not a regulatory requirement Your real estate agent should know a good mortgage broker that can help you w/o this 10% nonesense. Keep in mind your closing costs will add another 4 to 5% to the money you will be putting down.

If your real estate doesn't know any mortgage brokers then that is a sign you are dealing with someone not well connected. If that happens - get a new real estate agent.

In short you don't have to put 10% down. You are not talking to the right people.
It is a regulatory requirement. Did you see my post?

The declining market and the extra 5% down is coming from Fannie & Freddie not any particular lender or bank.

From their view the equity can be burnt up in a hurry in a declining market, so they want to price the loans accordingly. You can most likely still put your 5% down, but it will be considered a $0 down loan in a declining market and therefore come with a higher interest rate and possibly higher mortgage insurance.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Generally the definition of a 1st time homebuyer is someone who has not owned a primary residence in the last 3 years.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
It is a regulatory requirement. Did you see my post?

The declining market and the extra 5% down is coming from Fannie & Freddie not any particular lender or bank.

From their view the equity can be burnt up in a hurry in a declining market, so they want to price the loans accordingly. You can most likely still put your 5% down, but it will be considered a $0 down loan in a declining market and therefore come with a higher interest rate and possibly higher mortgage insurance.
Yes, the designation as a "declining market" is adding insult to injury, for sure.

Question for TimtheGuy . . . So what about purchasing a home for 5% below comps. If the appraisal supports that, would this "cover" the additional 5% down that Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac are requiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area