Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 AM

157 posts, read 568,680 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for wet, the wettest in Arizona is Flagstaff, but it's plenty cold. It's been raining and/or snowing almost every day this month. The rest of the cities and towns are either steppe climate (Tucson, Prescott, Payson, Sierra Vista) or desert climate (Phoenix, Yuma, Kingman).

There's a good variety, but nothing in Arizona resembles anything in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For sure. Most of the homes are new and luxury, in gated communities on golf courses. There are lots of old homes with gravel driveways, too, but the majority are new estates. It so nice up there, Im jealous. Great views, cooler weather, vast nighttime stars, great scenery. Its all part of the "overpriced" package I guess.
Eh...I wouldn't say it is overpriced, per se...there are some very nice homes and like anywhere...you pay to play. Or relax as the case may be.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I don't think the rest of the country would understand how we actually know the temperature difference of a couple degrees of a few miles away. I bet they laugh and wonder why we care..
In a way I agree. The difference between 105 and 110 degrees is miniscule. If the sun is blazing, heat is still heat to me. The biggest difference between the established urban areas and places like far north Scottsdale, Carefree, or Fountain Hills is the night/early morning temperatures. In the hottest part of the summer, it can be 90 degrees at Sky Harbor for the overnight low, but maybe 75 to 80 degrees in those outlying elevated areas. With this comes colder winter temperatures. If it's 40 degrees at Sky Harbor, it can easily be freezing or below in those areas.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In a way I agree. The difference between 105 and 110 degrees is miniscule. If the sun is blazing, heat is still heat to me. The biggest difference between the established urban areas and places like far north Scottsdale, Carefree, or Fountain Hills is the night/early morning temperatures. In the hottest part of the summer, it can be 90 degrees at Sky Harbor for the overnight low, but maybe 75 to 80 degrees in those outlying elevated areas. With this comes colder winter temperatures. If it's 40 degrees at Sky Harbor, it can easily be freezing or below in those areas.
But if you get into one of the irrigated areas of the city, the difference can feel even greater IMO with the shade and moisture.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In the hottest part of the summer, it can be 90 degrees at Sky Harbor for the overnight low, but maybe 75 to 80 degrees in those outlying elevated areas.
Make that 100 for an overnight low and you would be more accurate. YAY Heat Island!!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I've often wished there were a reasonably large city somewhere between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Phoenix is just too hot, Flagstaff is too cold and I don't want to deal with snow in the winter.

Prescott is pretty nice but there is absolutely *NOTHING* around it for maybe 100 miles or more. And just not big enough to provide all the big city conveniences I want.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've often wished there were a reasonably large city somewhere between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Phoenix is just too hot, Flagstaff is too cold and I don't want to deal with snow in the winter.

Prescott is pretty nice but there is absolutely *NOTHING* around it for maybe 100 miles or more. And just not big enough to provide all the big city conveniences I want.
Im with you there.

I think the terrain between here and Flag is just too extreme to build anything large like Phoenix. Then there will always be the water issue, and how to pipe it up that way.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM

So start moving to the Verde Valley and build it.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM

41 posts, read 68,761 times
This might be a stupid question but, I was wondering which areas suffer less from the urban heat island effect? I'm not concerned with saving a degree or 2 during the day but I'd like cooler night and early morning temps. If I worked downtown are there any areas that fit the bill and also have a reasonable commute?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedguy86 View Post
This might be a stupid question but, I was wondering which areas suffer less from the urban heat island effect? I'm not concerned with saving a degree or 2 during the day but I'd like cooler night and early morning temps. If I worked downtown are there any areas that fit the bill and also have a reasonable commute?
Near downtown? Areas with irrigation can feel cooler (but also more humid; trade-off). Or, areas on or immediately adjacent to a mountain will get a lot more breeze, etc., than most of the Valley, but homes on a mountain tend to be quite expensive.

Unfortunately there's no quick or easy answer; they generally all involve a change in elevation, which either means pricy real estate or a longer drive to get up north of the 101 where the elevation really starts to increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area