Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Their GO, PACK, GO! bumper stickers are a dead give-away.
Is it just me or is it weird that fans of other teams get so excited about being in another team's town? Doesn't that mean that so many people have chose to leave your "home-town" that there is a large following in another, more desirable place? And is that really something to celebrate and be all excited about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Is it just me or is it weird that fans of other teams get so excited about being in another team's town? Doesn't that mean that so many people have chose to leave your "home-town" that there is a large following in another, more desirable place? And is that really something to celebrate and be all excited about?
It basically means that Arizona is an incredibly desirable place to live, but transplants will always be sentimentally attached to their teams from somewhere else.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Of that geography is a simply a lazy way to pick your entertainment

Because that is what sports are - entertainment

As for the list, seems a bit dated - but whatever.

I'd say the easiest way is to look left, then look right and figure that a high percentage of anyone you looked at are transplants

Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
People have only started moving Downtown in the last 10-15 years. And it's mostly transplants living down there. Established Phoenicians already have homes in the surrounding metro area.

Also have a beer and lighten up
WAY TO GO, Phenomenon . . .

In response to the "Poop Heads" . . . "IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN."

Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times
I've never understood the whole "I'm native and therefore better than you" attitude. Congratulations, you've managed to live in the same place your entire life which is quite an accomplishment. This isn't just a phoenix thing I might add.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
I thought the forum could use a light-hearted thread so chill out and don't take this one so seriously

Phoenix has become home to many transplants in recent years due to the cheap housing and pleasant climate. But it's always easy to spot them in a crowd of natives. Some giveaways include:
  • They call the I-17 the Black Canyon Freeway
  • They call Squaw peak Piestewa Peak
  • They go to AMC instead of Harkins
  • They go hiking in the middle of the day in the Summer
  • They wear shorts and tshirts outside in January
  • They wear $200 North Face hiking boots and carry trekking poles to climb North Mountain
  • They think In-N-Out is the best burger in town
  • They think people actually live Downtown
Add your own No boring bickering please.
Thats when I prefer to hike, actually. No crowds, up front parking, no flabby snowbirds being rude, and best of all.... dead silence.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
We do go to AMC, but it's only because nowhere else has the one-of-a-kind nearly 50-year-old Winchester Theaters (Century 21, Century 22, Century 23) that we had in San Jose (adjacent to the Winchester Mystery House). They recently got torn down to build another stupid big outdoor mall exactly like the big outdoor mall already across the street from it.

That said, we read up on Harkins and plan on going there instead. A tad more expensive for the matinee times, but overall it seems like a much better place to support. I've got a voucher for the yearly cup and I'm going to get a shirt for the free popcorn when I go!

As for teams, I do wear my SF Giants apparel, but I thought it'd be neat to get a split SF/AZ sweatshirt or hat like the bay area has for Giants/A's. Gotta support our native-hometown town, but want to show a bit of support for our new-hometown team too!

Also, it's weird having a 101, 87, and 17 here because we have all of those back home. Although granted, 87 here isn't actually a freeway.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Harkins wins our business due to the cup/shirt and their summer movie program for kids - my wife takes the kids most weeks with that and it's a great deal

Before kids, we typically go to the AMC as it was the nicest one in the area and we'd typically hit the weekend before noon shows - especially in the summer - which would only cost $5

Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
Quote:
I thought the forum could use a light-hearted thread so chill out and don't take this one so seriously

Phoenix has become home to many transplants in recent years due to the cheap housing and pleasant climate. But it's always easy to spot them in a crowd of natives. Some giveaways include:
  • They call the I-17 the Black Canyon Freeway
  • They call Squaw peak Piestewa Peak
  • They go to AMC instead of Harkins
  • They go hiking in the middle of the day in the Summer
  • They wear shorts and tshirts outside in January
  • They wear $200 North Face hiking boots and carry trekking poles to climb North Mountain
  • They think In-N-Out is the best burger in town
  • They think people actually live Downtown

Add your own No boring bickering please.
They have good skin.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
I second the sunburn thing...hardly ever see any full time residents turn up with a sunburn here. I haven't had one in years. I guess the same would be true in any beach town or Hawaii or Florida etc.

I also agree about the out-of-town sports team stickers, that is often but not always a giveaway as well. On a related noted, I don't mind people rooting for whatever team they like, but don't be a jerk about it. That goes for any city in the country. I'll never understand people who use sports as a reason to be rude or confrontational or act like the team that they root for in any way makes them any better or different than anyone else in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area