Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post
DayTrader 88, I agree with a lot of what you say. I lived in the Valley only 6 years back in the 1990s but did see a lot of the passive-aggressive, arrogant, and superficial attitudes you described. A lot of anger and competitiveness like you stated. Of course not everyone, but a sizable proportion. I enjoyed my time there as a whole, but felt kind of lonely by the time I left. Only met two close friends there in six years, both from the East coast like me. I also missed the rain, the ocean, and the greenery after six years. Like you said, once the novelty wears off, you get to see the true colors of the everyone and everything around you.

I did work a lot in the West Valley (like Sun City) as an RN. I found the people much more down-to-earth, laid-back, and courteous. In retirement, I would consider that part of the Valley. As long as one has the $$ and ability to travel, I think the Valley is a good home base.

Hope you locate a good place to relocate. Unfortunately a lot of the unfriendliness you describe (not acknowledging neighbors and rudeness in stores/out in public) is kind of the way of the world now, esp. in large metro areas...Why did you leave Colorado and why wasn't that a good fit? Seems like your being a single guy in your 20's, maybe Denver or Colorado Springs would be a good fit (except for the cold and being so $$$$$).
I'm not single moved here with my beautiful wife. Moved her here so all middle aged men could oogle her at the community pool (sarcasm) Loved Colorado. I loved everywhere on my list of places I lived. Colorado was just too cold for us. I still keep in touch with friends I made there and in NY. The cool part about cities like NY is people bond over the crappy parts of life. I just don't see any sense of community here, and the people I meet that I like are from the East as well. Your experience pretty much echoes mine. I don't hate AZ quite the contrary, leaving PHX metro is like a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, moving up to a cabin in the woods in Payson or Flag isn't in the cards. Not ready to live the hermit life.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It's going to be interesting when all debt-soaked Westerners karma comes back and we have another recession. The West in general, especially amongst people in their 20s and 30s is full of young families trying to live a celebrity lifestyle. A vast majority of Westerners are big spenders who demand nothing but the best and biggest, they also have huge families out here.

Las Vegas, Phoenix and Salt Lake City are basically enjoying a good economic run and the locals are trying to take as much debt as they can much like 2004. Alot of westerners are using the current economic boom as reason to take on the $200,000-300,000 expense of each additional baby. This is the land of economic optimism and any one not enjoying the current economic largesse is a loser.

I think the materialism here is hillarious myself. They are so materialistic then they have like 3 or 4 kids doesn't that reduce their superficial spending power. I have had so many roomies here which has been nice and most just work and stay at home and play video games and these are guys in their 20s and 30s.

Phoenix is just a boring city. They offer nothing compared to cities of similar size and the reality of it is that the only thing people can do keep occupied here is to have babies and buy materialistic objects.

Phoenix is a high debt city. I think the mentality of the people here is Keeping Up With The Jones under any and all circumstances even though the Jones stay at home with the curtains drawn and don't notice.

The superficiality is because the reality is Phoenix residents can't do much except shop or buy material objects. They go on about hiking but I would rather hike in Denver or Salt Lake City in foothill lushness and cool temperatures as opposed to hiking on ugly, brown hills with some scrubby stuff in extreme heat.

My favorite is when they go on about proximity to California. Interestingly you get more for your money in cities like Palmdale and Lancaster which are 45 minutes to Los Angeles then you do here. California's high cost of living is only for families and only along the coast, the interior areas are just as cheap as Phoenix.
+100000000000 cannot rep same post twice bummer

Old 03-19-2016, 01:02 PM

482 posts, read 533,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Not all Phoenicians represent the archaic "'Merica, Jesus, guns, *******s" stereotype of the poster above.
I never said they did. Learn how to read. I said it gets old listening to the types I described complaining about it.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Yes, living in a desert like environment isn't very fun.
Then why the hell did you move here? And an even better question.... Why do you stay?

Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Then why the hell did you move here? And an even better question.... Why do you stay?
Petlover, although you feel the need to justify your choice of location by angrily lashing out at someone who doesn't agree with you, I do want to thank you for reiterating the aformentioned attitude, and providing a more concrete example of the general vibe that will be encountered daily here in PHX.

Not everyone is where they are by choice. Sometimes family life and other extraneous factors may override your personal taste for the region, and cause you to suck it up and live there.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader88 View Post
Not everyone is where they are by choice. Sometimes family life and other extraneous factors may override your personal taste for the region, and cause you to suck it up and live there.
OK, I'll play. That is exactly how I felt about Chicago. I was born and raised there. I didn't choose it. I hated the weather. I hated the politics. I hated the taxes. I left just as soon as I could financially do so without anyone else's help. With that said, in the 38 years I lived there, I never once complained about it. I simply left, and never returned, and never will. My only regret was not leaving sooner. And if I could have, I would have, believe me. If people don't like Phoenix, or the desert living it provides, then I suggest they do the same, instead of sitting on the curb and whining about it.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Ouch, Chicago is the worst of both worlds. Humidity and lake effect snow, no thank you. I definitely understand liking the desert more than the upper midwest. But both coasts are far better suited for human life than the desert as evident by the concentration of humans near water vs. not. To each his own, including the right to complain.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader88 View Post
To each his own, including the right to complain.
People most definitely have a right to complain. That doesn't mean the rest of us have to listen.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:12 PM

I agree with you there!

Old 03-19-2016, 03:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
I never said they did. Learn how to read. I said it gets old listening to the types I described complaining about it.
I never said they did either. I just didn't want another reader to think that we're all the ignorant redneck type as they may get the wrong idea after reading your rant.

I will say that it gets old having people perpetuate the steroetype that you represent, so I guess we're even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area