Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:53 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

A question on topic. If someone is born and raised in PHX and decides to leave the 100+ degree summers, are they considered "snowbirds" to Phoenicians ? If so, do the small subset of (mostly transplants) local hates when they come back to their own state and decide to use the restaurants, roads and use the parks? It's philosophical question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
A question on topic. If someone is born and raised in PHX and decides to leave the 100+ degree summers, are they considered "snowbirds" to Phoenicians ? If so, do the small subset of (mostly transplants) local hates when they come back to their own state and decide to use the restaurants, roads and use the parks? It's philosophical question.
I believe Valley Native used the term Sunbirds and I think you're taking yourself too seriously

Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I believe Valley Native used the term Sunbirds and I think you're taking yourself too seriously
It seems that Sunbird is an accurate phrase coined by others. In another sand state, FL categorizes people as snowbirds, sunbirds, and "stayers". With a flip of a licence plate and a tax statement, I can become a "Sunbird". If I want to roast for 4 months and live hear full time, I'd be a stayer. I find the nomenclature interesting as well as the associated stereotype.

https://www.bebr.ufl.edu/sites/defau...er%20Migr).pdf

Old 12-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It seems that Sunbird is an accurate phrase coined by others. In another sand state, FL categorizes people as snowbirds, sunbirds, and "stayers". With a flip of a licence plate and a tax statement, I can become a "Sunbird". If I want to roast for 4 months and live hear full time, I'd be a stayer. I find the nomenclature interesting as well as the associated stereotype.

IDK if stereotype is the word I'd associate w/ this study, but it does confirm common sense. Not sure if I like the term stayer, it implies they're staying at their own detriment. The weather isn't why I live here. I actually like the Summer, less people, I'm pretty durable and like to hike so less hikers are nice, water sports, and day trips. The winter is actually one of my least favorite seasons, pollution inversion layer, traffic, tourists and that thing you don't like people complaining about, and everything gets more expensive.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
IDK if stereotype is the word I'd associate w/ this study, but it does confirm common sense. Not sure if I like the term stayer, it implies they're staying at their own detriment. The weather isn't why I live here. I actually like the Summer, less people, I'm pretty durable and like to hike so less hikers are nice, water sports, and day trips. The winter is actually one of my least favorite seasons, pollution inversion layer, traffic, tourists and that thing you don't like people complaining about, and everything gets more expensive.
I also know people who claim they LOVE the cold, snowy winters. There are always trade-offs. Even if you lived in Minot North Dakota (YUCK) there are positives. They are in the severe minority but whatever floats their boat.

I am NOT saying you do this, but people rationalize their decisions when they don't have options. So given a choice of living of what most think is an ideal weather location people will. It is human nature for people to point to the positives which is rational as to why it isn't all that bad.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I also know people who claim they LOVE the cold, snowy winters. There are always trade-offs. Even if you lived in Minot North Dakota (YUCK) there are positives. They are in the severe minority but whatever floats their boat.

I am NOT saying you do this, but people rationalize their decisions when they don't have options. So given a choice of living of what most think is an ideal weather location people will. It is human nature for people to point to the positives which is rational as to why it isn't all that bad.
I travel a lot so my options do exist, but given the income disparity (in FL at least, I imagine its pretty similar here given the low wages that most people live on) your post makes sense in that regard. But for some people summer can be nice, especially if you grew up here (I did a lot of school so summer means less reponsibility, even though its not true it still feels that way). For the reasons mentioned above, and especially for those of us who have cabins and whatnot. Plus when I'm in Denver you should see my desert body shiver when everybody else is wearing short sleeves.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:

Roast, man, ROAST! Commit and become a full-year, full-blown Arizonan! No more back & forth snowbirding! C'mon, MN, get it done!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Cant anyone tell me how do the snowbirds come to AZ and stay up for 6 months all while having a job and other responsibilities?

Are most of them retired?

Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Cant anyone tell me how do the snowbirds come to AZ and stay up for 6 months all while having a job and other responsibilities?

Yes. Snowbirds are usually of the salt variety if you catch my drift.

Some (a few I suppose) might work remotely.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 PM

498 posts, read 543,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post

I'm 50 next week, not retired neither is my wife. We go back and forth during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area