Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I only hike up to 105 degrees, any temps over that and my happy butt stays indoors. I know the signs of heat exhaustion, and I carry plenty of water with me (more than what is adequate). For those of us who are avid outdoorsmen, we enjoy hiking and enjoying the "ugly brown hills" you speak of such disgust with. Its a blessing to have the mountains right here, and we take advantage of what the trails have to offer. You scream "dont expect my tax money to save you", even though I work my ARSE off and have paid more than enough taxes over the last 25+ years? I bet youre the type of person who is completely ok with the fact that your taxes pay for illegals and their anti-assimilating selves, right? I bet your cool knowing your taxes pay for those unwilling to work for a living, too. Am I right?
Have you ever read Natives posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
I only hike up to 105 degrees, any temps over that and my happy butt stays indoors. I know the signs of heat exhaustion, and I carry plenty of water with me (more than what is adequate). For those of us who are avid outdoorsmen, we enjoy hiking and enjoying the "ugly brown hills" you speak of such disgust with. Its a blessing to have the mountains right here, and we take advantage of what the trails have to offer. You scream "dont expect my tax money to save you", even though I work my ARSE off and have paid more than enough taxes over the last 25+ years? I bet youre the type of person who is completely ok with the fact that your taxes pay for illegals and their anti-assimilating selves, right? I bet your cool knowing your taxes pay for those unwilling to work for a living, too. Am I right?
I agree. The mountains are an attraction here. Other places have beaches or other things. Some cities have nothing (Dallas and Atlanta come to mind but there are many others). We have mountains.

Personally, I'm a 105er too. I'll bend the temperature if it's windy or cloudy, but 105 is where I usually cut it off. The way I see it, in this state, if you skip a few days, you're not missing the last nice day of the season or anything like in other places. But I'm not going to tell other people they should do something else either.

Another nice thing about this state is how you can drive a couple of hours and be in a totally different climate. And Sedona is deserted when it's 100 degrees. I've had some of the most difficult Sedona trails entirely to myself many times.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I agree. The mountains are an attraction here. Other places have beaches or other things. Some cities have nothing (Dallas and Atlanta come to mind but there are many others). We have mountains.

Personally, I'm a 105er too. I'll bend the temperature if it's windy or cloudy, but 105 is where I usually cut it off. The way I see it, in this state, if you skip a few days, you're not missing the last nice day of the season or anything like in other places. But I'm not going to tell other people they should do something else either.

Another nice thing about this state is how you can drive a couple of hours and be in a totally different climate. And Sedona is deserted when it's 100 degrees. I've had some of the most difficult Sedona trails entirely to myself many times.
Ive wanted to hike Sedona, but havent had the chance yet. Every time I go up there, I have visiting family or friends with us, and theyre not usually the hiking type.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

I never understand the thought of "this city is so great because it is driving distance to _____". If a city is so great, why the desire to always LEAVE?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I never understand the thought of "this city is so great because it is driving distance to _____". If a city is so great, why the desire to always LEAVE?
I think he was saying its a nice option to be able to drive a short distance to experience different climates and regions. Most places in the country dont have that, so its nice that we do. For example, a few weeks ago while we were broiling in 118 degree heat, we drove up to the Grand Canyon. We stopped in Flag to gas up, and when we stepped out, it was 71 degrees. We were surrounded by ponderosa pines and even a creek. Where else in the nation can you drive only 2 hours and get a 45-degree temp change as well as a complete zone change? Not many.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think he was saying its a nice option to be able to drive a short distance to experience different climates and regions. Most places in the country dont have that, so its nice that we do. For example, a few weeks ago while we were broiling in 118 degree heat, we drove up to the Grand Canyon. We stopped in Flag to gas up, and when we stepped out, it was 71 degrees. We were surrounded by ponderosa pines and even a creek. Where else in the nation can you drive only 2 hours and get a 45-degree temp change as well as a complete zone change? Not many.

Las Vegas (Mt. Charleston). And it's closer.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I said "not many". Im sure there are a handful of places (ie Tucson's Mt. Lemmon), but AZ has it best.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I like Vegas fine, but to live?

Too add, from Phoenix you have an incredibly diverse range of places close enough to drive. You can go to Albuquerque, or the Grand Canyon, or Sedona, or Tucson, or even Vegas, California, Mexico etc.

A nice livable place among many great or interesting places.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I like Vegas fine, but to live?

Too add, from Phoenix you have an incredibly diverse range of places close enough to drive. You can go to Albuquerque, or the Grand Canyon, or Sedona, or Tucson, or even Vegas, California, Mexico etc.

A nice livable place among many great or interesting places.
Again , I don't get the value of rating a city by how easy it is to get away from it!

Almost any place is going to be close to something else. When I was in the Midwest it was an easy trip to Chicago, St Louis, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, The Ozarks, Kansas City, etc. Makes no difference if where you actually live is lacking.

The point of Vegas and Mt Charleston is you can get up on the mountains from the desert much faster than here. And Vegas is a fine place to live with more to do. That's where I'd be if the job market was better.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Again , I don't get the value of rating a city by how easy it is to get away from it!

Almost any place is going to be close to something else. When I was in the Midwest it was an easy trip to Chicago, St Louis, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, The Ozarks, Kansas City, etc. Makes no difference if where you actually live is lacking.
I said interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area