Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The inevitable result of giving children a trophy for losing for years now.
You're implying that they're soft. Softies would bend over and take it in silence. Protest and standing up for what one's views are fundamental pillars of being American.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:56 AM

586 posts, read 541,787 times
I'm implying that they are accustomed to never losing and never having to accept defeat. They always get to win even when they are not winning. There is nothing to gain by protesting the results of an election. And when it progresses to violence and destruction like most do who pays for that lesson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're implying that they're soft. Softies would bend over and take it in silence. Protest and standing up for what one's views are fundamental pillars of being American.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:02 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I'm implying that they are accustomed to never losing and never having to accept defeat. They always get to win even when they are not winning. There is nothing to gain by protesting the results of an election. And when it progresses to violence and destruction like most do who pays for that lesson?
What you are describing is how most people describe "Millennials", that they've spent most of their lives coddled and feel entitled. What is happening is these are predominantly Hispanic schools and IMO are protesting not because they are Millennials, but because of their perception of how Trump will treat minorities, whether correct or not.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Exactly. I saw some of them on Van Buren on Wednesday, I could hear more walkout-er's yesterday.

I'm sure the schools will handle it. They don't have to be working grownups yet. Walk in their shoes a bit.
I was actually a kid once/was in that environment so that's why I mentioned peer acceptance, "yay, time off!", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
What you are describing is how most people describe "Millennials", that they've spent most of their lives coddled and feel entitled. What is happening is these are predominantly Hispanic schools and IMO are protesting not because they are Millennials, but because of their perception of how Trump will treat minorities, whether correct or not.
If I was an illegal alien and I was a kid and my parents put me in such a position and broke our nations law in regards to being here illegally, I'd be a bit nervous under trump in Phoenix and beyond too. But marching/cutting class/protesting isn't going to change any of that reality.

The rest of minorities, including all US legal citizens, have protection under the law to be treated equally/fairly so the rest of the matter is a non-issue.

Last edited by stevek64; 11-11-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 11:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Exactly. I saw some of them on Van Buren on Wednesday, I could hear more walkout-er's yesterday.

I'm sure the schools will handle it. They don't have to be working grownups yet. Walk in their shoes a bit.
What shoes would that be exactly? Having everything provided and only having to go to school shoes? I've been in those so what's your point?
No, they don't have to be working grown ups yet BUT this is the point that they are (or should be) receiving and education both from the parents AND the school as to what being an adult means and the consequences of your decisions/actions. Don't you agree?

As for the idea "the schools will handle it", do you really believe this to be true given the recent history of schools handling things?
Do you think detention will be handed out for cutting class? Somehow I highly doubt it but hey, stranger things have happened.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
I wonder how big the revolts would have been if Hillary had won instead?

You can't please all the people all of the time...

Old 11-11-2016, 12:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What shoes would that be exactly? Having everything provided and only having to go to school shoes? I've been in those so what's your point?
No, they don't have to be working grown ups yet BUT this is the point that they are (or should be) receiving and education both from the parents AND the school as to what being an adult means and the consequences of your decisions/actions. Don't you agree?

As for the idea "the schools will handle it", do you really believe this to be true given the recent history of schools handling things?
Do you think detention will be handed out for cutting class? Somehow I highly doubt it but hey, stranger things have happened.
As I suggested in the second post of this thread, you should call the school and ask what they're planning to do if you're so worried.

Truancy statutes are state laws, by the way. It's not like they're negotiable. Every kid who cuts class knows the consequence. Once you've done your homework and called the school, you can report back to us and feel free to use this emoticon a few more times.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This election profoundly affected their lives and their family. Many are fearful of the unknown. They are grieving. They are young. They need to express what they feel. It's not the Super Bowl. You don't just suck it up, have another beer and move on. You won. Be gracious in victory. The schools will deal with it as appropriate.
Come on...half the country didn't want Obama in 08 and 12. This nonsense didn't happen then. It is an election, we've been electing Presidents for 227 years. "fearful", "unknown", "grieving"...are you kidding me? I felt all those things both times Obama was elected as did millions of Americans and we acted like responsible Americans and moved on with life and didn't resort to protests and violence. It is always the left that explains this behavior away as acceptable.

Screams of "not my president", violence, threats, vulgarity, etc. is simply unacceptable and every American should be denouncing this. Instead the left is defending and promoting it.

The left screams about tolerance but are never willing to be tolerant of the views of those that hold different beliefs.

The bad part is...I'll bet 99% of those out protesting in the streets of this country didn't even vote.

As far as the school kids walking out...they should be disciplined for doing so. They want to protest they can do it outside of school hours. I don't know of any responsible adult that gets to leave work to protest, we should not be allowing students to do this on school time and reinforcing that this is proper behavior.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Come on...half the country didn't want Obama in 08 and 12. This nonsense didn't happen then. It is an election, we've been electing Presidents for 227 years. "fearful", "unknown", "grieving"...are you kidding me? I felt all those things both times Obama was elected as did millions of Americans and we acted like responsible Americans and moved on with life and didn't resort to protests and violence. It is always the left that explains this behavior away as acceptable.

Screams of "not my president", violence, threats, vulgarity, etc. is simply unacceptable and every American should be denouncing this. Instead the left is defending and promoting it.

The left screams about tolerance but are never willing to be tolerant of the views of those that hold different beliefs.

The bad part is...I'll bet 99% of those out protesting in the streets of this country didn't even vote.

As far as the school kids walking out...they should be disciplined for doing so. They want to protest they can do it outside of school hours. I don't know of any responsible adult that gets to leave work to protest, we should not be allowing students to do this on school time and reinforcing that this is proper behavior.
Right. There was no violence, vulgarity nor anti-Obama protests coming from the "moral majority".

Old 11-11-2016, 03:04 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

Obama didn't threaten to deport 11million people, which impacts more than just the 11million and disproportionately impacts regions like Phoenix which are very close to one of the primary sources of those likely candidates.

I'm a well to do white guy like I'm sure most are on this board, I can't pretend that I understand the position that a lot of our fellow residents are being placed in, I may agree that illegal immigration is bad, but I don't think the children of those immigrants necessarily see it the same way, and I don't expect them to.

The school is reinforcing nothing because as has been pointed out a few times already, truancy is law not district policy, these students will feel punishment if they miss class too many times.

Should the teachers be forced to hold back angry students? Because we don't pay them enough to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area