Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
A resident of what is supposed to be a Conservative enclave in CA, I found my interactions in PHX last weekend markedly more Conservative than what I'm accustomed to locally. FWIW/YMMV
Anything is god, guns, and bibles compared to California.

Phoenix has liberal enclaves, as does Arizona but its not even to a close level as California.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Phoenix has liberal enclaves, as does Arizona but its not even to a close level as California.
I've made quite a few comparisons to Colorado and Arizona cities from tons of reading and research. I'll make the adjustment once I move down here in a few months.

Tucson = Colorado Springs both polar opposites on political spectrum
Mesa = Aurora
Gilbert = Centennial
Peoria = Thornton/Northglenn
Chandler = Broomfield
Tempe = Englewood
Queen Creek = Parker
Scottsdale = Westminster
Flagstaff = Pueblo

Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I've made quite a few comparisons to Colorado and Arizona cities from tons of reading and research. I'll make the adjustment once I move down here in a few months.

Tucson = Colorado Springs both polar opposites on political spectrum
Mesa = Aurora
Gilbert = Centennial
Peoria = Thornton/Northglenn
Chandler = Broomfield
Tempe = Englewood
Queen Creek = Parker
Scottsdale = Westminster
Flagstaff = Pueblo
These aren't bad actually. I'd probably remove the Tempe-Englewood, it's not quite Boulder, I'd say its more like cross of that and where DU is.
I see your point on Co Springs and Tucson (no freeways, similar size, second fiddle)
I'd put Flagstaff with Ft. Collins.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM

133 posts, read 148,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

In CA, you meet convervatives, and you'll agree on everything but often have to speak in hushed voices.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
And not only all that but is gets really really hot in the summer and the whole place is invested with rattlesnakes, scorpions and Californians. You are better off moving to Oregon.

(Originally from California; transplanted in 1990)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:21 PM

27 posts, read 72,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I can't speak to your employer but I can't say this is true for mine. I'm regularly on interview panels and we've had stellar applicants every time we're looking.
I loved all your responses thank you. It gave me so much more confidence as to why we want to move to AZ. Looking for jobs if you might have any ideas or recommendations?locolife

Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
For the OP's complaint about water and those that have commented since...

Why don't you just get an under sink Reverse Osmosis system or have bottled water delivered? A RO system at Costco costs around $150 and you'll have ALL the great drinking water you can use. I pay $29/month for four five gallon bottles of spring water delivered to my house each month.

I guess it is easier to complain then get a simple solution to the problem?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arae30 View Post
I loved all your responses thank you. It gave me so much more confidence as to why we want to move to AZ. Looking for jobs if you might have any ideas or recommendations?locolife
Sure thing! One of the reasons I get on city data is because I've used it a lot myself in several moves I've made across the country and I found that there is an unbelievable amount of biased opinions and unsubstantiated claims about any city I've done research on. But if you do a little digging, take a few trips and understand that it's going to be different than your former place or residence you might just discover some amazing things. But not everyone is open minded and that can make for an ugly situation when they relocate, I saw this so much in New England, which compared to moving to Phoenix is a juggernaut for making friends, finding jobs, renting an apartment etc...

I'll help if I can, I know a handful of recruiters because I once worked in the field. I'm not a recruiter now but I do keep an eye on the job market, mostly for friends looking torelocate here. What industry are you in and/or looking for here?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
For the OP's complaint about water and those that have commented since...

Why don't you just get an under sink Reverse Osmosis system or have bottled water delivered? A RO system at Costco costs around $150 and you'll have ALL the great drinking water you can use. I pay $29/month for four five gallon bottles of spring water delivered to my house each month.

I guess it is easier to complain then get a simple solution to the problem?
Yeah, I totally agree. It's a super easy problem to solve. When I was in an apartment my gf used a brita filter on the tap that she refilled empty gallon jugs with.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. It's a super easy problem to solve. When I was in an apartment my gf used a brita filter on the tap that she refilled empty gallon jugs with.
I do this and agree but, just for another perspective - water bills here aren't cheap in the first place. I pay a month what I used to pay every 3 on the east coast for water. If someone is going through some sort of financial difficulty, those extra costs can put a strain on them. Personally, if I was having financial difficulties, I would not mess around with cutting costs in that area of my life, just from a health perspective for my dogs. Other people might want to be made aware of it as well.

It's something that a lot of people, especially new people to the area, might not be aware of as a whole. I certainly had no idea just how much of a difference it was going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area