Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

233 posts, read 258,223 times

Advertisements

Arizona Coyotes exploring Coliseum as temporary home

Coyotes looking to play at the Coliseum temporarily

Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAZ View Post
Arizona Coyotes exploring Coliseum as temporary home

Coyotes looking to play at the Coliseum temporarily

Old 12-14-2015, 10:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Loved the old Roadrunners, and the location would be fine, but playing in VMC would cost a lot of money up front for renovation. The icemaking equipment is no longer there, for one thing.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Their days have been numbered since 2009 and they're still here. If the NHL really wanted to move them, they would have been long gone. They aren't going anywhere soon. A move downtown or to the east side will cement that.
So long as they find another Sugar Daddy that is willing to subsidize them, they will be here. In a flexing match where AZ says pony-up more of your own $$'s, they will be hightailing out of here.

So yes. A downtown or East side Sugar Daddy (the tax payers of course) will "cement it" for another round of howling.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 AM

233 posts, read 258,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So long as they find another Sugar Daddy that is willing to subsidize them, they will be here. In a flexing match where AZ says pony-up more of your own $$'s, they will be hightailing out of here.

So yes. A downtown or East side Sugar Daddy (the tax payers of course) will "cement it" for another round of howling.
You act as though subsidizing sports is only something that happens in AZ. Good luck finding very many 100 percent, privately-financed major sports arena across the country. Where are they going to go? Las Vegas and Quebec City are lined up for expansion. Seattle is still a pipe dream at this point. Everyone mentions KC, but it's always just been "talk."

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You act as though subsidizing sports is only something that happens in AZ. Good luck finding very many privately-financed major sports arena across the country. Where are they going to go? Las Vegas and Quebec City are lined up for expansion. Seattle is still a pipe dream at this point. Everyone mentions KC, but it's always just been "talk."
And since it is going to happen regardless of what witty posts one might make, it would seem pragmatic to have a joint stadium. Subsidize 1 place for multiple teams=savings.

Still want the Suns/Mercury/Coyotes. It would allow me to even go to a Coyotes game (something I miss dearly), and it would split management costs among 3 franchises of varying success instead of building an expensive stadium in the farmlands on the hopes and dreams of growth and 200 concerts a year

Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
And since it is going to happen regardless of what witty posts one might make, it would seem pragmatic to have a joint stadium. Subsidize 1 place for multiple teams=savings.

Still want the Suns/Mercury/Coyotes. It would allow me to even go to a Coyotes game (something I miss dearly), and it would split management costs among 3 franchises of varying success instead of building an expensive stadium in the farmlands on the hopes and dreams of growth and 200 concerts a year
While your approach makes a ton of sense, don't count on it. We are in an era where everyone wants their own stadium or they will take their marbles and leave.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You act as though subsidizing sports is only something that happens in AZ. Good luck finding very many 100 percent, privately-financed major sports arena across the country. Where are they going to go? Las Vegas and Quebec City are lined up for expansion. Seattle is still a pipe dream at this point. Everyone mentions KC, but it's always just been "talk."
I wasn't thinking that.

My point was Glendale got screwed. It was a bad business decision mostly because they assumed hockey would be a bigger draw. Hence my comment. They need another fiscally inept Sugar Daddy that has the same (highly probable) unrealistic dream. Bad business decisions happen more often when you are spending someone else's money a.k.a. the taxpayer. It's why the franchise owners partners with dimwit financial types; politicians who more-often-than not have never run a business. So all around the country, these p_ss-poor business decisions are made. It's why the ONLY way it financially works is to find someone else to spend other peoples money.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM

586 posts, read 541,894 times
The Glendale situation turned real bad when something major happened around 08, you might remember the recession when plenty of people lost their jobs, their homes, and development basically stalled. believe I have seen you write about getting a great deal on a house around that time. Westgate is starting to turn into what was planned for 10 years ago but alas it's too little too late for the Coyotes in Glendale. It's nowhere near as simple as not enough fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I wasn't thinking that.

My point was Glendale got screwed. It was a bad business decision mostly because they assumed hockey would be a bigger draw. Hence my comment. They need another fiscally inept Sugar Daddy that has the same (highly probable) unrealistic dream. Bad business decisions happen more often when you are spending someone else's money a.k.a. the taxpayer. It's why the franchise owners partners with dimwit financial types; politicians who more-often-than not have never run a business. So all around the country, these p_ss-poor business decisions are made. It's why the ONLY way it financially works is to find someone else to spend other peoples money.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The Glendale situation turned real bad when something major happened around 08, you might remember the recession when plenty of people lost their jobs, their homes, and development basically stalled. believe I have seen you write about getting a great deal on a house around that time. Westgate is starting to turn into what was planned for 10 years ago but alas it's too little too late for the Coyotes in Glendale. It's nowhere near as simple as not enough fans.
Or the isolation from 2/3 of the city. 1.5hrs driving into the sun in gridlock to watch a team lose at Hockey doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area