Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously contemplating leaving CA after six decades and have a few questions about buying a condo in Phoenix or any nearby suburb.

1)-----I would definitely become a regular at the new Camelview 14 at Scottsdale Fashion Square since I do see a lot of 'art-house films' every year, so recommendations on any safe areas within 20 minutes or so of those theatres would be appreciated.

2)---My budget for a condo would be $125k or less, so any suggestions on where to find condos in that price range in a safe area/suburb would be appreciated.
'
3)---I've read multiple times on this board that Chandler is a very nice suburb, and as a single African-American baby-boomer, it sounds like a very nice and safe place to live as well as being only 20 minutes from the airport. Is that pretty accurate?

4)----There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on Mesa; Money magazine recently declared it to be among the top 5 major big cities in the US in their annual 'Best Places To Live' issue, but numerous folks on this board have stated that it isn't as safe as it used to be, and the closing of the Macy's at the Fiesta Mall certainly shot a hole in the city's tax base, so any opinions on Mesa or any other suburb would be more than welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:01 PM

133 posts, read 148,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I'm seriously contemplating leaving CA after six decades and have a few questions about buying a condo in Phoenix or any nearby suburb.

1)-----I would definitely become a regular at the new Camelview 14 at Scottsdale Fashion Square since I do see a lot of 'art-house films' every year, so recommendations on any safe areas within 20 minutes or so of those theatres would be appreciated.

2)---My budget for a condo would be $125k or less, so any suggestions on where to find condos in that price range in a safe area/suburb would be appreciated.
'
3)---I've read multiple times on this board that Chandler is a very nice suburb, and as a single African-American baby-boomer, it sounds like a very nice and safe place to live as well as being only 20 minutes from the airport. Is that pretty accurate?

4)----There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on Mesa; Money magazine recently declared it to be among the top 5 major big cities in the US in their annual 'Best Places To Live' issue, but numerous folks on this board have stated that it isn't as safe as it used to be, and the closing of the Macy's at the Fiesta Mall certainly shot a hole in the city's tax base, so any opinions on Mesa or any other suburb would be more than welcome.

Thanks!
As a future rather than current resident, I have little to offer, except for these two points:

1. Check out this very website for the demographic information it can give you. You can search using color-coded maps for any demographic, including income, education level, size of families, and so on, and it will help give you a feel for what kinds of people live in the various areas.
  2. After using these tools, and after reading responses to your post, take a trip, at least a couple of days, and drive around all of the neighborhoods that interest you. You will probably find significant differences between each city, and sometimes each part of a city, which cannot be revealed by the data. For example, some areas are newer than others. The properties in newer areas may be in better shape, but they lack the mature trees that older areas of town have. Some cities (I'm talking about you, Tempe) are a mass of north-south / east-west grids with traffic lights at irritatingly consistent intervals. And so on.
Good luck to you!

Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

'

Thanks!
You might be able to find a condo in Downtown/South Scottsdale in your price range. Or maybe, East Phoenix. I wouldn't live in Mesa or Chandler if it was free.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 PM

27 posts, read 72,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
You might be able to find a condo in Downtown/South Scottsdale in your price range. Or maybe, East Phoenix. I wouldn't live in Mesa or Chandler if it was free.
Why wouldn't you live in Chandler?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arae30 View Post
Why wouldn't you live in Chandler?
Why? First, it's not necessary. Plus, there's certain things I just won't do. I wouldn't live in either Mesa or Chandler if I had my pick of any house in the city for free and a $10K a month allowance. Life is too short.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Why? First, it's not necessary. Plus, there's certain things I just won't do. I wouldn't live in either Mesa or Chandler if I had my pick of any house in the city for free and a $10K a month allowance. Life is too short.

You are still not explaining why you feel that strongly, but the OP can come look around and has to decide for himself, so I guess it doesn't matter. There are parts of Mesa I would not choose to live in, and a small part of Chandler, I suppose, but I can walk into Chandler from my Tempe house in a matter of minutes, and I could live in that nearby area, and most of the rest of Chandler, as happily as I do here.

To the OP--Chandler's a bit more than 20 minutes from the new Camelview, but north Chandler, near the 101 freeway, wouldn't be that much farther. Do some looking around on the real estate websites narrowing your search to condos in your price range in the various cities and get an idea for what you can get.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You are still not explaining why you feel that strongly, but the OP can come look around and has to decide for himself, so I guess it doesn't matter. There are parts of Mesa I would not choose to live in, and a small part of Chandler, I suppose, but I can walk into Chandler from my Tempe house in a matter of minutes, and I could live in that nearby area, and most of the rest of Chandler, as happily as I do here.

To the OP--Chandler's a bit more than 20 minutes from the new Camelview, but north Chandler, near the 101 freeway, wouldn't be that much farther. Do some looking around on the real estate websites narrowing your search to condos in your price range in the various cities and get an idea for what you can get.
I guessed mostly that I wouldn't want to live so far out. I'm used to living in Phoenix and Scottsdale. Going all the way out to Mesa or Chandler just seems like unnecessary driving. Plus, I like Phoenix and Scottsdale better.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Quote:
And I wouldn't for the live of me live in urban Phoenix. Than again I desire life in BFE.... Different people want different things but a city person who loves the valley butdon't like Chandler is confusing to me. You should check out the place more often. Mesa OTOH I won't defend. It's either ghetto, gentrifying or mormontown depending on where you go.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
For your price range I would recommend West Mesa. The Alma School and Dobsom corridors have condos in that range still and would put you within a couple miles of the 101 (whether your on ramp be Southern, Broadway, Main or University/ Rio Solado.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:29 PM

125 posts, read 106,097 times
If you're going to buy a condo, I'd opt for somewhere in the city or downtown Scottsdale, if you can find one in your price range. My understanding is that condos don't appreciate as well as houses, so location is going to be particularly important. I'd think a condo in Mesa or Chandler wouldn't be a very good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area