Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,721 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to become snowbirds. We live in eastern Kansas and would like to spend from 1-3 months starting around January each year, in a warmer area. We were thinking Phoenix or South.
We have several questions:
We are looking for better sites to find potential rentals for this period. Any suggestions?
Would like to keep our monthly rental expense around 1200 a month all inclusive. Will this get us in a nice area?
We would also like to hear from some couples who are doing this and how they like it if anyone would care to provide some input.

Thanks mh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,950,602 times
Have a look at vrbo.com and airbnb.com and craigslist. But I believe that your budget is VERY low for a short term furnished rental.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Just curious, how did you pick South Phoenix? At the price you selected and the area you've chosen you might need to be careful for safety, there can be some sketchy parts of South Phoenix, especially if you're bargain hunting and don't know the area well.

If there's no particular reason you need to be in South Phoenix then my next question would be how close to the city do you need to be? If you are strictly coming out for the weather, go further out and you'll probably get closer or be able to hit your budget, East Mesa is full of 55+ communities that seem very snowbird centric and very budget oriented. Leisure World comes to mind but I'm sure there are others. Living closer in is getting quite pricey in Phoenix, as the urban nodes of Phoenix have become more gentrified and development increased so has the rents...

Old 12-12-2015, 03:05 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,612,841 times
I'm thinking the OP means south of Phoenix, not specifically "south Phoenix".

OP Google Sun Lakes, Arizona. It is south of Chandler. You should be able to find plenty of rentals. There are many mobile homes within that community as well.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:21 PM

772 posts, read 841,580 times
OP you may want to throw South Phoenix into google, because I bet you know nothing about the area.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,721 times
I'm sorry, yes I did mean south of phoenix. We have driven through several years ago but are not familiar with the area at all. We may go as far south as Tucson if we can find a good area.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:15 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,383,237 times
Do some rental searches in Maricopa and Casa Grande. These are towns that exploded during the boom and then busted leaving some good deals on homes and rentals. They are south of the Phoenix metro area but both offer plenty in terms of shopping and other suburban type amenities.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,251,477 times
Most rentals book up way ahead of the rental time, like almost a year in advance. Your budget is low but might get you an apartment or mobile home.

Remember the people who rent out for the winter probably carry the place empty the rest of the year so the income they get has to be workable for them.

You've been given all the good sites to check already but other than that you can call mobile homes. I met a woman on the plane once who came down and rented in Citrus Grove Mobile Home Park, I think she said in Mesa! I also met some people in British Columbia who rented an RV in Yuma for much less than that.

Come back when you find a place and check the area here with locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area