Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 AM

77 posts, read 127,422 times

Advertisements

Just sharing some observations from my visit to PHX. Drove down from Denver on a scouting trip to see what it's like. Exploring the possibility of a move to the area. The scenery in AZ is amazing from Grand Canyon down to Sedona and even in Phoenix with mountains surrounding the city. The desert landscape is pretty cool and something different to see.

The people here seem friendly enough similiar to Denver and the weather is great. I am a bit blown away by how large the metro area is with roads and cars in every direction here. There seems to be more people than Denver and more cars yet it's been easy to drive around the area. Compared to Denver in general it seems easier to get around due to the good road system. It's a little busy for my taste with all the cars (like Den) but maybe if you live close enough to work it's not so bad? I also visited downtown Chandler and Gilbert both seemed a little more laid back than the Scottsdale area where i'm staying near old town.
Visited DT Phoenix and it seemed fine to me and reminds me of when Denver was starting to get built up with many new bars and restaurants.

I think I could deal with the hot summers, my main reservation is the amount of people and cars but again maybe it is all relative to where you work as to how much of a headache that can be? I could foresee I-17 being a parking lot of cars going up to the mountains on weekends? Is that the case? Anyone on this forum move down from Denver? Thoughts on living in PHX over Denver? Motivation for moving is to leave the snow and cold behind me but maintain access to mountains for hiking and camping etc.. Also into boating/sailing/kayaking/hiking as well.. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhden2000 View Post
Just sharing some observations from my visit to PHX. Drove down from Denver on a scouting trip to see what it's like. Exploring the possibility of a move to the area. The scenery in AZ is amazing from Grand Canyon down to Sedona and even in Phoenix with mountains surrounding the city. The desert landscape is pretty cool and something different to see.

The people here seem friendly enough similiar to Denver and the weather is great. I am a bit blown away by how large the metro area is with roads and cars in every direction here. There seems to be more people than Denver and more cars yet it's been easy to drive around the area. Compared to Denver in general it seems easier to get around due to the good road system. It's a little busy for my taste with all the cars (like Den) but maybe if you live close enough to work it's not so bad? I also visited downtown Chandler and Gilbert both seemed a little more laid back than the Scottsdale area where i'm staying near old town.
Visited DT Phoenix and it seemed fine to me and reminds me of when Denver was starting to get built up with many new bars and restaurants.

I think I could deal with the hot summers, my main reservation is the amount of people and cars but again maybe it is all relative to where you work as to how much of a headache that can be? I could foresee I-17 being a parking lot of cars going up to the mountains on weekends? Is that the case? Anyone on this forum move down from Denver? Thoughts on living in PHX over Denver? Motivation for moving is to leave the snow and cold behind me but maintain access to mountains for hiking and camping etc.. Also into boating/sailing/kayaking/hiking as well.. Thanks.
I'm a native but I lived in Denver for years and still work there quite a bit. In a lot of ways I like the direction Denver is headed. It has a lot of high paying work, an outstanding airport, decent public transportion, a lot of water, and is growing up as well as out. But that's not to knock Phoenix, it's home. If you don't like the people, that's unfortunate I don't like them either, but Phoenix is a perpetual growth machine it will only get bigger until it can't any longer.

Chandler/Gilbert is a nice area, Scottsdale is a popular nightlife destination, DT Phoenix is woefully undersized but improving, you should have visited Tempe.

You're doing what a lot of people do and I advise you as I do the millions that move here and then leave angry three years later, don't move somewhere for the weather.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,144,428 times
On the people:

You are moving from a population of 2.7 Million to a metro with a population of 4.5 Million people. Denver's urban density is greater by about 1000 more people per square mile so yes, there are people all over the Valley and yes, it is constant.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:

I could foresee I-17 being a parking lot of cars going up to the mountains on weekends? Is that the case? Anyone on this forum move down from Denver? Thoughts on living in PHX over Denver?
I-17 isn't too bad, it does get busy in the summer with people trying to escape the desert - as long as their isn't an accident your ok.

I live in the east valley and I prefer to go up the 87 to Payson and the white mountains - its closer and I have never had to deal with the heavy traffic.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
We moved from Denver to Phoenix.

As you noticed, Phoenix is a much larger geographical area than Denver. You do not want to drive across town for a commute here. Stay on the same side of town. Getting up to Sedona or Flagstaff on the weekend is a chore. We don't do it too often. On the plus side, however, there is quite a lot of hiking and mountain biking right in the city. Also a plus, in my opinion, is that the airport is in the center of the city.

We're not into boating, so can't help you there.

We live in Gilbert, and yes that little old town area has really started taking off. I has a good variety of casual food and some nice happy hours.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,005 times
Quote:

I've lived in Phoenix for about 4 1/2 years and I lived in Denver for just over a year and have been going there regularly for the past 20 years. To answer your questions:

- I-17 going north on the weekends is probably easier than going on I-70 into the mountains from Denver. In the summer it's certainly better than all the skiers and snowboarders going to the resorts on 70 in the winter, and you don't have to deal with snow and ice.

- I agree with what the above poster said about not moving somewhere just for the weather. You either like the City and the people or you don't.

- Phoenix does have some nice, close access to mountains and hiking, even within the city itself, but it's not quite like the Rockies. They are smaller and definitely less green, though the desert has a charm of it's own. Some people like the desert scenery, however, but just know that if you are coming from somewhere green that you will probably miss big trees and greenery from time to time. I know I do. Palm trees don't provide much shade, either.

- Downtown Phoenix is improving but it's not even close to downtown Denver. Think of Phoenix as really having a bunch of smaller downtown nodes all spread out (downtown Phoenix, Old Town Scottsdale, downtown Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, etc.). Denver is essentially gentrified now and there are so many cool neighborhood around downtown, all with a more urban feel and older buildings, etc. Phoenix just has a much more suburban feel except in few small pockets because most of it is less than 50 years old.

- boating options are actually pretty decent. Like in Denver most of the lakes are man-made but the ones close to Phoenix are bigger than the small reservoirs in and around Denver. You'll see tons of boats being pulled out to Lake Pleasant, Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, etc on the weekends and it's a nice way to escape the heat. Really, you can enjoy boating here year round which is something that can't be said about Denver.

- Yes, Phoenix is about 50% bigger in population so there are more cars, but the road system is leaps and bounds better so it's actually easier to get around here. In Denver you have the Mousetrap and I-25 between about Lincoln and downtown was always a parking lot between 7 and 9 and 3:30 and 6. I-10 can be a bear but overall traffic flows better, especially for a city of Phoenix's size.

- The culture is definitely different in Phoenix. Denver has a more outdoor-centric vibe and seemingly everyone drives a Subaru with a roof rack. There are more established cultural attractions and way more hipsters. Phoenix is a big melting pot of Mexican, California, Midwestern, and Native American culture with a few Canadians and east coasters thrown in. As mentioned its newer and more suburban. Cost of living is lower and a lot of people move here because they can get a bigger house for their money than in other places. There are a lot more retirees. It's way more diverse than Denver. If you can embrace it for what it is you'll probably like it in Phoenix, but if you want it to be like Denver, you'd be better off staying there.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:18 PM

77 posts, read 127,422 times
JGmotorsports64 you make a very good point. Dont move just for the weather as you have to look at the big picture as well.
My motiviation is mostly weather driven to be honest however the people and traffic situation are very important. The people seem to be very friendly in Phoenix which is great and I have had zero issues driving around this town. This is one of the easisest cities I have ever driven in. I visited Tempe as well today which was nice actually, enjoyed it.

I did read on this forum that there is alot of big pickup trucks on the road in Phoenix and that seems to be true. What is up with all the big pickups and pipes racing around town? We have some in Denver but moreso northern Colorado, the closer you get to Wyoming which is pickup land. Just an interesting thing to see along with alot more sport cars which you don't see in Denver.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
JGmotorsports64 you make a very good point. Dont move just for the weather as you have to look at the big picture as well.
My motiviation is mostly weather driven to be honest however the people and traffic situation are very important. The people seem to be very friendly in Phoenix which is great and I have had zero issues driving around this town. This is one of the easisest cities I have ever driven in. I visited Tempe as well today which was nice actually, enjoyed it.

I did read on this forum that there is alot of big pickup trucks on the road in Phoenix and that seems to be true. What is up with all the big pickups and pipes racing around town? We have some in Denver but moreso northern Colorado, the closer you get to Wyoming which is pickup land. Just an interesting thing to see along with alot more sport cars which you don't see in Denver.

I moved for the weather never even having visited Phoenix before (I had been to Vegas many times in the summer so I had an idea of what I was getting into). I did my research and took a chance. I have a love/hate feeling for the metro itself, but the weather makes it tolerable for me; the weather effects my happiness and well being that greatly. I left a city that I loved, a house that I really loved, and an awesome job. Everything was really perfect for me there EXCEPT for the winters. I just could not take the cold, snow, and gloom anymore.

I hate hate hate the traffic here. That is probably what I dislike about living here the most. But, you get used to it. I find myself saying "it's not that far, only a half an hour or so" when before I moved here a half an hour to get someplace was a LONG distance. I'm also getting more tolerant of the freeways during rush hour, but it's still not my favorite.

My biggest piece of advice: rent for a long time when you move here. More than 6 months. Live in more than one area if you can. What I thought I wanted in a neighborhood and what I have now are 2 very different things. It took me 2 and a half years and a few moves to find a place that I think is really home. (I still miss my old house and neighborhood, dangit! )

Old 04-12-2016, 03:39 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Speaking of diversity, is there a larger Asian, Southeast Pacific islander influence compared to Denver since Phoenix is closer to Socal? I do a lot of my grocery shopping in Asian grocery markets. I've been to Mekong Plaza before, enjoyed it.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Difference in weather as far as the sports cars. We don't have to have winter wheels down here, there is no salted roads to deal with...so you can drive a sports car all year long. As far as the trucks...people haul stuff, tow things, use their trucks for work, go camping...granted there are some parking lot queens around but many of them are used for their original purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area