Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM

249 posts, read 188,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Preach

People here have no clue what traffic is like in other large metropolitan cities. Please preach some sense into these people. They complain if they have to drive over 30 minutes one way. I think that is probably due to people who move here from small cities in the midwest and south where they are used to 10 minute commutes

Oh give me a break.
I moved here from Sacramento-not a small midwest city, and almost everything there was centralized, not a lot of driving, and traffic wasn't nearly as congested as Phoenix. I know one reason was Sacramento is smaller but I still didn't have to drive anywhere near as far for things like I do here.
This is one thing I don't like about Phoenix----the long commutes, everything scattered about, and the tangled rush hour traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Believe me, I applied at different companies that were closer-Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix, Biltmore, and Arcadia areas. Most of the hours weren't flexible and the benefit packages were so-so.
Right now I work in an office in the Biltmore area, it's a 9 to 5 kind of schedule and there's not much room for advancement.
I don't like the 9 to 5 shifts mostly because of the traffic, and those kind of schedules are really outdated anyway.
This place I applied at looks very promising with very flexible work schedules, better pay, and good benefits. The only problem is the distance from home but I think I'd rather drive a little more, get a better benefits package, and avoid most of the heavy traffic than work a drudging 9 to 5 schedule and not be happy.

You can make it work. It's probably less than 25 miles door to door, and I can guarantee there are many here with much worse commutes. The 101 is the worst in the afternoon around US 60, that is where there may be some stop and go. After that area it generally flows down to the Santan 202 split, and that is where you keep to the right and get off on Price Rd. I would imagine the commute would be much better if you worked a 9-5 type schedule as that side of the freeway flows quickly in the morning. Who knows they may even offer telecommuting some days as well and it may end up being not much of an issue at all.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
I would stick with the regular 9-5.

44th St moves pretty decently at all times of day. Pretty easy to jump down to the 202. In the mornings, traffic moves east to west. Evenings, it backs up west to east.

In the mornings, you'll have clear sailing until you hit Scottsdale Road. You'll get a bit of backup for 2 miles as people figure out the 101/202 interchange, but most morning traffic will be headed north on the 101. Once you get on the 101 south, it'll be a clear shot all the way down. Sometimes there's a little congestion from the off ramp at Price, but nothing major.

The same commute in the evenings, you'll be crawling on the 202 from when you get on, until you hit the 101. That ramp will take forever -- I used to commute the same direction in the evenings, and it would take me nearly 10 mins to clear the 202 East / 101 South ramp. From there, 101 south is bumper to bumper until you hit the 60. It'll speed up a little bit, but can occasionally back up south of the 60.

Mornings, it'll take about 20 mins. Evenings, about 40.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:01 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
AND traffic will stop for no reason on the freeways... One minute you are going 70 then you are stopped then you are going 70 again....
I know how bad the traffic can be in southern CA (especially L.A. area) ... I've been there many times. Phoenix traffic overall is better and easier flowing than L.A. area, but rush hour can still be extremely congested. You can't do anywhere near 70 MPH on the freeways around here during peak commute times because of how backed up the traffic can be. Even during the non peak times, traffic can come to an abrupt halt for different reasons, especially if there's an accident. Doesn't even have to be a serious crash either. A minor fender bender or a car pulled to the side can create rubbernecking & slowing. Of course, the blame for that is on the drivers, not the roads.

Quote:
Believe me, I applied at different companies that were closer-Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix, Biltmore, and Arcadia areas. Most of the hours weren't flexible and the benefit packages were so-so.
Right now I work in an office in the Biltmore area, it's a 9 to 5 kind of schedule and there's not much room for advancement.
I don't like the 9 to 5 shifts mostly because of the traffic, and those kind of schedules are really outdated anyway.
This place I applied at looks very promising with very flexible work schedules, better pay, and good benefits. The only problem is the distance from home but I think I'd rather drive a little more, get a better benefits package, and avoid most of the heavy traffic than work a drudging 9 to 5 schedule and not be happy.
I think you should look around a little harder for prospective employers if you want the more flexible schedules, as well as decent salaries & benefits. I work for a large firm which has a regional HQ base here in the Phoenix area. Our main office is downtown, and we also have an office in Tempe (where I work). Both of those locations are pretty centrally located, and there are various positions which offer more flexibility in shifts. Some positions even have evening shifts available, depending of course on which department it is. It would be a lot better than driving all that distance from Arcadia to south Chandler!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I know how bad the traffic can be in southern CA (especially L.A. area) ... I've been there many times. Phoenix traffic overall is better and easier flowing than L.A. area, but rush hour can still be extremely congested. You can't do anywhere near 70 MPH on the freeways around here during peak commute times because of how backed up the traffic can be. Even during the non peak times, traffic can come to an abrupt halt for different reasons, especially if there's an accident. Doesn't even have to be a serious crash either. A minor fender bender or a car pulled to the side can create rubbernecking & slowing. Of course, the blame for that is on the drivers, not the roads.

