Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:00 AM

342 posts, read 322,279 times

Advertisements

I lived in an apartment on Baseline Road that was built on a wash so scorpions were everywhere. In my four years of living there I personally killed over 40 scorpions. I'm like one of the other posters here who said they'd rather not know. If I saw and killed that many, imagine how many others there were in my two-bedroom apartment?!

Ack.

I talked to a professor at ASU after I found my first one. He reassured me that they weren't going to cause me any real issues, that the chance of me being allergic was very slim, and I'd have to be stung by the same kind twice in order to have a reaction and there were more than 200 varieties and the chance of being stung by the same kind of bee and having a reaction to a bee was much more likely. And having a reaction from the sting of one the first time was only a problem for the very young (under 5) and the very old.

So, after that, I stopped worrying. I realized it would hurt if I was stung, but nothing worse than that. If I wasn't going to die or need to go to the hospital, then it was manageable. I learned to check my shoes before putting them on, and look twice before grabbing sponges under the sink, and shake out clothes that were laying folded in the closet for long periods. And to not reach into boxes that had been sitting for long periods unless I opened it up and gave the scorpions a chance to run out. Stuff like that. Basic precautions, but I didn't freak out since I didn't want to worry myself that much. (Yes, those were all places I saw scorpions. They would also be in the corners of the ceiling like where spiders hang out, and one time there was one under the edge of my toilet tank lid. They like dark, small spaces. I actually never saw one just walking on the carpet or the floor, tho.)

Good luck with your scorpion hunt! May the odds be ever in your favor. Do you play Animal Crossing by chance? You'll want to avoid playing at night in the summer months. It's very freaky all of the scorpions that come out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 02:58 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
This is an old thread, but in case anyone is considering how they might have some sort of automatic black light situation going on, and only because I know about a lot of fun lighting tricks and products....

You could combo up something like this:
Light Sensing Switch

With something like this:
UV Fairy Lights

or this:
UV LED Strips

And set it to respond just to the light reactive sensor, so when it's dark in the home, they'd come on, and when it's lit, they would not.

Might work.

You could plug any kind of light into that, including a smaller and less bright solution than these light strands. But I would make sure to use LED products. UV LEDs are great, and LEDs use less power and don't get hot, compared to other kinds of lights. I have converted pretty much all of my lighting to LED by now.

Or you could do what I'm planning to do, which is just to keep a couple of UV LED flashlights around the house. But in all honesty I am not that worried for my own sake so I probably won't bother to always be looking for scorpions. I'm only worried about my cat. He's not a very skilled hunter. And looking around with a black light is not going to be that effective when my cat might interact with one while I'm sleeping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: