Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times

Advertisements

Death Valley was 89 today. Gonna be 93 tomorrow and not above 94 all week. It's pretty bad when we are hotter than Death Valley, CA which has had the hottest temperatures in the whole world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 02:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Wow 111 was our high too. So much for Tucson being a bit cooler huh . You will be pleasantly cooler come the monsoon at least.
I've found that outside of the monsoon, Tucson can actually be hotter than us, and I think it is the same effect that causes the Santa Ana's in SoCal, a wind from the south/southeast in Tucson is downsloping off of the Sierra Madre Occidental and off the Mexican Plateau

Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You never have to shovel heat and sunshine!

Please, on behalf of all Arizonans, STOP saying ridiculous stuff like this, its embarrassing. Seriously. It makes us look like Neaderthals who cant deal with anything but sunshine (read:weak). Ill flat out say it: childhood in AZ sorely lacks compared to the rest of the nation. Kids here cant walk down to a creek to fish. They cant be outside all day in summer (when theyre out of school ironically). They cant have snowball fights or sled in their neighborhoods. They cant barrel roll down soft grass hills. They cant fish from a dock at a local pond. They cant rake leaves into a huge pile and jump into it. They dont get to build tree forts all over a forest. They dont get to ride their bikes to Main Street USA and go into the baseball card shops. All the things that made my childhood so friggin awesome requires long distance driving around here. Lets just say Im glad I didnt grow up here. Im happy to live here as an adult, but would've choked my parents for moving me here as a child.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Please, on behalf of all Arizonans, STOP saying ridiculous stuff like this, its embarrassing. Seriously. It makes us look like Neaderthals who cant deal with anything but sunshine (read:weak). Ill flat out say it: childhood in AZ sorely lacks compared to the rest of the nation. Kids here cant walk down to a creek to fish. They cant be outside all day in summer (when theyre out of school ironically). They cant have snowball fights or sled in their neighborhoods. They cant barrel roll down soft grass hills. They cant fish from a dock at a local pond. They cant rake leaves into a huge pile and jump into it. They dont get to build tree forts all over a forest. They dont get to ride their bikes to Main Street USA and go into the baseball card shops. All the things that made my childhood so friggin awesome requires long distance driving around here. Lets just say Im glad I didnt grow up here. Im happy to live here as an adult, but would've choked my parents for moving me here as a child.
First, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and second I was being sarcastic, hence the .

Next, as you likely know, the entire state of Arizona, is not desert and the Devil's playground, if you want to live in Arizona and experience the things you did, you can; snow, being out all day in the summer, fishing, raking leaves, building tree forts in the forest. Just ask the children growing up in Flagstaff or Pinetop or Show Low, etc.

You should change your statement from childhood in AZ to childhood in the deserts of Arizona, and no one is forcing anyone to raise their children in Arizona.

It's embarrassing that you are perpetuating the myth that all of Arizona is a desert, please STOP saying ridiculous stuff like this!

Finally, everyone is different and just because that was the way you grew up doesn't mean every single kid in the entire US should have to grow up that way, people adapt/adjust and make do with what they have (See Ponderosa's post below).

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-07-2016 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
It depends on where you live. My kids did quite a number of those things. Roll down a grassy slope? Check. Fish from a dock? Check. Forts in the forest? No, but in the deep and wooded wash across the street. Ride bikes to main street? Check, but to the resident center where they could use the waterslides, and take out paddle boats (all year round). They played with other kids in the cul-de-sac all winter. And they went out to recess almost every day in school - no rain, no snow. On top of that, they went water and snow boarding as they got older, hiked desert trails among vistas that exist in few other places, played tee ball, soccer, baseball, track and football. Even though they lived in the desert they went water and snow boarding and camping in the forest.

I don't think I ever heard them complain about the heat. They grew up in shorts and open toed shoes and loving sunshine. I think they were happy and will remember their childhoods as fondly as you do your own

To be honest, I wonder if kids even do much of the things you loved so much even where that is more easily done. Back in the day, we spent a lot of time outdoors amusing ourselves. We had no internet, no smart phones and only a couple TV channels. Our parents did not fear that a perv would grab us the moment we stepped outside. We made do.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-07-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 AM

226 posts, read 227,470 times
Quote:

Yes, but kids in Phoenix used to be able to fish in the canals. Don't think the city lets you do that anymore.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
First, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and second I was being sarcastic, hence the .

Next, as you likely know, the entire state of Arizona, is not desert and the Devil's playground, if you want to live in Arizona and experience the things you did, you can; snow, being out all day in the summer, fishing, raking leaves, building tree forts in the forest. Just ask the children growing up in Flagstaff or Pinetop or Show Low, etc.

You should change your statement from childhood in AZ to childhood in the deserts of Arizona, and no one is forcing anyone to raise their children in Arizona.

It's embarrassing that you are perpetuating the myth that all of Arizona is a desert, please STOP saying ridiculous stuff like this!

Finally, everyone is different and just because that was the way you grew up doesn't mean every single kid in the entire US should have to grow up that way, people adapt/adjust and make do with what they have (See Ponderosa's post below).

I use the line "I never complain about the heat because I don't have to shovel it" ALL the time. It's true! I grew up where I had the opportunity to roll down grassy hills (NEVER wanted to) have snowball fights and go sledding (no thanks, even as a kid I hated winter and snow and being out in it) and fish (I grew up on the Mississippi River, hello?) and never had any desire at all. All I cared about as a kid was sunshine and warm days and warm nights. I was always jealous of kids who were born someplace that they never had to deal with cold or walk to school in the snow and ice, bundle up and stay inside for recess because it was too cold out, or were able to swim more than a couple months of the year!

My biggest complaint is I stayed where it gets cold too long and I tell my friends "You know you can leave, right?'

Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My biggest complaint is I stayed where it gets cold too long and I tell my friends "You know you can leave, right?'
When I first moved to Arizona in 2001, I thought sarcastically to myself, "Wait , you can live here and not have to be 55 and older!? People actually grew up here!? You can wear shorts all year round!?"

Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 AM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
Quote:
Having grown up here it's more a national thing with helicopter parenting, this notion that children are special snowflakes, tv and video games keep them in.

When I was a kid in the 80's we played outside all summer. We didn't have a pool so we would walk over mile to the pool at Tempe Beach Park or to Clark Park. The playground equipment was made of metal and definitely not shaded. We are outside in the 118 heat on July 4th running around like savages all summer long. No one died or even cared about the heat.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 PM

445 posts, read 515,689 times
Quote:
I grew up in the same place you did, and I never did half of that stuff you mentioned since I was a city kid. But I'm not buying that the quality of a kid's childhood in Arizona has to be any different than in any other part of the country. The kids sure can be outside all day in summer if they stay hydrated...I see kids in my neighborhood do it all the time. And they can stay out all day in the winter too, most of the time with shorts on. Maybe they aren't having snowball fights or building tree forts in a forest. But many of them are playing outdoor sports year round, hiking, and enjoying plenty of grass hills at the dozens of parks all over the valley. I don't think childhood lacks at all here compared with the rest of the country...it's just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area