Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 AM

6 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! been lurking for awhile doing preliminary research. ive been living in north dakota for about 16 years (except for 18 months when i lived in germany) and im originally from brooklyn, ny. last winter i was extremely depressed between the weather here and working a job i hated for the last 5 years. then in february, one of my best friends passed. his death motivated me to get my life together.

on a whim, i flew allegiant down to phoenix in may. i was there for a week and absolutely fell in love with the area. great weather, great food, and actual things to do (unlike nd). i started looking into schools, and was initially enrolled at glendale cc with the intention of transferring to asu after. i even did a little apartment hunting in the west valley. on the way back to nd, i actually missed my flight, and while sitting on the patio at phx-mesa, i remembered seeing a university of north dakota sign when i landed. i googled and found cgcc. they had a program that i liked more than glendale, so i flew down again in july for orientation, with the plan of starting spring 2017.

my second trip down was only wed-fri, so i didn't really have a chance to explore much of the eastern area. both times i stayed with a friend in the way northwest of phx, like 20-30 minutes north of arrowhead? i will be attending cgcc at the airport campus. i would like to keep my commute time around 30-45 minutes each way.

im 35 so nightlife isn't too important to me, although a few places close by to have some late drinks would be nice. ive been looking at apartments in chandler, gilbert and mesa. i actually really liked midtown on main in mesa. can i take the 101 to 202 and make decent time? are there any other areas i should be looking at? id appreciate a few pointers as there's only so much i can learn via apartments dot com and google maps.

tl;dr 35yo single male attending cgcc, needs help finding a place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 03:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
From Mesa to that campus would be a reverse commute, so that helps. You might also look in the area around Chandler Fashion Center. Not as familiar with Gilbert, but you should have some options there, too, maybe close to the San Tan Village area.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 PM

thanks observer53! looking at the area around chandler fashion center, i've already found 3 places that i like. and it looks like they are all about 30 minutes to the mesa airport campus. the san tan village area looks to be a little higher than i'd like to pay for rent, though.

i appreciate the suggestions!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Do be advised that CGCC has two campuses, a lot of people learn the hard way. One is on Pecos and the other is out by Mesa-Gateway airport.

Their class selection system doesn't really differentiate the two.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 AM

yes, i will be attending at the airport campus

Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _m1key View Post
thanks observer53! looking at the area around chandler fashion center, i've already found 3 places that i like. and it looks like they are all about 30 minutes to the mesa airport campus. the san tan village area looks to be a little higher than i'd like to pay for rent, though.

i appreciate the suggestions!
I used to live near the Chandler fashion mall in a very nice neighborhood that had easy access to good shopping and dining, not the high-end overpriced stuff you might find in Scottsdale but still a very good selection.

Schools in Chandler are among the best around especially in the Kyrene district.

There are very few bad or sketchy areas in Chandler, you really can't go wrong living there.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 PM

that's good to hear, thanks java. the first time out i was in the area for a week but really focused on glendale. when i went back for orientation at cgcc, i didn't really have a chance to go exploring in chandler as i flew allegiant and was only there wed pm through fri am.

from their website, i really like the chandler court apartments. going to have my friend that's local go check them and midtown on main in mesa out. any others you think i should have her go look at?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,885 times
Whatever you decide go with a six month lease if you can, so that once you are here and know the area a little better you can upgrade if you want to.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 PM

good tip, thanks infocyde! do many places offer 6 month leases?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _m1key View Post
that's good to hear, thanks java. the first time out i was in the area for a week but really focused on glendale. when i went back for orientation at cgcc, i didn't really have a chance to go exploring in chandler as i flew allegiant and was only there wed pm through fri am.

from their website, i really like the chandler court apartments. going to have my friend that's local go check them and midtown on main in mesa out. any others you think i should have her go look at?
Be careful of Mesa, it can be sketchy compared to Chandler but there are still some good areas, not sure about the midtown area.

If you decide to live in Chandler near the fashion mall chances are you'll be in a better neighborhood with good freeway access to the 101 and 202, but the area of Mesa you're thinking about would probably be a longer drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area