I think you should look around a little harder for prospective employers if you want the more flexible schedules, as well as decent salaries & benefits. I work for a large firm which has a regional HQ base here in the Phoenix area. Our main office is downtown, and we also have an office in Tempe (where I work). Both of those locations are pretty centrally located, and there are various positions which offer more flexibility in shifts. Some positions even have evening shifts available, depending of course on which department it is. It would be a lot better than driving all that distance from Arcadia to south Chandler!
This all goes back to what I've told you before, Central Phoenix doesn't have a ton to offer as far as jobs, the 101 corridor is hot and has in many cases more jobs (depending on the field). Someone living in Arcadia or Central Phoenix is not always closer to employment, if what they are looking for is in Chandler or North Scottsdale for instance.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I would stick with the regular 9-5.

44th St moves pretty decently at all times of day. Pretty easy to jump down to the 202. In the mornings, traffic moves east to west. Evenings, it backs up west to east.

In the mornings, you'll have clear sailing until you hit Scottsdale Road. You'll get a bit of backup for 2 miles as people figure out the 101/202 interchange, but most morning traffic will be headed north on the 101. Once you get on the 101 south, it'll be a clear shot all the way down. Sometimes there's a little congestion from the off ramp at Price, but nothing major.

The same commute in the evenings, you'll be crawling on the 202 from when you get on, until you hit the 101. That ramp will take forever -- I used to commute the same direction in the evenings, and it would take me nearly 10 mins to clear the 202 East / 101 South ramp. From there, 101 south is bumper to bumper until you hit the 60. It'll speed up a little bit, but can occasionally back up south of the 60.

Mornings, it'll take about 20 mins. Evenings, about 40.

Why should I stick with the 9 to 5 if I'm going to be in my car longer and fight traffic? That would defeat the purpose of me switching companies.
Where I work now is a small office with a 9 to 5 kind of job. The pay is ok but the morale is low and there's not much opportunity for promotions, and I hate sitting in rush hour traffic.
If I'm going to drive a longer distance to work I might as well opt for a flex schedule or night shift----I could make more money with the shift differential and get better benefits.
If I get the position and the non-9 to 5 work schedule I'm asking for, would the freeway commute to Chandler be smooth sailing or would there be some gridlock along the way?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Hello.
Could you send me a pm about your company and what they offer for pay and benefits?
Your location would be less driving for me and what I might be looking for in different work schedules.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
<snip> Central Phoenix doesn't have a ton to offer as far as jobs, the 101 corridor is hot and has in many cases more jobs (depending on the field). Someone living in Arcadia or Central Phoenix is not always closer to employment, if what they are looking for is in Chandler or North Scottsdale for instance.

Lol, I'm finding this out more and more.
I like living in Phoenix but this is one thing I don't care for----all the driving, everything seems like it's here, there, and everywhere. I prefer things to be more centralized to minimize the commutes, and wear and tear on the car.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Why should I stick with the 9 to 5 if I'm going to be in my car longer and fight traffic? That would defeat the purpose of me switching companies.
Where I work now is a small office with a 9 to 5 kind of job. The pay is ok but the morale is low and there's not much opportunity for promotions, and I hate sitting in rush hour traffic.
If I'm going to drive a longer distance to work I might as well opt for a flex schedule or night shift----I could make more money with the shift differential and get better benefits.
If I get the position and the non-9 to 5 work schedule I'm asking for, would the freeway commute to Chandler be smooth sailing or would there be some gridlock along the way?
The question in bold has been answered. To reiterate, sticking to a traditional 9 to 5 going to Chandler would be easier than going to Chandler at 5 PM due to the reverse commute others have mentioned (although a commute home at 2 AM would be easy).

Old 09-08-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The question in bold has been answered. To reiterate, sticking to a traditional 9 to 5 going to Chandler would be easier than going to Chandler at 5 PM due to the reverse commute others have mentioned (although a commute home at 2 AM would be easy).

I understand the traffic and reverse commute issue.
To reiterate, I'm anticipating a flexible schedule or night shift because I don't care for the drudging outdated 9 to 5 routine, and this company pays a nice shift differential for working night hours.
If I'm going to drive the longer distance to work I might as well work nights and get paid the extra money for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area