Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:09 PM

194 posts, read 291,983 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are going to a concert at US Airways Center and are looking for restaurants downtown. We'd be eating fairly early and aren't looking for an upscale place, just a nicer place that we maybe wouldn't normally take our kids. Thinking The Arrogant Butcher and Blue Hound both seem like good picks but would love recommendations! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
My hubby and I are going to a concert at US Airways Center and are looking for restaurants downtown. We'd be eating fairly early and aren't looking for an upscale place, just a nicer place that we maybe wouldn't normally take our kids. Thinking The Arrogant Butcher and Blue Hound both seem like good picks but would love recommendations! Thanks!
Arrogant Butcher and Blue Hound are both good choices. Here are a few more, all within walking distance of USAC / Talking Stick:
  • Nobuo at Teeter House -- Japanese tavern-style food -- not so much sushi, but instead cooked small plates that can fit together into a very nice dinner
  • Squid Ink Sushi -- very different from Nobuo with sushi, sashimi, and some Asian fusion dishes
  • Pizzeria Bianco -- the legend that put Phoenix on the pizza map
  • Hanny's -- classic cocktails, pizzas, salad, and sandwiches
  • La Piazza PHX -- authentic VPN-certified pizza with antipasto and salads
  • Bitter & Twisted -- upscale cocktail place with excellent bar food to match
  • District -- in the ground floor of the Downtown Sheraton with an emphasis on local ingredients

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
The Hard Rock, it's right across the street from US Airways Center, or what's now called Talking Stick Arena.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions exit2lef, those all sound great.

Our kids love Hard Rock so don't think that'll work for this particular night, thanks though!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,291 times
Try Blue Hound at the Palomar Hotel! It's right across the street also and has a good happy hour menu. I second Bitter & Twisted too though. I LOVE THAT PLACE!

Old 10-06-2015, 03:32 PM

837 posts, read 2,335,110 times
Is KinKaids still open?

Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cadillac_Lawyer View Post
Is KinKaids still open?
No, closed in July.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
I can recommend Blue Hound Kitchen, Arrogant Butcher, Pizzeria Bianco, Hanny's and Bitter and Twisted.

I'm not a fan of La Piazza PHX. If you want AVPN-certified pizza, go to Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana 7 blocks north of La Piazza PHX, also on 1st St. Better food, better atmosphere.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Pbenjamin I completely agree about Pomo. I haven't tried the other recommendation, but I have been to Italy (hence my name) and Pomo is about as authentic as you can get. It's hard for me to try other pizza places in the valley I love it so!
I think we'll try Blue Hound or Bitter and Twisted, then go to our concert and I was thinking of hitting District Kitchen for their reverse happy hour afterwards, before heading back to reality with 3 kids!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Although I don't share in the antipathy toward La Piazza PHX, I'm also a fan of Pomo. In fact, it's a great strength of Downtown Phoenix that so many good pizzerias are within its boundaries: Bianco, Cibo, La Piazza PHX, Pomo, and the newest arrival, Forno 301. Nevertheless, I didn't initially recommend Pomo because it might be considered a bit too far to walk from there to USAC / Talking Stick, depending of course on the weather and a person's fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area