Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times

Advertisements

My doorbell broke last year, and it was impossible to figure out where the wiring went - the handyman couldn't find the transformer - so I was advised to get an inexpensive kit that just screws in, and in some way I don't understand, rings wirelessly.

Now I just had a worrisome experience where twice, my doorbell was rung late at night, once around 11pm and one night at 1am. The second time I freaked out, imagining someone was about to break in. A friend told me, though, that wireless doorbells can be set off by something else, and although I was very skeptical, it turns out that this was correct.

So maybe I should instead be asking if anyone knows a cheap electrician who covers the Scottsdale area? I was wondering if maybe my handyman just wasn't competent to find the transformer, but the few electricians I called were outrageously expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM

784 posts, read 923,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
My doorbell broke last year, and it was impossible to figure out where the wiring went - the handyman couldn't find the transformer - so I was advised to get an inexpensive kit that just screws in, and in some way I don't understand, rings wirelessly.

Now I just had a worrisome experience where twice, my doorbell was rung late at night, once around 11pm and one night at 1am. The second time I freaked out, imagining someone was about to break in. A friend told me, though, that wireless doorbells can be set off by something else, and although I was very skeptical, it turns out that this was correct.

So maybe I should instead be asking if anyone knows a cheap electrician who covers the Scottsdale area? I was wondering if maybe my handyman just wasn't competent to find the transformer, but the few electricians I called were outrageously expensive.
A lot of door bell transformers are located within the main electrical panel....if yours has a cover that you can remove you can take a peek behind it.....since you aren't a electrician you should shut off your main before you do.

There are some really good videos on youtube as well.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
A lot of door bell transformers are located within the main electrical panel....if yours has a cover that you can remove you can take a peek behind it.....since you aren't a electrician you should shut off your main before you do.

There are some really good videos on youtube as well.
if you take the cover off the main panel, there is still live electricity there, even if the "main" breaker is off. If the o.p. isn't comfortable diagnosing a doorbell, peeking into a main breaker box is orders of magnitude more risky. A trained electrician might cost $150 for the first hour, but they're more likely to *find* and properly fix it in that hour, rather than chasing their tails for multiple hours at a lower rate, or just busting up your walls & installing a whole new (wired) setup.

For some reason I don't pretend to understand, my doorbell transformer is right next to my water heater & I've seen a couple others like that in Phoenix - though if you don't know what your looking for (or at), it might as well be on the moon.

One thing you might try as well is just asking a few neighbors if they've had a doorbell problem. Just like cars, houses here are mass produced & built with parts that often fail at about the same rate. Many of my neighbors have clogged dryer vents, due to how they were routed. The main water supply pipes in my brother's neighborhood all started leaking a couple years ago & I've watched plumbers work their way down the street replacing them (everybody there is going to have a failure if they haven't already) - same materials, buried at the same depth by the same crews & exposed to the same pressure.

Last edited by Zippyman; 10-20-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 PM

391 posts, read 788,238 times
Zippyman has a good idea about asking a Neighbor if they know where their transformer is. I like that.

And it's prob a good idea to have an electrician. Your transformer may be working and the problem could be in the chime or the doorbell.

And it may be easier to just wire a new system depending on how complex your requirements are and how hard the wiring would be.

My neighbour's doorbell quit and for some reason he took out the chime where all the wires for two doorbells and three other chimes and the transformer terminated. Never took a picture first. He called an electrician who said it could take him hours to trace all the wires.

I spent a couple hours at least with my Neighbor tracing wires (used a volt meter) and it turned out the transformer was good and it was his front doorbell!!!! A two minute fix!!!

I would have hated to pay an electrician for that kind of grunt work.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 AM

498 posts, read 543,583 times
remove the button/switch at the front door.. grab the two wires and touch them together.. if it rings then you know it's just the button that needs replacing... don't worry about the electricity as it's very low current in a doorbell.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Mine is by the water heater. It has been by the water heater in every house I have owned here. Look by the water heater. You might get lucky.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Try a wireless one you can plug and play and put the dinger anywhere in the house you want.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
remove the button/switch at the front door.. grab the two wires and touch them together.. if it rings then you know it's just the button that needs replacing... don't worry about the electricity as it's very low current in a doorbell.
That's correct. The wattage is approximately 5 watts maximum; about the same as land line telephones.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Mine is by the water heater. It has been by the water heater in every house I have owned here. Look by the water heater. You might get lucky.
Agree, Ponderosa . . . another "hiding place" is high up inside a utility and/or linen closet.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM

784 posts, read 923,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
if you take the cover off the main panel, there is still live electricity there, even if the "main" breaker is off. .
Well that is a given...but it does greatly reduce the risk of getting shocked......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area