Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
As an example, VN... I'm guessing it's extremely difficult for Wisconsin newbies to totally embrace the Cardinals when they have so much deeply ingrained love for their (Go, Pack, Go!) Packers. Etc. Et al. They choose to live here, but are unable to get totally excited about Arizona sports. Yet. If ever. It would be like being traitorous to a life they've always known.
I think of them as traitors, and it goes beyond sports. Usually these types were so anxious to leave Wisconsin or wherever else because they could no longer stand the winters, so they moved to Phoenix for the sunshine ... which is a ridiculous reason to uproot, leave one's job, and even one's family. So they claim to love the weather here in the fall/winter/spring, and claim to be able to tolerate the summers, but they often gripe about everything else: the traffic, the drivers, the schools, the culture, and our sports teams to name a few.

They long for their utopia where they can have weather like Phoenix's but still be back home where they originated from. So they live here and are happy when the sun shines, but are miserable otherwise. You'll find them in the sports bars rooting for their Packers or Steelers, but try striking up a conversation about Arizona sports teams, and they'll have a clueless expression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM

189 posts, read 230,932 times
And the saga continues....

Judge: Diamondbacks must solve stadium dispute with Maricopa County

Looks like both sides claiming a victory but hoping we get some sort of decision by year's end. I hope arbitration becomes public...sounds like County is trying to hide some things. Anyways, here's to a quick resolution.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I think of them as traitors, and it goes beyond sports. Usually these types were so anxious to leave Wisconsin or wherever else because they could no longer stand the winters, so they moved to Phoenix for the sunshine ... which is a ridiculous reason to uproot, leave one's job, and even one's family. So they claim to love the weather here in the fall/winter/spring, and claim to be able to tolerate the summers, but they often gripe about everything else: the traffic, the drivers, the schools, the culture, and our sports teams to name a few.

They long for their utopia where they can have weather like Phoenix's but still be back home where they originated from. So they live here and are happy when the sun shines, but are miserable otherwise. You'll find them in the sports bars rooting for their Packers or Steelers, but try striking up a conversation about Arizona sports teams, and they'll have a clueless expression.
lol hilarious post. Think of us however you want, we don't care. I've never seen a level of fair weather fans like cards fans. The people are so anxious to have a team they forget they don't actually like the sport. I became a die hard pack fan in the mid 80's. Do you have any idea how bad we sucked back then!?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
lol hilarious post. Think of us however you want, we don't care. I've never seen a level of fair weather fans like cards fans. The people are so anxious to have a team they forget they don't actually like the sport. I became a die hard pack fan in the mid 80's. Do you have any idea how bad we sucked back then!?
Blah blah Wisconsin. Let's keep this thread on track so it doesn't get closed.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Maybe you don't care about the weather, but to some such as myself, good weather is a VERY high priority

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
I like Chase Field personally. BUT, my perspective is going to baseball games at Shea Stadium in Queens, NY and that stadium was used for 44 years! Arenas and Stadiums have much shorter shelf lives nowadays.

The issue is modern expectations. What are fans looking for in the game-going experience: White glove service of fillet mignon and chardonnay to their seats at the ballgame? Marble tile and granite counter tops in the john? Massaging seatbacks in the stands?

My expectations are a reasonably roomy seat with a good view of the action, with a hotdog in one hand and drink in the other. No cup holders? No problem! Stand the drink beneath my seat, or between my legs like we did before cars grew center consoles.

In the restrooms? Everything manual. I can flush the john myself, and pull towels out of a dispenser. Plus, cold hard concrete flooring offers great grip compared to tilethhh.

I'm at the ballgame.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
The issue is modern expectations. What are fans looking for in the game-going experience: White glove service of fillet mignon and chardonnay to their seats at the ballgame? Marble tile and granite counter tops in the john? Massaging seatbacks in the stands?

My expectations are a reasonably roomy seat with a good view of the action, with a hotdog in one hand and drink in the other. No cup holders? No problem! Stand the drink beneath my seat, or between my legs like we did before cars grew center consoles.

In the restrooms? Everything manual. I can flush the john myself, and pull towels out of a dispenser. Plus, cold hard concrete flooring offers great grip compared to tilethhh.

I'm at the ballgame.
How many stadiums really have those things though? And Chase field has some really nice amenities already.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
How many stadiums really have those things though? And Chase field has some really nice amenities already.
OK, I was being facetious about some of that, like the massaging seatbacks. But seriously, have you been inside Yankee Stadium II? I haven't, but I've seen photos of some of the amenities.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Using your own words, "we don't care".

Old 08-18-2017, 11:35 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
What does chase not have?

Other than butts in the seats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area