Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM

189 posts, read 230,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Before I moved to Phoenix, I had heard it all about Scottsdale. But, oddly it is far less pretentious, outgoing and interesting than central and downtown Phoenix.

Phoenix has some really nice suburbs. Phoenix itself though extremely rude. National surveys with people reading from all over the world rate Phoenix as 2nd rudest city in America.

Other than some interesting brownstones that try to emulate Brooklyn for a block, the area around Roosevelt Row is interesting for maybe a 10 minute walk or meal but it is so small.

The fact that Roosevelt Row is the best downtown offers for a city of 1.6 million says alot. Downtown Gilbert, Mill Avenue and Old Town in the suburbs are far superior.

I have heard Westgate in Glendale is nice, but I have no intention of going to Glendale as it is just a huge Maryvale mostly.

Roosevelt Row is also very pretentious compared to even Old Town. It sure isn't bohemian like what they try to portray it.

I don't understand the appeal of a condo in downtown Phoenix with all it's problems when there are very nice row-homes in first-class downtown Gilbert for much less money.

Scottsdale is very interesting because it is full of dual-income no kids couples who are extroverted and retirees with time to explore the city.

downtown Phoenix just is not appealing at all in my opinion. They can build expensive condo's but people have to drive to 20th and Highland for a decent shopping selection.

Phoenix has an extremely poor inner-city surrounding downtown with the only decent areas being north of
downtown and those pockets while being very nice and extremely small in area.
Roosevelt Row pretentious compared to Old Town? holy sht...I've heard it all lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
Roosevelt Row pretentious compared to Old Town? holy sht...I've heard it all lol
lovecrowds is our resident +r@!!, who thinks that North Dakota is Paradise😂

Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM

369 posts, read 269,417 times
Default You make a lot of sense but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What we need are higher paying corporate jobs ... and yes, it would be great if more of those jobs would be right downtown and if people would live closer to work. Regardless, it doesn't help when one of the largest employers in the Phoenix area is going to move jobs out of the main tower downtown to a suburban location in yet another bland office park away from eateries and anything walkable. Not only that, but the Chase Tower is right on the light rail line, and there are employees who rely on this or the bus system for commuting to & from their jobs. The new location is not on any light rail line, has more limited bus service, and is going to be a longer commute for many employees. How is that best for them?

It's not only Chase, but all these other large companies like USAA, Avnet, Petsmart, Godaddy, Paypal, American Express, etc. with either HQs or regional offices here which aren't in the central core where they should be, but instead they're housed in the same kind of suburban office parks which require long commutes for a lot of employees. If these firms were encouraged to relocate downtown along with all the ones you listed, that alone would create the need for more office space, and likely stimulate more construction in the form of highrises for these companies. That would not only enhance the skyline, but it would create a demand for even more restaurants & shops to move in, and also be an incentive for more people to live in a more central location.

Some people are content with a few generic looking, cheaply built low or midrise buildings in the central core, and a bunch of small businesses, but sorry to say that's not the way you grow a downtown area in a large city and make it world class. That would probably work just fine in small cities like Flagstaff or Prescott, but not Phoenix! It's high time we grow up and quit acting so small townish.

This is true for the most part, but there are some exceptions. Greyhound and Dial Corporation moved to Phoenix from Chicago in the 1970s and were headquartered on Central Avenue for roughly 20 years ... until they decided to move out to north Scottsdale in the 1990s, lost a good share of their employee base, and ended up moving to CT. And let's try not to be like Silicon Valley. I realize tech jobs are the in thing these days, but a lot of the Silicon Valley tech firms are in office parks similar to the ones here. That's one of the reasons why San Jose has a tiny skyline for a city its size.
A lot of companies all over America have offices in the suburbs and for a very good reason. Has to do with costs and available land.

Another thing, do you know a lot of those companies have people working there who live a short driving distance away? I'm all for putting more skyscrapers and people in DT Phoenix but think about it, what if all the big companies were there? Traffic would be a total mess, much more than what it is now.

I agree with you about public transit, people who depend on it are inconvenienced if their jobs go to a location that's car-centric.

What I'd like to see Phoenix do is continue to develop not only the Downtown area but different urban centers like LA area has. It's happening right before our eyes, places that were empty or suburban 20 years ago are getting more urban and dense. The cow town image is mostly gone and that's a good sign.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
A lot of companies all over America have offices in the suburbs and for a very good reason. Has to do with costs and available land.

Another thing, do you know a lot of those companies have people working there who live a short driving distance away? I'm all for putting more skyscrapers and people in DT Phoenix but think about it, what if all the big companies were there? Traffic would be a total mess, much more than what it is now.
So you're saying that the employees at USAA live close by? You're saying that the employees at the Chase Tower who will move to the new location live close by? It's funny you're concerned about traffic. Downtown areas are supposed to be high traffic areas, while suburban areas are supposed to be quieter and more residential. When you have companies with their HQs or regional offices in the suburbs, this only adds more traffic to what are supposed to be reduced traffic areas. Isn't that one thing a suburb is supposed to be about?! And sure, there are suburban office parks all over the country, but a good share of them are satellite offices. The main corporate HQs of many firms are housed in highrises in a central location. Here are a few examples:
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/29/amaz...n-seattle.html
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...sson_Plaza.jpg
https://encircleworldphotos.photoshe...000xyJSxVWyd6o
Comerica Bank Tower

Quote:
I agree with you about public transit, people who depend on it are inconvenienced if their jobs go to a location that's car-centric.
Precisely one of my points. Suburban office parks create more demand for driving which increases traffic congestion and can mean long commutes. I can tell you for a fact that a lot of employees who work in these locations do not live close by, and the transit service is much more limited. And people wonder why there's a lot of speeding here? Who wants to spend extra time commuting to & from work?!

Quote:
What I'd like to see Phoenix do is continue to develop not only the Downtown area but different urban centers like LA area has. It's happening right before our eyes, places that were empty or suburban 20 years ago are getting more urban and dense. The cow town image is mostly gone and that's a good sign.
Well, this definitely isn't a bad thing, but I still think most of the corporate offices and a good share of the nightlife & activity should be in downtown Phoenix. After all, the central cores of most cities are where the bulk of the corporations, government offices, cultural activities, pro sports, etc. are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area