Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not always allowed.
That's interesting. When did this occur and when is it not allowed? I've probably used this method fifteen times or more in the past several years and have never had an issue. I'm there at peak times too, Christmas and end of March/first part of April. Maybe specific to certain rental companies? Primarily use Avis and National.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
That's interesting. When did this occur and when is it not allowed? I've probably used this method fifteen times or more in the past several years and have never had an issue. I'm there at peak times too, Christmas and end of March/first part of April. Maybe specific to certain rental companies? Primarily use Avis and National.
I can't say when, but in '07 I rented a car to go to Vegas. I had to show I was a local and not somebody from out of town to get the "good" rate. I heard there were ways around that but don't know personally.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Works for me every time I go to Phoenix. Price is almost cut in half but picking up off-site and dropping off at airport.
We rented at the Budget office around 28th street in may, 2016. They insisted we had to return the car to them, NOT the airport.

Interestingly, we did the same thing with that Budget location in February of 2015, but WERE allowed to return it to the airport. Maybe it's a seasonal thing, or based on the mood of the front desk clerk,. Either way, no bigge. Just called Uber.

Rented thru Costco.com both times.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM

586 posts, read 541,621 times
I rent online 8 or 10 times a year. I put in pickup location and drop-off location. Have never had an issue and regularly compare price to airport pickup price.
Quote:
We rented at the Budget office around 28th street in may, 2016. They insisted we had to return the car to them, NOT the airport.

Interestingly, we did the same thing with that Budget location in February of 2015, but WERE allowed to return it to the airport. Maybe it's a seasonal thing, or based on the mood of the front desk clerk,. Either way, no bigge. Just called Uber.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM

430 posts, read 290,926 times
Enterprise can pick you up from the Airport I think.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Quote:

What is the advantage to renting through Costco rather than just directly through the rental car company website, or through a site like Orbitz? Please advise.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM

No they can't. They have a minimum mileage limit from airport for pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Enterprise can pick you up from the Airport I think.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:02 PM

Friends of mine claim to get prices there but I've compared at least 10 times and Costco has never been cheaper than Expedia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
What is the advantage to renting through Costco rather than just directly through the rental car company website, or through a site like Orbitz? Please advise.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 AM

19,439 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Costco prices have been cheaper than the rental's own site EVERY TIME I've checked (domestic rentals.) I don't use Orbitz.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
ALL rental car agencies in every state have a higher tax than normal.. This is because as one poster said - they have an additional tax to fund things..

Also Airports are considered an entity unto themselves and part of these higher taxes go to support the airport...

As for the concession fee, they are allowed to charge more than they pay to the airport to maintain the area they have... As for the price difference between companies it is because of the amount of vehicles and size of space they have....

Besides if as you say you can ONLY get the vehicle at the airport why are you crying over a few extra pennies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area