Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 PM

108 posts, read 362,156 times

Advertisements

I know air is a must in AZ.

I have seen a lot of apartments advertise " central air ". Not sure how

this works, does this mean the resident has no control over the AC?

I would like to be able to control mine.

If I had a couple of AC's, say in the living room and Bedroom, would'nt
it be feasible to leave them off while at work? And maybe during sleep only run the bedroom?

I know these questions sound simple, but I have not lived in a desert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Whatever you do, just make sure it's real air-conditioning and not evaporative cooling.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This gets more first timers than anything. My first summer was in an apartment with a swamp cooler. Although I did lose a lot of weight that first summer.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Central air just means air conditioning. It doesn't mean a central unit for the whole complex, just a central unit for your own apartments, not individual units in each room like you might see in older buildings where A/C was retrofitted later.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
Central air is a thermostat in your apt and many vents in each room. You set the thermostat at the temp you want and the entire place is kept at that temp. No window units in apartments here for the most part.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
ji603 confirmed:

> Central air is a thermostat in your apt and many vents in each room.
> ... entire place is kept at that temp.

but BobLeeVegas asked:

> ... AC's, ... would'nt it be feasible to leave them off while at work?

Yes, it would be feasible and smart.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
The best thing would be to have a programmable thermostat so you could have the AC turn on say 30 minutes before you got home and cool the place down, they aren't very expensive ($50?) and easy to install.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM

88 posts, read 482,589 times
My son purchased a programmable thermostate as suggested above. He also purchased a ceiling fan with the light fixture to replace the existing light fixture in the dinette/kitchen area. Of course, he has stored that light fixture and will put it back in before he moves.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
HX_Guy suggested and added:

> The best thing would be to have a programmable thermostat ....

With a programmable thermostat and Time-of-Use billing, you can really maximize your savings.

In a house, you can practically freeze your house up right to when the billing rate changes and let the system 'coast' from there.

In an apartment, that won't work very well, but at least, you can come home to a pre-cooled apartment.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:33 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,420 times
Question Swamp Coolers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Whatever you do, just make sure it's real air-conditioning and not evaporative cooling.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This gets more first timers than anything. My first summer was in an apartment with a swamp cooler. Although I did lose a lot of weight that first summer.

What is the deal with the Swamp coolers? I stayed at a very nice home that had a swamp cooler AND central air. I was there during June and we never turned the air on and it was perfect. Yet I hear all kinds of bad stories about them. What gives?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
What is the deal with the Swamp coolers? I stayed at a very nice home that had a swamp cooler AND central air. I was there during June and we never turned the air on and it was perfect. Yet I hear all kinds of bad stories about them. What gives?
I think that would be ideal to have both. The swamp cooler works fine when humidity is low. The problem with them is they don't work well when the humidity gets high during July and especially August. That's because they work by introducing cool and moist air into the environment and since the air is already moist because of the high humidity, they don't work. So the air-conditioning is really only neccessary about two months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area