Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 AM

344 posts, read 813,087 times

Advertisements

I don't know..I would think it to be high. One of the complaints might be communal bonds, though I'm not sure that it would be so much better elsewhere. Phoenix 30th on the list; not sure if this makes sense.

Thoughts? Your own home experiences?

Homeowner Happiness Index | A Research Study by HomeAdvisor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Weird study. I consider Phoenix light years ahead of Chicago and Milwaukee, the next cities down on the study. I know both those cities well. And St. Louis scored 3rd, with SLC at the bottom near Baltimore. The happiness ("best place to live") spread between top and bottom is only 5/100 points too.

Whatever, though. Everything out here seems nice, polite, and laid back. Then you go to Chicago and it's exactly the opposite. But I guess they rank almost the same.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
The rows and rows of stuccoed homes, red roofs, and little individuality do nothing to make the place look more inviting. I can see why Phoenix is so low on the chart.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
The rows and rows of stuccoed homes, red roofs, and little individuality do nothing to make the place look more inviting. I can see why Phoenix is so low on the chart.

If you actually look at the survey, that really wouidn't factor much into the results. And, there are plenty of neighborhoods in Phoenix (we may not be talking suburbs here with respect to the survey) that don't fit that description anyway.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
I never look at lists, surveys, research... Because 99% of the time they are made to skew towards what they want you to believe... For whatever reason.... Also depending on how they do their questionnaires or research graphs, makes a lot of difference int he answers and information....

ex: A question is put to 200 people ( 120 are retired and 80 are working) - "Would you rather live for 5 years in Chicago, Portland, Maine, Phoenix or Melbourne, Florida???

The above doesn't give enough information... Most people would probably say Phoenix or Melbourne.... doesn't stipulate whether you are needing to work or are retired, married, etc, etc....

Now if they asked the question this way - There is a job that will last 5 years and has openings in the following places - Chicago, Portland, Maine, Phoenix or Melbourne, Florida???, It also comes with a free rental apt.... The answers would be totally different... Probably 99% of the retirees would say none of the above, while the 80 who need work would decide which is better for them...

Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,079,872 times
If you read the fine print on the survey methodology their initial sample size was only 600...for 50+ cities and metros. That's not a lot. There were several states that had no respondents, so they simply assigned them a "regional ranking". Clearly the survey is flawed and is really meant to just be a fluff piece to create page hits. Mission accomplished!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
How about... when was the survey conducted? Big difference if July or January. In late July I hate Phoenix and in late January it's the best place ever. Obviously the opposite is true of many other places.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
I think the summers here are manageable, despite the constant whining.

NO doubt they're hot, we know that. However...(1) most of the country is uncomfortably hot this time of the year, and (2) newer cities in the SW such as Phoenix are largely ACd, within fairly comfortable car cultures..try waiting on filthy, antiquated NY subway platforms where it's 15 degrees hotter than the insufferable temps above ground that they're suffering through right now, with no air circulation. Nor are we, for the most part, out on the streets waiting for buses. (3) The air quality here, while it's considered not so good, isn't in the same sentence with the air in NY, Philly, etc. Same for the heat island effect...while it exists here, I believe the term was invented for NYC sidewalks, where the heat rises and does NOT move.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
If you read the fine print on the survey methodology their initial sample size was only 600...for 50+ cities and metros. That's not a lot. There were several states that had no respondents, so they simply assigned them a "regional ranking". Clearly the survey is flawed and is really meant to just be a fluff piece to create page hits. Mission accomplished!
Bingo! Those made up sites are only designed to get you to look at ads.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
I don't understand the ranking either.

Many of the residential developments around Phoenix are newer, more energy efficient, and less expensive compared to other cities where there is a lot of older housing stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: